• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If there is a foreclosure around you, there's your source for another can or 2 if you dont mind borrowing. Or ask a neighbor for theirs if they are moving. That's how I got my 2nd can.

Now for the fun. Make it a game to see how high you can stack the crap. Don't pIle it on the lid as they won't take it, but if the lid is open, feel free to pile it 10 feet tall. They still take it. I've put appliances on top, and they take it if the scrappers don't.

Ha! That thought had already occurred to me, but from what I've heard, if something falls out while they are attempting to dump the can, they just leave it on the ground. If that's the case I'd just have to clean it up myself anyway.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Ha! That thought had already occurred to me, but from what I've heard, if something falls out while they are attempting to dump the can, they just leave it on the ground. If that's the case I'd just have to clean it up myself anyway.

Out of curiosity, why are you guys hating on the drivers of the trucks? SOME drivers get paid hourly plus a bonus for picking up "X" number of cans. To dislike what you see as a "wrong" (the can) is one thing but to mess with someones paycheck....he's just trying to make a living.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Out of curiosity, why are you guys hating on the drivers of the trucks? SOME drivers get paid hourly plus a bonus for picking up "X" number of cans. To dislike what you see as a "wrong" (the can) is one thing but to mess with someones paycheck....he's just trying to make a living.

I'm not messing with anyone's paycheck. If anything, this new program will though since less personnel will be needed if all the new trucks need is the driver. As for not picking the spilled stuff up, I figure those are the rules they're given. Wasn't implying that it was out of laziness, so I'm sorry if it came across that way. My beef is with the program, not the drivers.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I saw a trash co setting new cans out on the SS off Lynhurst this afternoon. I commented to my partner about this thread and,how we should load a few cans up and sell them to those less fortunate.

ItchySides

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Wanatah
    I hear you. I've lived out in the country for like, ever but now I'm stuck in a town that has all the stupid rules.

Can't shoot.
    Can't burn my trash or leaves or anything.
    No well or septic so I'm paying for water and sewer.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't dig without a permit.
    Can't fix the house without a permit.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't park on my lawn, front or back.
    Not suppose to work on your vehicle unless in the garage.
    Can't shoot.
    Can't do yard work naked.

I can't wait to find some property in the boonies again. :(
    That's why I love living in the country. But in our county, they made us have recycling service and billed it in our property taxes. I don't remember voting for that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Im not messing or hating on the drivers either. I have utmost respect for them in general. They earn their keep, and its a hard, nasty job. Their job is just as important (Id argue moreso) than a CEO.

What I DO have a beef with is lazy, half assed work. Something falls? Pick. It. Up.

Overall we have good guys that work our route. They are efficient, and when raining, they leave the cans neatly upside down.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Im not messing or hating on the drivers either. I have utmost respect for them in general. They earn their keep, and its a hard, nasty job. Their job is just as important (Id argue moreso) than a CEO.

What I DO have a beef with is lazy, half assed work. Something falls? Pick. It. Up.

Overall we have good guys that work our route. They are efficient, and when raining, they leave the cans neatly upside down.

We are talking the new cans. The point of these cans is efficiency, and safety. They want the drivers to stay in that truck, and for the most part will not allow the driver to leave that truck. That is why these cans were invented. Can you imagine the amount of workers hurt on the job? Lifting, traffic, slipping on ice, etc. One workers comp claim is worth a new truck.

They spend millions in research to streamline a make safe a VERY hazardous profession. They do not want people to lift a couple hundred bags of trash a day, so something was needed, a new way of doing things. Front loaders, Side loaders, Curotto cans etc. Again they (the company) have THOUSANDS of houses to pick every week. Stop and think most homes have trash pick up right? Now how many homes in your town/city? 20-30-40-100 THOUSAND?

"What I DO have a beef with is lazy, half assed work. Something falls? Pick. It. Up"

Sorry that's your job, If it's in the can with the lid down it shouldn't fall out.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'm just having a really hard time trying to figure out how someone can't fit a weeks worth of trash in a 96 gallon can. We've been doing this for several years now. We don't recycle, we don't burn anything, we also don't throw limbs and yard debris in it. Most weeks it is only about 3/4 full for a family of 3 humans and 5 pets. We do have a second can, it sits empty most of the time. A neighbor had bought an extra and when they moved, they gave it to us.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have, at various points in my life:

1) Burned trash and then hauled the barrel to the dump once it was full of ash.
    2) Paid per bag
    3) Paid a private company per month
    4) Used my own cans for a city hauler
    5) Used a city provided can

I've pretty well figured out how to deal with all of them without much issue. Is this really that rage inducing?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have, at various points in my life:

1) Burned trash and then hauled the barrel to the dump once it was full of ash.
    2) Paid per bag
    3) Paid a private company per month
    4) Used my own cans for a city hauler
    5) Used a city provided can

I've pretty well figured out how to deal with all of them without much issue. Is this really that rage inducing?

"Rage" is a little strong. More like an irritant. I will likely almost never fill the 96 gallon can with regular household trash. I have no issue with that. I just would like them to still pick up yard debris that won't fit in the cans. So give me the can... but still allow me up to 9 (heck, I'd settle for an additional 5) other bags/bundles of yard debris and I'd be happy. Even allow it every other week for that matter. They're making special trips to pick up peoples' recycling, so why not for yard debris?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I also haven't heard what they'll do in the fall for leaf pickup. Currently we've been allowed up to 25 bags of leaves (I mulch mine, so I don't bag). Is that going to go away too or will that still be allowed?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "Rage" is a little strong. More like an irritant. I will likely almost never fill the 96 gallon can with regular household trash. I have no issue with that. I just would like them to still pick up yard debris that won't fit in the cans. So give me the can... but still allow me up to 9 (heck, I'd settle for an additional 5) other bags/bundles of yard debris and I'd be happy. Even allow it every other week for that matter. They're making special trips to pick up peoples' recycling, so why not for yard debris?

WE have always dealt with the overflow of generated trash.
    Doing as much work as we do out of my little shop there is always something. As with the ongoing remodel construction.
    New pool....huge box.
    Battery powered "Barbie" cars for the terrorists....2 huge boxes.
    Seems we are typical consumers. There is always something beyond the cans that needs attention.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I also haven't heard what they'll do in the fall for leaf pickup. Currently we've been allowed up to 25 bags of leaves (I mulch mine, so I don't bag). Is that going to go away too or will that still be allowed?

City never has picked up our leaves.....never.

We do mulch and put them on the garden but the neighbors dont.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

40 bags of leaves.

You can still get rid of bundles of sticks on heavy trash day. 3'x3' counts as one item, you can have two at a time. Indy web site tells you your heavy trash day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    40 bags of leaves.

You can still get rid of bundles of sticks on heavy trash day. 3'x3' counts as one item, you can have two at a time. Indy web site tells you your heavy trash day.

I guess I'll have to adapt (don't really have a choice). But one good wind storm generates a lot more than 2 bundles in my yard at least. Guess I'll have to find a place to stack the stuff until it's dry enough to burn.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The city doesn't come by with the vacuum truck? Rake the leaves in the gutter or don't they do that any more?

I've never know Indianapolis to do that. Bagged leaves, separate from your regular trash, gets picked up same day as trash day

Yep, ^^^this^^^. Smaller municipalities like Greenwood do it I believe. And my area doesn't have gutters (or even sidewalks for that matter) to rake them into anyway.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    You could buy a chipper/spreader for your limbs/ branches and put it around your rose bush's, cause rose bush's like that you know.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom