• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Never said you should cut down your trees. Just saying that folks in general should try to compost yard waste on site if possible. I don't have kide either but (insert purple) providing education to children is seen as value added for the community as a whole.

I never said anything like that. I said that I objected to being charged the same as someone who regularly used the service 8 to 10 times as much as I did. Feel free to put out as much waste as you wish, I simply want users to be charged for their use of the service.

I think that is the way it should be. When I lived in the city of Jasper it was like $1.25 per sticker for a bag of trash. It was nice to only pay for what you use. Now that I live out in the sticks I have to haul my 1 bag every other week to the collection center along with my recyclables. $1 per bag and recyclables are free, and its on my way to and from work, so no extra gas for me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I 100% understand this statement and feel your pain.

BTW, what does your city/county charge? In Evansville it is $10.65/month added to the water/sewer bill which includes a 96 gallon trash bin picked up weekly, a similar sized recycle bin picked up every 2 weeks, and a couple heavy trash days scheduled in the spring and fall.
    I'm not sure what the charge is currently since it's part of my property taxes, not a separate charge (we're on well/septic, so no water/sewer bill to add it to). And I apologize for coming across harshly snorko. I do understand that they have good intentions with this, but I just don't agree that it's going to help the situation as much as they think it is. And actually in some places it's been implemented, it hasn't. I read comments from people that have it and they say if a single bag of trash falls out of the can while the truck arm is picking it up, the driver won't pick it up, so now you have trash just laying loose on the ground again.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think that is the way it should be. When I lived in the city of Jasper it was like $1.25 per sticker for a bag of trash. It was nice to only pay for what you use. Now that I live out in the sticks I have to haul my 1 bag every other week to the collection center along with my recyclables. $1 per bag and recyclables are free, and its on my way to and from work, so no extra gas for me.

I could even agree with something like this (although I think $1.25 per bag or item is pretty steep). For our area though, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Once again, the government is deciding what is "best" for us without any forethought of the consequences, and once again, responsible citizens are being forced to pay for the actions of irresponsible citizens.

We were notified that beginning around the end of next month, we will be "given" (guarantee it ain't free) a single 96 gallon trash can to which we MUST use to put our trash out by the curb. Up until now, we have always been allowed up to 10 items - whether it's a can, a bag or a bundle of branches - each counts as one item. With the new can, we will be limited to what will fit in the can. On average, about every other week, we either hit or come close to reaching our limit of items. We have a large yard with lots of trees, shrubs and flower beds. It generates a large amount of "yard waste". I don't bag my grass, and I mulch my leaves, so I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about sticks and twigs from the trees, trimmings from the shrubs, and weeds from the flower beds. And if there's any kind of wind storm, then we often have more than 10 bundles of branches and have to spread it out over a couple of weeks to get rid of it.

This new policy is supposed to (quoting the Mayor's Action Committee), "reduce illegal dumping and keep alley ways free from trash". So, can someone explain to me how picking up LESS trash is going to make alley ways cleaner (we don't have alleys in our neighborhood btw) or reduce illegal dumping? They won't pick up anything that's not in the container, so it seems to me that it's going to INCREASE illegal dumping, and any trash that won't fit in the containers will just lay on the ground. I guess I will just have to start burning my lawn debris. That will probably result in someone calling the fire department. The fire department has big trucks. Maybe they will haul it away for me.

I know what I'd like to do... find the addresses of all the city council members that voted for this, and haul my crap over to their yard and let them deal with it. I won't of course, because I am a responsible citizen. A responsible citizen that is being penalized for following the rules and keeping my property looking nice. :soapbox:

We have been on this program for a few years now.
    Yes, some of the crap neighbors (they have all moved but not because of the trash limiting wheeled dumpster) left there trash bags out and this drew the vemin, varmints and such to tear them up. Also done on the curb when we stacked our bags out there for the trash collectors (plural) to pick up.
    Now there is one person (usually on the damn phone) snatching these containers up.
    We opted for a 2nd container (on us of course) as 1 is seldom enough to keep up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We have been on this program for a few years now.
    Yes, some of the crap neighbors (they have all moved but not because of the trash limiting wheeled dumpster) left there trash bags out and this drew the vemin, varmints and such to tear them up. Also done on the curb when we stacked our bags out there for the trash collectors (plural) to pick up.
    Now there is one person (usually on the damn phone) snatching these containers up.
    We opted for a 2nd container (on us of course) as 1 is seldom enough to keep up.

Well, we have no labor shortage. How many able bodied people are on government assistance? Seems to me that they could pick up trash for that money. If they're truly looking for work, then there ya go... instant job... and we would be getting some kind of return on that investment. They get job experience, and we get trash picked up. Win-win. :)

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    we have had these trash cans for several years now. I love them. They are sturdier than the ones you buy at the store. When we first got them I thought we would need another. It was a one time $60.00 fee then I believe. Well we didn't. We seldom fill it to the top unless we have a party or Christmas. I have limbs that fall out of my trees all the time, I just save it all and have a nice "comfort" fire when the guys come over for a beer. The truck that does our neighborhood actually has 3 guys, one driver and 2 on the back. They go down the street one direction and pull the cans to the truck where the lifts lift them up into the truck. Very smooth operation if you ask me. You may find that these cans will work for you after all. I know it did for us, and we are a family of 4. -Jason

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    we have had these trash cans for several years now. I love them. They are sturdier than the ones you buy at the store. When we first got them I thought we would need another. It was a one time $60.00 fee then I believe. Well we didn't. We seldom fill it to the top unless we have a party or Christmas. I have limbs that fall out of my trees all the time, I just save it all and have a nice "comfort" fire when the guys come over for a beer. The truck that does our neighborhood actually has 3 guys, one driver and 2 on the back. They go down the street one direction and pull the cans to the truck where the lifts lift them up into the truck. Very smooth operation if you ask me. You may find that these cans will work for you after all. I know it did for us, and we are a family of 4. -Jason

I do have a fire pit that I use to burn the small dead stuff, but it doesn't work for the stuff that's still green. That's what gets bundled currently. For example, just this past weekend I cut down a row of peonies that was about 100' long. That's not going to fit in one, or even two 96 gallon cans.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    And the argument above (snorko) that "nobody needs to be putting 10 bags (or bundles) of trash in the landfill every week" sounds suspiciously like the "nobody needs more than a 7 round magazine" argument.

You use bundles of trash for self defense? Otherwise, this post makes no sense.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, we have no labor shortage. How many able bodied people are on government assistance? Seems to me that they could pick up trash for that money. If they're truly looking for work, then there ya go... instant job... and we would be getting some kind of return on that investment. They get job experience, and we get trash picked up. Win-win. :)

I have said this so many times to fall on deaf ears.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    In the context of a government or other entity telling me what I need or don't need it does.

But you are in favor of penalizing others if they don't follow the rules regarding trash and dumping? It's ok for the trash company to make decisions for homeowners, as long as you still can do what you want?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But you are in favor of penalizing others if they don't follow the rules regarding trash and dumping? It's ok for the trash company to make decisions for homeowners, as long as you still can do what you want?

Well, maybe you find it acceptable to dump your trash on the ground and let your property become overgrown, but I don't. That's just taking personal responsibility. There are already laws on the books to ensure that peoples' property doesn't become an eyesore or public health hazard, so all they need to do is enforce those laws if they want to deter people from engaging in that behavior. It's not the trash company that is making the decision to do this by the way. It's our own lawmakers.

And yes, I'm all for penalizing those that break the laws. What I am not in favor of is penalizing those of us that don't. You disagree?

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana

Yea dat theirs a lot of people dat need to learn to pick up trash

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Oh, we're going to have sewers put in in the next couple of years I'm sure. I have a perfectly functioning septic system and well. I'm not happy about that either. If they feel they need to run the sewer and water lines, that's fine. I'll not be happy about my yard being torn up, but I can repair that. Hooking up to it should be voluntary though, until such time that they can prove to me that my septic system and well are posing a harm.

Get a quote on a new septic system in the mean time. It might be a good gift horse. I know when I looked into one years ago before going the city route I nearly choked.

Top Bottom