• Honest trade gone awry

• Total voters

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I have been in your shoes several times due to Craigs List and E-Bay. I have a few rules when selling items. First, I never have them come to my house when I am receiving CASH or Trade for an item. I do not want them to have a place to come harass me at. Second I tell them in the e-mail, text message, and face to face all sales are final. There fore if they are upset I can just block the e-mail or number from my phone.

Now in this instance I would say TOUGH KaKa to the guy and ignore him. It is not our job as a seller to inform our customer of what he or she is buying or trading. With the WWW today it is STUPID not to get information on everything you buy or sell. I would say ignore/block this guy and have a GREAT day.

once again just my :twocents:

Do you cover your license plate when your doing a trade? Sure you can block text and email but you can still be found if the person you did the deal with recorded your plate number.

As far as the Op goes. Just remember "Karma is a @%#$!".....

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    I'd venture to say that somebody clued him in about the **** poor trade he conducted. If he was happy enough to walk away, what suddenly changed his opinion so strongly? There almost had to be some outside influence to change his mind. I'd probably reply 1 time stating "no ill intentions, but you walked away...done deal", and then ignore/block number as necessary. :twocents:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    First off I would say the kel tec is worth under $400 in real conditions used. Secondly, the whole deal sounds goofy but if the trade was made then its a done deal IMO. I don't use craigslist for firearms, and am careful for normal items listed there.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Ignore him. He made the trade and though you got a lot more out of it than he did, he really should have known better. I mean he bought the gun or got it in some other trade and he knew what it was worth to him. Sorry he doesn't like what he got but he had time to look it over and decide that it was a good trade. IMO he could have always said "no" to the trade and walked away. If you don't do your research before you make a trade then it's your own fault if you get taken for a ride! No takesies backsies!

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...289150-i_just_got_ripped_off.html#post4099284

Connection here ?

Belated April Fool's Day to you as well !

Just emailed this guy on craigslist about his 30-30 to trade for my tactical KELTEC 9mm assault rifle carbine.

He shows up to the trade WITH A 22 RIFLE!!!!!!! :ar15:

I can't even begin to explain how mad I am at this point. Seriously? I wanted your 30-30!

So I did the trade anyway. But now that I'm looking this gun over I WANT MY KELTEC BACK. This gun is made by some hole-in-the-wall gun company called "Remington" and is apparently a total piece of junk.

I've been texting this guy nonstop and I'm about to go find him and BEAT HIM DOWN.

What should I do?

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I would not have even done the deal.
    He asks where you have the gun, and says he is armed too, just doesn't sit right with me. Especially considering he wants a straight up trade when he had the better gun.
    Plus he is looking for guns on craigslist, listing guns is against CL terms of use. I get rid if those ads myself. Just like INGO has rules that we all follow, so does CL. Flagging a bad ad on CL isn't any different than reporting classifieds violation here.

I say a trade is a trade, by your messages you did not deceive him.

Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Sell me the KelTec for $100 and you won't have to feel bad. Then you can tell him it is gone. Or you could lose it in a tragic boating accident.

A trade is a trade.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have dealt with folks who had buyers/traders remorse in the past. Not at a 500% differential but folks who had to have something I was selling/trading and pushed to get it. A few times these morons get schooled and try to get there money/trade back.
    Once you leave with it it is yours.....period. I have no idea what you have done to the item since having possession.

Now this deal is a situation that could come back to haunt you in your Karma. You saw the differential and went for it as many would. Myself.....I may have passed due to the level of idiocy in his communications. JMHO and you are on your own.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    This^^ x100

There are always two sides to every story and I guarantee we aren't hearing the whole story here.

This just adds to the long list of reasons why I won't EVER do business with the OP.:noway:

Agreed! He always seems to be in the middle of some sort of drama.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Was at a LGS recently. Fella brought in this exact same KelTek, brand new in the box. The LGS offered him like, $125-$150. Quoted him the price right out of the book. Of course I understand the difference between what a LGS will give below what a FTF sale would be, but still it's not a $600 gun.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Trade is a trade. Value is in the eye of the beholder, whatever motivations the particular parties have for trading are theirs. You both were aware of the items being traded, as long as the guns work as advertised there is no moral qualm that I see.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I am merely saying that OP knew what a 597 is worth ($100) and he knew what the Sub2000 is worth ($600), and that the other guy would be mad when he figured it out. That is brazen.

Does mommy still dress you in the morning? Two men met to trade. They both had a responsibility to to their due diligence BEFORE trading. Who the hell cares if one or the other knew the disparity in value?

Grow up. It's a tough world out there.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I don't advise using things like Craigslist. The potential danger is usually not worth the potential reward. However, if you're going to do so, there are some common-sense precautions that are a must:

1. Use a throw-away email address that means nothing to you. Make one in gmail, hotmail, etc. NEVER put your phone number in an ad and NEVER give it to anyone. Communicate by email only. Create a new temp email account each month. I use by initials, ABC, "temp", and the month/year. My current temp email is ABCtemp0413@hotmail.com

2. Put a code in your post that all responding must enter in the subject of their email reply. I use "13531." If their email doesn't have that in the subject, delete it w/o opening it. You've eliminated the automated responses.

3. Meet in a very public place in daylight. I use the parking lot of the Greenwood Police Dept.

4. When you meet, never use your real name or show any ID. If your buyer/seller is not agreeable, walk away. Sign nothing. Request nothing. Indiana doesn't require it. Evaluate your potential buyer/seller BEFORE arranging a meeting. This is easy to do with a little common-sense.

5. Cash only. This should be a no-brainer. If you're trading (again, not recommended), inspect carefully and be educated on what you are inspecting. If not, stay away from buying/trading or take someone with you who is knowledgeable.

This is the only way to conduct a FTF transaction arranged via something like Craigslist. Once you both leave the meeting, you have zero way to ever find each other again. That's how it should be. If you're going to engage in such a transaction, be a man. When you agree to the deal and leave with the item, you own it. Period. Due diligence happens BEFORE the deal is done. Not after.

Top Bottom