• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I more or less raised an eyebrow and found it rather telling and a view into the mindset that foments the disinformation within the ranks when I noticed the subject of the memo was addressing the "Concealed Carry Law" which proves that although they may be trying with the content of the memo they still have a ways to go before they can bring about any real change in educating officers.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I more or less raised an eyebrow and found it rather telling and a view into the mindset that foments the disinformation within the ranks when I noticed the subject of the memo was addressing the "Concealed Carry Law" which proves that although they may be trying with the content of the memo they still have a ways to go before they can bring about any real change in educating officers.

I don't know, yes they goofed the title a tad (though it is addressing the issue of concealed carry and the law), but the memo content states reality pretty clearly.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The FWPD should be enthusiastically applauded for this response. In my experience, it is rare for any PD to acknowledge its mistakes, much less apologize and take affirmative corrective action. Their officers made a bone-headed mistake and violated the law, but the FWPD leadership stepped up, did the right thing and displayed exceptional professionalism. I can think of a few PDs that could learn a lesson from this- instead of blaming the victim(s) of their ignorance.

Travis also deserves congratulations for standing up for his rights and taking a constructive approach to the issue. Ft. Wayne is a better place for gun owners today due to his resolve.

Guy

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The FWPD should be enthusiastically applauded for this response. In my experience, it is rare for any PD to acknowledge its mistakes, much less apologize and take affirmative corrective action. Their officers made a bone-headed mistake and violated the law, but the FWPD leadership stepped up, did the right thing and displayed exceptional professionalism. I can think of a few PDs that could learn a lesson from this- instead of blaming the victim(s) of their ignorance.

Travis also deserves congratulations for standing up for his rights and taking a constructive approach to the issue. Ft. Wayne is a better place for gun owners today due to his resolve.

Guy

Agreed. I suppose we could quibble here and there but it seems, per your request, they've admitted their error, apologized, and stated they would make corrections. Time will tell how well those corrective measures will be, until then, job well done Guy(s).

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    What impressed me was the fact they didn't even close their letter with............

P.S. You do realize that you'll be the first one shot in a robbery don't you! :laugh:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The lawyer and I received an awesome letter from the FWPD. I am very happy with the response. If someone can post the actual pic of the letter, my computer skills are lacking. Here is the link:

https://acrobat.com/#d=np9WxzGGBnr1XknkSrUT1w

tdoggpage1.png
    tdoggpage2.png

It may be nitpicking but to what "state statue" is the memo on the bottom referring?

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I am going to have to print a copy of that to keep with me. That way when I run into FWPD and they do the same I can show them their departments stance on current law.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am going to have to print a copy of that to keep with me. That way when I run into FWPD and they do the same I can show them their departments stance on current law.
    Good idea. Some advocate printing out the section of the ISP FAQ that addresses the legality of OC but if you are in the FW area you have a local document put out by the brass of the FWPD with the official stance recognizing OC as being legal.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't know, yes they goofed the title a tad (though it is addressing the issue of concealed carry and the law), but the memo content states reality pretty clearly.
    I was merely pointing out that there is no such thing as a "Concealed Carry Law" and the fact that the terminology that was used is something that is at the forefront of the issue because alot of members of LE believe and operate under the assumption that it is a concealed carry law.

Regardless of the observation that I made (and that's all it was) I am wholeheartedly in agreement with Guy's recent post and I give credit to the uppers in the Dept. for acknowledging the issue and taking some steps in the right direction and also to the OP for taking the initiative in pursuing this matter and giving it a chance to be rectified by the Dept. by way of educating their officers before any legal action was necessary.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I will be and think everyone should print this off and carry a copy with you in case it happens again! The cops will think we have an inside connection with our own printed copy of the email and letter!

nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    For example, in Speedway, it is illegal to carry a handgun concealed; it must be carried openly. Gary and East Chicago currently ban “assault weapons,” which, of course, explains why those cities have essentially eliminated violent gun crimes.
    lolwut. i fail to see how a ban on assault weapons would lead to no gun crime.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute

Guy

:+1:, both above :D

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I am actually surprised at how fast the response was from the PD. I thought it would take a lot longer to hear anything back. I can assure that letter will be with me at all times from now on.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am actually surprised at how fast the response was from the PD. I thought it would take a lot longer to hear anything back. I can assure that letter will be with me at all times from now on.
    If nothing else you, with the help of your esteemed attorney (h/t Guy Relford) got them to acknowledge on the record and also documented that OC is perfectly legal in the state of Indiana proving that there is no excuse for the type of further incidents or behaviour such as what took place in your case on the part of sworn personnel of the FWPD. Well done. :yesway:

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Why would anyone want to be willfully arrested? Come on guys. I'm all for standing up for my rights, but I draw the line at being arrested if I have a choice. I chose to comply to the Officer's requests which led to me not being arrested. I stated to him what my rights were, he told me otherwise. Right or wrong, I chose not to be arrested (falsely or justly). I would rather battle this through an attorney than put on a public demonstration. You can call me a coward if you like. Please keep in mind that I am a father, a husband, and run a business of 15 people. I have people who depend on me daily. The last thing I want is to argue with the police and be arrested for trying to prove a couple of officers wrong. Neither one of the officers were going to agree with me. I will battle this thing a way that works for me. I hope most of you understand this.
    Good for you. While I can understand some peoples want to send a message, you have to think of your family first.

Top Bottom