Not open for further replies.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I would add to the DJ mask incident:
    We have been told/guilted to "wear a mask because it protects others." "You are selfish if you don't wear a mask, because its to protect others, not you."
    In this case that doesn't seem to fit what happened. So which is it, mask protect you or others? I know this is only one example, but it does call some things into question. Maybe the masked people have it and they just aren't showing symptoms or are not coming forward with that information out of fear. Maybe it was transmitted through touch. Maybe they all caught it from someone else standing in that area and breathing, just the DJ was taking off his mask in that area and spending more time in that one location, therefore had a larger viral load and developed symptoms first.

My vote airline wise is we all voluntarily stop flying. If it is too dangerous to fly without a mask or to even be served water on some of these flights, it is too dangerous to be pack shoulder to shoulder, nut to butt for three or four hours. Only one airline that I have flown has reduced capacity of flights and it still isn't 6 feet. I bet some revenue loss would change things quickly. Heard some IL business finally decided to stay open despite orders because if they close they would cease to exist.

A lot of our rights are being squashed right now. The first amendment says the government cannot make any laws to restrict the free exercise of religion or abridging the right of peaceable assembly. It doesn't specify such assembly has to be political. We do not lose those rights if the amendment goes away or because something happens. Also could be said that the 14th amendment is being restricted in some cases.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    90-100 people there and the only ones that caught it were the ones who interacted with the DJ WITHOUT WEARING A MASK themselves.

And that's your take away?

Ironically and sadly, yes. This is a classic example of the DJ's mask NOT protecting others as has been claimed numerous times by numerous officials and almost all mask proponents.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Asked and answered... so I'll ask you, do seatbelts/airbags work?
    Like many things it depends on circumstances. I was in a car accident years before mandatory seat belt laws. Car spun and I wrapped it around a tree. I was told that I probably wouldn’t have survived if I were wearing seatbelts. But it was just those rare circumstances in which seatbelts might have made things worse. I still wear seatbelts.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I would add to the DJ mask incident:
    We have been told/guilted to "wear a mask because it protects others." "You are selfish if you don't wear a mask, because its to protect others, not you."
    In this case that doesn't seem to fit what happened. So which is it, mask protect you or others? I know this is only one example, but it does call some things into question. Maybe the masked people have it and they just aren't showing symptoms or are not coming forward with that information out of fear. Maybe it was transmitted through touch. Maybe they all caught it from someone else standing in that area and breathing, just the DJ was taking off his mask in that area and spending more time in that one location, therefore had a larger viral load and developed symptoms first.

My vote airline wise is we all voluntarily stop flying. If it is too dangerous to fly without a mask or to even be served water on some of these flights, it is too dangerous to be pack shoulder to shoulder, nut to butt for three or four hours. Only one airline that I have flown has reduced capacity of flights and it still isn't 6 feet. I bet some revenue loss would change things quickly. Heard some IL business finally decided to stay open despite orders because if they close they would cease to exist.

A lot of our rights are being squashed right now. The first amendment says the government cannot make any laws to restrict the free exercise of religion or abridging the right of peaceable assembly. It doesn't specify such assembly has to be political. We do not lose those rights if the amendment goes away or because something happens. Also could be said that the 14th amendment is being restricted in some cases.
    Short answer, both. Masks reduce but do not eliminate how much virus you emit/breath out into the air... ditto on protection, it reduces but does not eliminate what you breath in.

I think it's pretty clear that had no one worn masks, more people would have been infected, likely many more. As it was, all 6 were younger, mostly late 20's, and that plus alcohol probably influenced loosing their masks for the dance floor. All 6 got full blown COVID, all 6 have recovered... none recommend it. :)

DJ already had it... the incubation period to symptoms is 5-8 days. He showed symptoms 24 hours later.

Airplanes are interesting... apparently the HEPA filtering and frequent "change" of air with outside air (20-30 times per hours) cuts down on what, intuitively, seems very risky. Even so, I wouldn't want to fly full capacity, shoulder-to-shoulder with strangers.

Illinois has been whack! Governor locked down the whole state based upon Chicago even though there were few cases to speak of in, for example, S Illinois. Those people are pissed as hell and have a right to be... very poor leadership in Illinois.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Like many things it depends on circumstances. I was in a car accident years before mandatory seat belt laws. Car spun and I wrapped it around a tree. I was told that I probably wouldn’t have survived if I were wearing seatbelts. But it was just those rare circumstances in which seatbelts might have made things worse. I still wear seatbelts.
    Yup, it is about odds. An unsuited 7-2 can, and occasionally does, beat AA... but that doesn't make the hand to bet. :)

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Ironically and sadly, yes. This is a classic example of the DJ's mask NOT protecting others as has been claimed numerous times by numerous officials and almost all mask proponents.
    So, you think the outcome would have been the same if no one wore a mask?

Or, would have been the same if the DJ didn't mask at all, but everyone else stayed the same?

Not in 2 card Monte.

Lol! Unfortunately, this (COVID) is a game of odds, like poker, not magic (grift).

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Less than 50% of the room capacity, reduced numbers at each table, less tables spaced further apart... etc.

So, no, a swing and a miss.
    That was not the question. What County? Is it under Red (25 max) or Orange (50 max) under EO 20-48? There have been no Yellow counties for awhile.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    That was not the question. What County? Is it under Red (25 max) or Orange (50 max) under EO 20-48? There have been no Yellow counties for awhile.
    Been awhile, 2 months plus, and well within the guidelines at the time. Don't know if it was "required" by the gub'ment or not, but a mitigation plan was in place with help from the banquet facility.

So, how about you... do seatbelts/airbags work?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So, you think the outcome would have been the same if no one wore a mask?

Or, would have been the same if the DJ didn't mask at all, but everyone else stayed the same?

Lol! Unfortunately, this (COVID) is a game of odds, like poker, not magic (grift).

No, I think if you change the variables you probably change the outcome. What we have in real life is one set of variables as they were at that event and the outcome they produced. The DJ's mask didn't protect others.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Been awhile, 2 months plus, and well within the guidelines at the time. Don't know if it was "required" by the gub'ment or not, but a mitigation plan was in place with help from the banquet facility.

So non answer again...... How about a date of the event since you don't recall the county.....

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Just made my weekly errands. Didn't wear a mask anywhere. Smoke shop, gas station, Meijer, and Bass Pro. Dont disinfect anything I purchase. Normal hand washing is all. Same routine as any week prior to Kung flu. At work Interact with people and drive their vehicles. Same thing, no mask and no disinfectant

If you feel wearing a mask is a good thing, that's your right, and I won't argue with anyone on their choices.

See I'm of the thinking that small, brief exposures, I'm sure I have every week, make my immune system stronger and ready to fight. It's not based on any science, just understanding that being exposed to bacteria, viruses, etc is part of basic everyday life. That's what our immune system is for.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So if I understand this correctly....

Wear your mask because the testing is showing the virus is spreading.
    Wear your mask because a DJ infected 6 people while pre/asymptomatic.
    Multiple couples where one spouse will get it, but not the other.
    Five guys in a truck for two hours, one had it, no one else did, and tested negative after.
    Well, the testing must be flawed.
    Wear your mask because the testing is showing the virus is spreading.
    Just going back rereading some and figured out this may be related to my comment.

No, wear a mask because there is a virus in the air. Spread in breath, or droplets, or something like that. Probably also spread by people before they know they have the thing.
    Not because of testing, or any other figurehead dictated rule, for the most part, but because it seems to make sense to me in my experience.
    I do not wear a seatbelt except on long interstate trips maybe. In fact scrap kydex cut to fit the buckle makes good seatbelt dinger turner offers. I do not wear a seatbelt because I think it is immoral for the gov't to tell me I have to, and this is a bit of civil disobedience. I was in a wreck once where my dodge d50 t boned an F250, 50 to zero in 5 feet, I bent the wheel and kissed the windshield with forehead. So I don't believe in them the way our immoral govt tells us I should, but I don't stop someone from putting them on. I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is. It's about the odds, and there is a virus in the air that is killing people, and if you don't believe that at its simplest then just wait, because it believes in you.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    So non answer again...... How about a date of the event since you don't recall the county.....
    Don't believe me, I give no ****s. I'll not provide any specific information which is only useful for dox'ing... so forgetaboutit.

It was in a large banquet facility in a county that would pull it's license if it violated the COVID requirements. And at the time, that county was Phase 5. The capacity of the hall was more than double the number in attendance.

And, still no answer... do seatbelts/airbags work?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just going back rereading some and figured out this may be related to my comment.

No, wear a mask because there is a virus in the air. Spread in breath, or droplets, or something like that. Probably also spread by people before they know they have the thing.
    Not because of testing, or any other figurehead dictated rule, for the most part, but because it seems to make sense to me in my experience.
    I do not wear a seatbelt except on long interstate trips maybe. In fact scrap kydex cut to fit the buckle makes good seatbelt dinger turner offers. I do not wear a seatbelt because I think it is immoral for the gov't to tell me I have to, and this is a bit of civil disobedience. I was in a wreck once where my dodge d50 t boned an F250, 50 to zero in 5 feet, I bent the wheel and kissed the windshield with forehead. So I don't believe in them the way our immoral govt tells us I should, but I don't stop someone from putting them on. I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is. It's about the odds, and there is a virus in the air that is killing people, and if you don't believe that at its simplest then just wait, because it believes in you.

Pro-Tip: Your dealer must give you "obesity extenders" for your seat belts at no charge. Great to plug in to shut off the irritating dingers...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom