• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    First off, I want to thank all the members of the Armed Services of the United States for their willingness to serve. Your sacrifice, whether in war or in peacetime, was not in vain, and you have my deepest honor and respect. Thank you!
    :patriot:

Now the question at hand is, what things did you learn in the military that you still do?

For instance, is there a "right" way to shave and shower, or to tie your boots or tie? Do you still remove your hat when entering a building? Always take your first step with your left foot? Call your kids to the "mess hall" for supper?

I'm not in the military (...yet! OCS this summer!), but I am sure there is quite the collection of things our servicemen learned to do "the right way" and they've continued to do those things that way long after leaving the service.

Let's hear the stories!

Caleb

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I still step off with my left foot, tie my boots into big bows and tuck them into the boot, shoot the same way, smoke cupping my cigarette, until recently I ate very quickly. I still use some military jargon. I've been out for 3 or so years now too. Most of the stuff they teach you never leaves.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Yep, when tucking in a shirt, I make sure my gig line is straight.
    I use many of the knots I learned to tie.
    If I'm the first one to the door, I open it to allow all of the others in before entering myself.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Everything has its proper place, clothes hung a certain direction, still polish my boots, same haircut, I am sure there is more.

As CombatVet said, most of what they teach you will never leave.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Same as cwood, clothes hung a certain direction, polish my boots, same haircut, as well as don't litter and in fact still to this day, police the area, show proper respect to others and make no excuse for my actions. Oh and still have fun shooting guns.:D

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Wow, we need to send everyone through some sort of military traing program to be polite, courteous, and respectful human beings. People anymore are just slobs.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    The USAF pushed hard on safe driving. I've worn a seatbelt since 1974.

Head up, shoulders back and walk with pride.

I call strangers and my elders Sir or Ma'am.

I learned that rank does NOT equal intelligence.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Females, are Ma'am ...
    Males are usually Sir, until/unless they show me they don't deserve it...
    Same haircut, likely a worse attitude...
    I still profile ...

Changes.....

Too old to fist fight....
    Too old to run far ...
    But, my trigger finger still works ...

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Same hair

Worse attitude

Polite until you've proven yourself to be an idiot

Still carry myself "that" way

Still believe there's no such thing as an accident

Will refer to my cousin's husband as her "hooch ***ch" because of his amazing cooking and cleaning skills

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Some of the things I still do irk the daylights out of my family. I do most that has already been mentioned plus a few more like folding my underwear, t-shirts, socks arranged in my armoire.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    :patriot:

Yup,fold clothes military style.All drawers are neat/orderly.Still lace shoes/boots military correct.Gig line straight.Same friggin haircut.Practice psy-ops on management at work (FUN!).Weapons all stored with tags and place.Still count the # of items that go into my pocket to be sure I have everything and it is accounted for at night before I go to bed.

I guess all those years have been engrained...

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Funny. Haircut, clothes folded/hung consistently, manners, bearing, pocket inventory, weapon maintenance, etc--all of these are things I've taken for granted my entire life, due to upbringing. I used to be puzzled when people would ask me if I had served, until I realized that not everyone was brought up like I was.

My dad was an MP, and my step-dad was in a LRRP during VietNam. When I was a kid, my Scoutmaster had been in SF working with the Montaignyards (it was an interesting Troop). One Grandfather escaped the Bataan Death March, and another served in both World Wars (after having lied about his age to serve in WWI).

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I developed a certain way to fold my under shirts so that even in the darkest dark, I could get them on the right direction. (Recall the OD green under shirts had no tag in the back.) I still fold them that way to this day. Taught my wife and she folds them that way for me too!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I still walk with a purpose. I don't saunter and try to look cool like...well the current POTUS. I suppose that most times when in public, I keep my clothes looking STRAC with my gig line straight. I keep my hair reasonably trimmed. I don't wear much jewelry and especially no earrings. My sister-in-law makes fun of my demeanor and manner of dress.

I too went to OCS (Infantry), but I don't do pull ups and push ups before and during a meal and I don't sit at attention on the first 4 inches of my chair when dining. I don't double-time everywhere I go, nor do I spit shine the floors in my house. The first three words out of my mouth are no longer, "Sir Candidate So and So!" I guess some things didn't stick...thankfully.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    frequently said to my son: "Sound off like you've got a pair!"

"You didn't have time? You slept last night, didn't you?"

"Secure the door/light/etc..."

Clothes hang a certain way in the closet.

Socks and underwear folded, just like boot camp.

A place for everything and everything in its place.

Cans in the cabinet squared away with labels facing outward.

Verbal check list of contents of pockets.

Still have a problem eating too fast.

"Bug juice."

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I still move like I have a purpose in life. Funny how they beat that into your head in basic. After that it's hurry up and wait.

I still eat fast.

I still use the Army as a barometer to gauge how inept other government entities are.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I still use Korean slang.
    My wife will never again shake me to wake me up (she sends in the dog).
    "nine to the front and six to the rear" while singing (under my breath) "tiny bubbles"
    And I've been out 15 years.

Top Bottom