• wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Anyone watch Longmeir?

An episode last season involved a drug "arrangement" between a local Pharacist and some gang thugs. The Pharmacist sold them the list of people who recently bought drugs, what kinds and their addresses. Made me wonder how many Pharmacists are dirty.

Longmire is awesome. I watched the first episode on Saturday and I'm already up to the last episode of season 2 on Netflix. Great show.

I have the opposite problem with my doctor, I can't get him to prescribe me anything worth a f*** for pain. When I ask I get a freakin sermon. I know there are plenty of asshats who abuse pain meds, but I'm not one of them. I have muscular damage in my hip from years back and the pain flares up badly on occasion. Generally I would just take a percocet when it got really bad, one a day for maybe a week and that would be it. My doc in MN would prescribe a half scrip for me and that would last me for a half a year or so. Not sure if this is my particular doc, or an Indy thing. I'm so glad I get to wallow in pain and be protected from becoming an addict :rolleyes:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have the opposite problem with my doctor, I can't get him to prescribe me anything worth a f*** for pain. When I ask I get a freakin sermon. I know there are plenty of asshats who abuse pain meds, but I'm not one of them. I have muscular damage in my hip from years back and the pain flares up badly on occasion. Generally I would just take a percocet when it got really bad, one a day for maybe a week and that would be it. My doc in MN would prescribe a half scrip for me and that would last me for a half a year or so. Not sure if this is my particular doc, or an Indy thing. I'm so glad I get to wallow in pain and be protected from becoming an addict :rolleyes:

I'd suggest getting a different doctor, or just dealing with the pain. Clearly you're surviving if you haven't taken percocet in a while. If there is no tolerance to narcotics since you haven't been on them, why not ask for Tramadol or Norco? Many family practice docs are no longer writing pain meds for chronic conditions.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I'd suggest getting a different doctor, or just dealing with the pain. Clearly you're surviving if you haven't taken percocet in a while. If there is no tolerance to narcotics since you haven't been on them, why not ask for Tramadol or Norco? Many family practice docs are no longer writing pain meds for chronic conditions.
    I have had Tramadol script for probably 15 years + or -...originally from family doc now by rheumatologist. Have osteoarthritis top to bottom- severe in cervical & lumbar, hands & fingers. To me it seems to be a "weak" pain killer but it does allow you to function ( compared to Vicodin, etc. ). However sometimes can't really notice much of an affect on pain level unless take max dose. Still then not a great pain killer and at that dosage can tell to small degree a little "drugged feeling." Max dose doesn't have noticeable effect on high pain level.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am not a fan of Tramadol, but it's better than nothing which is his current setup. Tramadol does not show up on the state narcotic tracking system (yet) and many providers are more likely to write that than other narcotics. It can cause seizures at normal dosing levels which is never a good thing.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I am not a fan of Tramadol, but it's better than nothing which is his current setup. Tramadol does not show up on the state narcotic tracking system (yet) and many providers are more likely to write that than other narcotics. It can cause seizures at normal dosing levels which is never a good thing.
    Seizures...really, I did not know that. Probably something in the pages of warnings that come with every script. When I use it, it would normally be one tab first thing in morning before soaking in tub of hot water...mornings are not good for me- pain, stiffness. I rarely take it at any other time - I only remember 1 or 2 times in last 6 - 12 months. My rheumatologist has only said a max of 8 per day & can't do much else to help me. Only thing my family doc says when I question scripts ( Tramadol, Celebrex, etc ) is that they monitor liver function, etc.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Seizures are usually in people who abuse it, just start it, or have other psych issues and are on other meds. The elderly get really goofy on it and it takes over a day to clear out of their system which is annoying for us ER doctors who feel they simply over medicated themselves but can't just watch them until it clears. If you've tolerated it before it's probably fine for you.

Nucynta is a newer drug that works like tramadol and supposedly safer, but that's what they said about methadone, suboxone, etc...

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    I would expect an increase in crime and heroin overdoses in areas where these clinics operated, at least until the next "living life clean" center opens.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

You replied with pretty much my answer, Tramadol sucks. Doesn't help me at all. I even stopped taking Vicodin because it only made a slight dent in the pain (and made me sleepless). Percocet on the other hand was wonderful for me. Dulled the pain to a level where I barely noticed it and actually helped my sleep. I'm getting by now mostly by self medicating, by drinking more beer than I'd like when the flareups occur. Nowhere near as good, but not a lot of options with my doc.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ALL similar 'methodone' clinics should be very closely and regularly investigated.

Drop the hammer, jail 'em. Should be no more sympathy for these scumbags than for the street dealer in the local 'thug' neighborhood.

THIS is what happens, every time, when yabos have the 'Oh gee, drugs aren't bad, drug crimes are victimless' mentality.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Seizures are usually in people who abuse it, just start it, or have other psych issues and are on other meds. The elderly get really goofy on it and it takes over a day to clear out of their system which is annoying for us ER doctors who feel they simply over medicated themselves but can't just watch them until it clears. If you've tolerated it before it's probably fine for you.

Nucynta is a newer drug that works like tramadol and supposedly safer, but that's what they said about methadone, suboxone, etc...

Doc I've gotta say, it's refreshing to see a doc that actually knows certain important drug information.

Top Bottom