"The Silent Depression" & Single-Family Homes... a great big nothingburger or...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Your quotes and what a builder pays may be somewhat skewed.
    I know because I would be in competition with them if I still did work for home builders.
    I quit the new construction business back in 07 because the money was not there to make it worth my efforts.
    I am much happier now days not dealing with some builder telling me how much, when to be there and when I would be done.
    I was talking to probably the last American drywall crew (a father and his two sons) a while back.
    He said they were working for less than they were getting in the 1970s.
    Drywall is one of the cheapest low skill jobs out there So it likely has gone down relative to other trades.

Where I do see a big difference is what they are willing to do. Chimney had a lot of spalling in the bricks of a full masonry chimney, contractor 1 wanted $18,000 and two weeks to rebuild the whole chimney, contractor 2 wanted $11,000 and a week to rebuild the top half, the Mexican crew charged $1000 to replace about 100 bad bricks in two days, which was exactly what was needed.

At reinspection the inspector was very complementary of the work and wanted the contact…

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Do I have to explain your posts?

“Inflation adjusted home prices are now 85% above their average dating back to 1900.”
    I didn't post anything but an article with a graph. The article says that, not me.

But anyway, you think your technological marvels (LOL) make a house worth 85% more than alleged "boxes" that people lived in back in 1900?

Maybe you should look into the cost percentage of your marvels factored in to the overall cost of building a new house. I'm betting it's well south of 85%. Also, try to remember what "inflation adjusted" means.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Drywall is one of the cheapest low skill jobs out there So it likely has gone down relative to other trades.

Where I do see a big difference is what they are willing to do. Chimney had a lot of spalling in the bricks of a full masonry chimney, contractor 1 wanted $18,000 and two weeks to rebuild the whole chimney, contractor 2 wanted $11,000 and a week to rebuild the top half, the Mexican crew charged $1000 to replace about 100 bad bricks in two days, which was exactly what was needed.

At reinspection the inspector was very complementary of the work and wanted the contact…
    I have to disagree about drywall being a low skill job.
    I have seen people that have been in the business 20 years that are still not good at it.
    A good drywall hanging or finishing crew Is amazing to watch.
    They will make it look effortless.
    Yes I am including the Mexican/Central American crews.
    Your quote differential for your chimney makes my point.
    Some people are willing to work for bargain prices.
    So what are you going to do with that $10,000 dollars you saved?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I didn't post anything but an article with a graph. The article says that, not me.

But anyway, you think your technological marvels (LOL) make a house worth 85% more than alleged "boxes" that people lived in back in 1900?

Maybe you should look into the cost percentage of your marvels factored in to the overall cost of building a new house. I'm betting it's well south of 85%. Also, try to remember what "inflation adjusted" means.
    Don't forget the value add of a modern HOA!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You could read my post #58 or maybe if it paid what it was worth all those developers, builders, insurance agents, realtors etc. would be lining up for the jobs and the border would be shut down overnight.
    I did thank you. I happen to have family that have 20 -65 south of the border workers doing most of there comm/ residential irrigation installations. They pay very well,
    All employees earn 8-12 weeks off paid each winter.
    They learn good english like the black and white service dept men and they to move to the service dept.
    I dont believe for a minute that a huge amout of skilled immigrant labor works for the cheap.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I did thank you. I happen to have family that have 20 -65 south of the border workers doing most of there comm/ residential irrigation installations. They pay very well,
    All employees earn 8-12 weeks off paid each winter.
    They learn good english like the black and white service dept men and they to move to the service dept.
    I dont believe for a minute that a huge amout of skilled immigrant labor works for the cheap.
    I am not talking about working for wages.
    I am saying that the contractors themselves will take jobs for less money.
    Com. and Irrigation work takes a much larger capital investment than your typical residential construction business, paint, drywall, masonry, framing, roofing etc.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I am not talking about working for wages.
    I am saying that the contractors themselves will take jobs for less money.
    Com. and Irrigation work takes a much larger capital investment than your typical residential construction business, paint, drywall, masonry, framing, roofing etc.
    Well I will say, my BIL started with a beatup Ford CC and he would line up a few installations and then rent a vibratory plow and he and his nephew would haul a$$ and pull all the pipe and then return the rental and go and then finish each job.
    My understanding with just talking with my sister is, they do better profit margins today then 25 yrs ago. There is a bunch more fungable cash where I'm from, than most of the State of Indiana.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Well I will say, my BIL started with a beatup Ford CC and he would line up a few installations and then rent a vibratory plow and he and his nephew would haul a$$ and pull all the pipe and then return the rental and go and then finish each job.
    My understanding with just talking with my sister is, they do better profit margins today then 25 yrs ago. There is a bunch more fungable cash where I'm from, than most of the State of Indiana.
    I would be proud of him too.
    He is living the American Dream.
    Building a large thriving company from humble roots.
    It’s the reason so many come to the US.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I think it would be more interesting to see square footage comparisons. Modern construction homes would seem to be much larger, on average, than yesteryear's houses.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Single family home sales are down 31% so far in 2023,with a total of -45% in the last 12 months.
    It is already worse than 2008-09.
    9/28/2023
    nh.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Interest rates are up and markets are stabilizing by coming down off record high sales volumes and prices. Isn't that a good thing or am I missing something?

I mean, it seems like this thread is full of people clutching pearls on both sides.

Scenario A) Inventory is low, prices are sky high, and homes are on the market for just a few days. INGO: "Agh, it's a bubble! The average person can't afford a house. People are putting in multiple offers and getting outbid. The entire economy is going to collapse!"

Scenario B) Interest rates are up, sales slow down, and home values aren't rising at a record pace. INGO: Agh! It's a bubble. People can't afford a house because of interest rates. Homes are on the market for like two whole months. The entire economy is going to collapse!"

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Interest rates are up and markets are stabilizing by coming down off record high sales volumes and prices. Isn't that a good thing or am I missing something?

I mean, it seems like this thread is full of people clutching pearls on both sides.

Scenario A) Inventory is low, prices are sky high, and homes are on the market for just a few days. INGO: "Agh, it's a bubble! The average person can't afford a house. People are putting in multiple offers and getting outbid. The entire economy is going to collapse!"

Scenario B) Interest rates are up, sales slow down, and home values aren't rising at a record pace. INGO: Agh! It's a bubble. People can't afford a house because of interest rates. Homes are on the market for like two whole months. The entire economy is going to collapse!"
    At the end of the day there is very little difference between the positions, they both are fueled by government interference in markets with the fed and their rates to the banks…

Top Bottom