Westfield

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Our tax dollars to fix broken ev chargers. Why not charge EV drivers an extra fee when they use a charger to cover that maintenance.

:dunno:

Our tax dollars to fix broken ev chargers. Why not charge EV drivers an extra fee when they use a charger to cover that maintenance.

You mean like most other businesses?

Well, that's just crazy talk.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

:dunno:
    What a grift. The business owners will get money to keep the charade alive but the poor customers who get duped into buying one of these things, when their battery dies, will be…tough luck, dude.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I believe it will collapse because the battery is too large a portion of the value of the vehicle and will kill any resale value. Batteries are consumed by both time and use at a far accelerated rate compared to ICE, there will be little used market for a long time if ever.

The government solution will be a Chinese produced car like the old Trabant, very few models, very little variation, lots of parts commonality. You won't own it, only lease it and after a period of time when the battery is estimated to fail, you will turn it in for a replacement. All usable parts will be stripped off of it at the dealership and used on cars needing repair. The battery/frame will be shipped to China for scrap. When your car breaks down the dealership will simply give you a refurbished car with a similar time on the battery clock. The car will keep track of where it goes and what it does, info that will be downloaded periodically by satellite back to China. All other forms of wheeled transportation will be outlawed, with road cameras monitoring the streets and highways.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I believe it will collapse because the battery is too large a portion of the value of the vehicle and will kill any resale value. Batteries are consumed by both time and use at a far accelerated rate compared to ICE, there will be little used market for a long time if ever.
    You’re ignoring the geek factor. People bought Tesla’s before they were practical. Or at least practical for specific situations. The facade of them being universally practical is going to crumble and that’s going to destroy the virtue signaling market, which I think is a very sizable segment. But techno-geeks will still want them.

If I had $110K just lying around, and I’m so stinking wealthy that I have a choice of either burning it or buying a Hummer EV, I’d be the third person this year to buy one. Because it’s cool even though it has horrible reliability. The crab walk feature is just too cool not to own if I had nothing else to do with my money.

Because I don’t have an ideological reason not to own one. My reasons for not owning an EV now are purely pragmatic.

1) Not enough room in my garage.

2) It’s only practical use case to me is as a daily driver. I don’t drive daily so I don’t have that need. And I havebother cars I can drive when I need to go somewhere.

3) I don’t need a 4th car.

That’s it. Those are thenreasons I don’t own an EV.

But. There are a lot of geeks out there who still want EV’s even with all the pragmatic reasons not to own one. Not everyone has a an ideology based reason to hate them.

And like I said, when the practicality deficit outweighs the need to virtue signal, that market’s gonna crash, much like the covid mask market did. But the geek market will live on. And it’s not a huge market. 17% of the population self-identifies as geeks.

That said, here’s Scotty!!!

He makes a good point about the early adopter market. That’s already spent. Drop the virtue signalers and geeks are all that’s left. And they tend to be early adopters. Plus, if they figure out a way to make hydrogen powered behicles more practical…

1694697024356.png

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Some folks have found a workaround for the charger issues...
    7778d4a0928fe803704583b6a7177f26.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This is probably more of an indictment of modern customer service practices than it is of the technology.

Been a lot of mentions of people that have been denied recharging.
    One I remember, was a guy that bought a broken down one, and fixed it up.
    Apparently a crime.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Been a lot of mentions of people that have been denied recharging.
    One I remember, was a guy that bought a broken down one, and fixed it up.
    Apparently a crime.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is probably more of an indictment of modern customer service practices than it is of the technology.

Carfax’s information was wrong because an insurance company provided incorrect information. Erickson’s car was never totaled; there was just minor damage from a fender bender.

Wow. Took a "on your side" kind of intervention from a TV station to clear that up? "No customer service" indeed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

This is a big NO for me, that a company far removed from my location has that kind of control does not sit well with me at all, so to me it is an indictment of the EV system…

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Top Bottom