• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    This WuVid 19 epidemic may spell the death knell of ambitious shared transportation options. Who would even want to take a cab or an uber anymore? Do we really think they're disinfecting vehicles in any way between riders?

I think the airlines are in trouble. We all recognize that a plane is a large cylinder of mostly recirculating air. Vacation travel will be in decline for quite some time, methinks. Business flying will become less of a perq and more of a punishment.

And perhaps we'll finally get rid of the ocean-going hotel business.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    1gpc8Gz.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Amber Wichowsky said:
    Around the WI primary, I expressed frustration about how media framing might be widening partisan divides in opinions about Covid-19 How should we interpret partisan gaps?

EUiVFV7UUAAual1

To explore this question, my students and I decided to field a survey experiment: randomly assign subjects to a media frame about partisanship and concern about Covid-19. Our study was conducted April 22 on MTurk. We block (PID) randomized subjects to treatment condition

[Concern over coronavirus in the U.S. reflects significant partisan differences / There is substantial concern about coronavirus in the U.S. across party lines.] The rest of the vignette was the same (reporting same set of poll numbers for Republicans and Democrats)

Post-treatment, we asked subjects: “do you think the decision to close schools and businesses, and to restrict the size of public gatherings is an appropriate response to the coronavirus outbreak or is it an overreaction that will do more harm than good?”

The results were consistent with our hypothesis. The partisan divide in opinion is wider among those assigned to the partisan frame condition, with both Democrats and Republicans appearing to take cues from the partisan framing.

EWSiMdmWoAAujio

https://twitter.com/AmberWichowsky/status/1253305459353796609

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I think the airlines are in trouble. We all recognize that a plane is a large cylinder of mostly recirculating air. Vacation travel will be in decline for quite some time, methinks. Business flying will become less of a perq and more of a punishment.

And perhaps we'll finally get rid of the ocean-going hotel business.
    I prefer to think of them as floating petri dishes

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Was Trump for it before he was against it?
    https://apnews.com/a031d395d414ffa655fdc65e6760d6a0

In reading the article, he changed his mind when he saw some of the details of what was being opened and when. Reopening is not a blank check and the details are important. No one has recommended going from 0 to 100 right away. This really isn't hard to grasp.

On Thursday, he suggested he was particularly concerned by the idea that Kemp would reopen spas.

“I want the states to open more than he does, much more than he does. But I didn’t like to see spas at this early stage nor did the doctors,” he said.

Trump acknowledged he consulted his health advisers -- Birx and Dr. Anthony Fauci -- and considered trying to block the proposal but “I decided, and we all agreed. You’ve got to watch it closely. So we’ll see what happens.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But press secretary Kayleigh McEnany tweeted a denial that Trump had changed his position.

“No one ‘changed’ President Trump’s view. I was with him all throughout the day. His mind was made up. His priority has always been to reopen the country SAFELY,” she posted Thursday.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Let’s just say, if you participated in the Michigan protests, it’s more likely that you tend to vote for Republicans. If you counter-protested the protest in Michigan, it’s more likely you tend to vote Democrat.

If you found yourself in a viral video of you screaming at fake nurses blocking your way to protest against the lockdown, you likely tend to vote for Republicans. If you are one of the fake nurses blocking traffic. Well. You get the idea.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Let’s just say, if you participated in the Michigan protests, it’s more likely that you tend to vote for Republicans. If you counter-protested the protest in Michigan, it’s more likely you tend to vote Democrat.

If you found yourself in a viral video of you screaming at fake nurses blocking your way to protest against the lockdown, you likely tend to vote for Republicans. If you are one of the fake nurses blocking traffic. Well. You get the idea.

It is my impression, based off my observations that...yes, if you lean left, you tend to want to keep the shutdown going as long as necessary, up to and including a time where there’s a cure. If you lean right, even, I see a preponderance of them reluctant to undo the shutdowns. Based off of the polling I’ve seen, you might vote for republicans if you’re against the lockdowns but among all of the “tend to vote for republican” voters out there, those against continuing the lock downs are not the majority. (If that makes sense). And...I still maintain, the overriding factor for those wanting to maintain the lock downs is whether they’ve lost their jobs yet. (And now, maybe whether they’re making more money on unemployment than when they were working).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is my impression, based off my observations that...yes, if you lean left, you tend to want to keep the shutdown going as long as necessary, up to and including a time where there’s a cure. If you lean right, even, I see a preponderance of them reluctant to undo the shutdowns. Based off of the polling I’ve seen, you might vote for republicans if you’re against the lockdowns but among all of the “tend to vote for republican” voters out there, those against continuing the lock downs are not the majority. (If that makes sense). And...I still maintain, the overriding factor for those wanting to maintain the lock downs is whether they’ve lost their jobs yet. (And now, maybe whether they’re making more money on unemployment than when they were working).
    As I said previously, the people with sane opinions about it either way can be all over the place politically, and yes, most people regardless of politics agree with the lockdown to some extent. I don’t think it is until you start seeing some extreme views on it that the political lines become apparent. You probably won’t find any “coexist” bumperstickers on many of the gridlock protestors’ cars. You probably won’t see any Gadsden flags among the counter-protestors. And as I’ve said before, it is those with the more extreme views that are getting all the bandwidth. It’s not the rational conversations between people of different viewpoints going viral. It’s the videos of the vitriolic confrontations and people donning medical garb (incorrectly) to make a point, blocking the protesters way.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I think it is pretty simple.
    If you do not want Trump to win reelection, you are for keeping the lockdown in place. A destroyed economy is the Dems only hope to win.
    If you are for Trump, you are aware that this is overblown media hype, so open up.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think it is pretty simple.
    If you do not want Trump to win reelection, you are for keeping the lockdown in place. A destroyed economy is the Dems only hope to win.
    If you are for Trump, you are aware that this is overblown media hype, so open up.

There's a happy medium. There's an area between these two positions. It really isn't (and shouldn't be) simple. Let me rephrase... it could be simple, but that would require efficient micromanagement of nuanced situations that Government, in general, probably can't handle... and society, in general, doesn't want to do on its own.

cc Jamil.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If it was solely the media, the facts would bubble up through other means. The problem is: little evidence and models based largely on assumptions rather than statistically valid data.

It is difficult to hold any high level official, including the president, to blame for acting in a significant manner when all of the experts are telling him millions of US lives are in jeopardy. He hesitated a bit....and with good cause. It's hard to absorb and the consequences are profound.

No, I don't blame the president. But, he ought to shaddup. There is no upside in being a jaybird: all mouth and ass.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    There's a happy medium. There's an area between these two positions. It really isn't (and shouldn't be) simple. Let me rephrase... it could be simple, but that would require efficient micromanagement of nuanced situations that Government, in general, probably can't handle... and society, in general, doesn't want to do on its own.

cc Jamil.

In other words, open up as conditions allow: taking into account medical and economic concerns.

Political concerns should be a distant third condition, but some seem to want to keep it at #1. Sad.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

cc Jamil.
    :yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom