• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In other words, open up as conditions allow: taking into account medical and economic concerns.

Political concerns should be a distant third condition, but some seem to want to keep it at #1. Sad.

Right because we cannot even help the American people without putting in funding for abortion, which generally has a 10% return to the dems and the like. I'm sure some republican favs like ethanol got a bundle.

Unfortunately it is political, we have given politicians the power and they are using it...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Was Trump for it before he was against it?
    https://apnews.com/a031d395d414ffa655fdc65e6760d6a0

"Trump’s sudden shift came only after top health advisers reviewed the plan more closely and persuaded the president that Kemp was risking further spread of the virus by moving too quickly."

There you have it. A direct quote from the article that proves Trump was listening to the medical experts.

What further proof does the media need that Trump is stupid and evil?

What further proof does the public need that Trump is trying to do the best for the country?

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If it was solely the media, the facts would bubble up through other means. The problem is: little evidence and models based largely on assumptions rather than statistically valid data.

It is difficult to hold any high level official, including the president to blame for acting in a significant manner when all of the experts are telling him millions of US lives are in jeopardy. He hesitated a bit....and with good cause. It's hard to absorb and the consequences are profound.

No, I don't blame the president. But, he ought to shaddup. There is no upside in being a jaybird: all mouth and ass.

I've kinda had that opinion of Trump long before the 'Rona. Decent policy. but a guy who is unable to shut up...making him look like an a-hole...which he is, in a few ways.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Someone has probally already said this, but could it be that the progs are trying to keep the country locked down to force vote by mail, a proven way to cheat in an election?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Someone has probally already said this, but could it be that the progs are trying to keep the country locked down to force vote by mail, a proven way to cheat in an election?

I just received an application to request an absentee ballot for the primary yesterday. I threw it in the trash. :noway:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've kinda had that opinion of Trump long before the 'Rona. Decent policy. but a guy who is unable to shut up...making him look like an a-hole...which he is, in a few ways.

You have to remember there's 2 sides to him always speaking his mind.

While you may find it distasteful, people like me find it beneficial, and it's one of the major reasons I've always been fond of him. I don't have to guess where his line of thought is pointing to, or where he stands on issues. He makes it pretty clear.

The embellishment gets obnoxious, but that's what he's built his success and career on, so who am I to judge?

Wow... this is a doozie:
    [video=youtube;FlJjY35pLHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJjY35pLHk[/video]

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It seems the dictator of Michigan was not very happy a democrat lawmaker had praise for Trump.

On Fox News Friday night, Michigan State Representative Karen Whitsett told Tucker Carlson that text messages she's been receiving from Governor Whitmer have not been pleasant ever since the Democratic state lawmaker credited President Trump for her personal recovery from the Wuhan coronavirus. The lawmaker now faces a censure from her Democratic colleagues for crediting the president for her recovery.

Tucker Carlson asked Whitsett if the governor ever called the representative to simply say, "I'm so glad you didn't die?"

"Actually, it was not as pleasant as that," Rep. Whitsett began, "and the text messages that we have had since then have not been as pleasant as well."
    Rep. Whitsett said she "didn't know 'thank you' belonged to one political party over another," and said she will continue to speak out against the governor or any other person who stands in the way of Michiganders getting access to the medicine and equipment they need to survive the disease.

The lawmaker previously said she was feeling extremely ill until she began taking hydroxychloroquine. Whitsett credited President Trump for helping her gain access to the medication that she and her doctor believe to be responsible for helping her survive the virus. After Trump expressed optimism in the decades-old anti-malaria drug, Gov. Whitmer inexplicably moved to restrict the drug's off-label use as a treatment for the coronavirus.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/brons...d-trump-for-her-coronavirus-recovery-n2567606

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was listening to the BBC World service this morning and they had a segment saying that death rates during economic downturns go down not up. going all the way back to the Great Depression. I have heard some politicians claiming that more people will die due to the economic downturn than the coronavirus. Are there any studies out thate to support that claim?

Another interesting thing was the value put on life in economic studies. It varies. For example, "tragic" deaths are rated higher than medical deaths by a factor of 2.6! So that is why airliner or train safety get a lot more money than health services in budgets.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I was listening to the BBC World service this morning and they had a segment saying that death rates during economic downturns go down not up. going all the way back to the Great Depression. I have heard some politicians claiming that more people will die due to the economic downturn than the coronavirus. Are there any studies out thate to support that claim?

Another interesting thing was the value put on life in economic studies. It varies. For example, "tragic" deaths are rated higher than medical deaths by a factor of 2.6! So that is why airliner or train safety get a lot more money than health services in budgets.
    There is no one left to die. I was told that gun violence kills 30 million Americans each year, that the repeal of net neutrality would kill us, that reducing the ACA would kill us, that Trump would start war after war and kill us all, that Kavanaugh and Gorsuch being appointed to SCOTUS would kill us, and that global warming/global cooling/climate change would kill us all 35 times in my own lifetime. At this rate I'll need 3 trees worth of death certificates just to account for all the deaths I've suffered.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

That story seems to come from an article put out in Nature in early 2019 when recession talk was all the rage. It did identify some lower mortality driven by fewer manufacturing and motor vehicle deaths and possibly less cardio/respiratory disease deaths due to reduced pollution, less use of tobacco and alcohol. That article did lay out many negatives as well that the BBC might not have covered. Politicians were correct when they mentioned that suicides would increase and there are a lot of papers published that support that particular claim. Some models based on the 2009 recession indicate that for every 5% increase in unemployment there would be an additional 4000 suicides, if things got as bad as the great depression than it goes up to about 18000. I'm not aware of any studies that could be used at this time to compare recession related deaths to strictly corona virus but we don't even know yet the toll it's going to take.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well, this isn't just an economic downturn. This is an economic shutdown intentionally imposed on the people and industry by the government. So this has many obvious differences. It's a stretch to say its comparable to the others, and then would thus have the same outcomes as other downturns.

But, thinking of the dichotomy as deaths as an outcome of this vs deaths as an outcome of that is not the right metric anyway. If the shutdown is all about flattening the curve, and slowing the impact to health care infrastructure, then the dichotomy is not between either dying from a downturn or dying from the virus. Eventually, sheltering in place or not, you're likely to get the virus eventually. If you are unlucky enough to be someone who would die if you got it, yer probably gonna die either way.

It's just that maybe getting it could be delayed a few months until there are better treatments or a vaccine. And there isn't much good news on the vaccine front. A lot of researchers say that coronaviruses present some difficult problems for vaccines. SARS and MERS still doesn't have an effective, safe vaccine available to the public. I don't think there will be one for this anytime soon. So I don't think we have the information at this time to make the case that when all is said and done, there will be significantly more lives lost to the virus than there would have been by shutting things down indefinitely.

I think that as far as "value" placed on lives, it's mostly political at this point. The "if it will save just one life, it will all be worth it" people aren't acknowledging the impact of continuing the shutdown as is. The cost is tremendous. Well, those who might die because we enter a food shortage and starve won't think it's ****ing worth it! There's a value to society beyond just the lives of other people. We can't justify everything on the life of one person. And no one actually does that. Not many people are advocating that we get rid of cars because there are car accidents. It's a balance between values. It's just that some people's hypersensitive morals regards dying one way as that life being more important than the life of someone who died another way. Once people make it a moral issue, then it justifies imposing one's morals on the others.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well, this isn't just an economic downturn. This is an economic shutdown intentionally imposed on the people and industry by the government. So this has many obvious differences. It's a stretch to say its comparable to the others, and then would thus have the same outcomes as other downturns.

Time will tell. The Cause may be different, but it does not necessarily follow that it's effects will be different.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Some people want this man to be president/vice president.

At the same time Gov. Andrew Cuomo was using his daily press briefings to berate President Trump for his inability to provide New York with 36,000 ventilators that his state never needed, along with demanding that the federal government supply his state with sufficient personal protective equipment, he was ignoring the pleas from administrators at his own state’s nursing homes for help in stemming the tide of deaths in their facilities.

Fifty-eight percent of all COVID-19 deaths in the state of New York have occurred in nursing homes in New York City. Gov. Cuomo is complicit in these deaths by making the fateful decision to force nursing homes to take in patients infected with the deadly virus. Yet the governor continues to refuse to take responsibility for that decision.

It's not like it wasn't known from very early on that the Wuhan coronavirus primarily attacked the elderly and that the first serious outbreak in the US was in a nursing home.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom