Not open for further replies.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I recently acquired a 30-06 with a decent mid-range Leupold optic. We shot it in at 100...150...and 200 yds.
    With a proper round (nothing cheap just a decent round) they will hit where you point them and knock down anything they hit.

Note, be ready for some serious recoil.

Oh, I have fired this rifle before, but it's prob been 20 years ago. It's a Remington 742 semi. I learned all about "scope-eye" when a friend of mine fired it for the first time. You don't hold them loosely.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A semi does not hit your shoulder as hard as a bolt gun. The gas system will use some of the energy to run the bolt.
    You have seen me. I am no small person and my gun wailed on me. I felt it in my shoulder for a few days. Fired 20 rounds.

I am a re-coil junky and love the kick....just saying.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My M1-A is .308 and it lets you know when you touch one off. It does not hold a candle to my 30-06.

Yep, I am with you there. But I never really thought of it until now, I have never fired a Bolt 30-06. I have fired a bunch of guns in my time, but never that one. My Dad's semi is the only one. Don't remember the kick being that bad, prob because it is heavy and a semi.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Not sure what you mean about the CMP M1. Most of the CMP ammo I have seen is old surplus ball.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The way I understand it, the M1 Garand will shoot a 30-06 round, but the commercial 30-06 is more powerful. You have to change the gas plug to an adjustable one. If not, you will break a rod.

Can't remember where I picked that up, I have have been saving to get a CMP Garand since I did my first Appleseed this spring.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Closer to 10 hrs. Google says 9 hrs. 45 minutes but we stop a bit so wife can stretch.
    I am ready to be home.

Yeah, we are the same way. I try to stop at a Goodwill or something every 2 to 3 hours so the wife can stretch her legs. My 7 hour drive to Green Bay is 9 to 9 1/2 if she's along.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to be conservative with my driving when doing a long haul with the wife.
    I have made the trip home from Orlando Florida pulling a trailer with my Harley in it in well under 14 hrs. With her it is closer to 17. She usually is only good for 10 or so a day before we stop for the night but she was a trooper yesterday and we pushed 12 plus to get here. Brutal traffic along 95 and DC is a nightmare. Never again...ever.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have to be conservative with my driving when doing a long haul with the wife.
    I have made the trip home from Orlando Florida pulling a trailer with my Harley in it in well under 14 hrs. With her it is closer to 17. She usually is only good for 10 or so a day before we stop for the night but she was a trooper yesterday and we pushed 12 plus to get here. Brutal traffic along 95 and DC is a nightmare. Never again...ever.

Been there, done that with the DC & Baltimore traffic, I agree!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom