Not open for further replies.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    That must have been an interesting visit. Do you have any plans for the lot?

That was an interesting visit. The Rancher also has some land there that is owned by someone in San Fransisco, CA. A big lot, around 1200 acres. The rancher was confused at first and thought we were a couple of liberals from California. When he discovered we were just midwesterners looking for her tiny lot in his hayfield, he became much friendlier. Guy HATED liberals.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Well at least you will have a good neighbor.

Yeah, maybe a great one. The guy and his son operate a hunting/guide service off of their ranch (something like 15,000 acres). Had a great conversation with them BS'ing about guns. I'm not kidding, on the drive off of the main road back to the ranch we saw at least 100 deer and elk. The main road was probably 7 miles away, it's all gravel roads after that.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    They have so many deer & elk there, that the ranchers select certain ones for hunting. They watch the herds and when the bucks get to trophy size, the guide the hunters to certain animals. It would be too easy just to go shoot A buck, they are everywhere. There is a ridge that runs down the center of the property. They can take you up to the top on a ATV and you can glass the property for miles.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I'm not a hunter either. But, it is a good reason to get a new rifle and scope. I think it would be a great experience. And I do like deer meat, never tried elk.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I'm not a hunter either. But, it is a good reason to get a new rifle and scope. I think it would be a great experience. And I do like deer meat, never tried elk.

Same here. My Dad has a 30-06 I could borrow if I went, biggest thing I have now is an AR.

The guide really likes the .270 for deer & elk.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    FYI, I just heard from someone that knows Shadow well, he is fine. Just been too busy at work to have any INGO time.

I'm glad I learned this, I was a little concerned.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The .270 will shoot flatter.
    CM glad to hear you are warm now.

Yes, I agree a .270 would prob work well, but my Dad's 30-06 wouldn't cost me anything. I'll bet he hasn't shot it in 10 years, he certainly wouldn't miss it if I used it for a month or so. And I already have some nice glass, all it would cost me would be the time & ammo to mount and zero my scope.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently acquired a 30-06 with a decent mid-range Leupold optic. We shot it in at 100...150...and 200 yds.
    With a proper round (nothing cheap just a decent round) they will hit where you point them and knock down anything they hit.

Note, be ready for some serious recoil.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom