Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That destroyer is stripped to the bone. It is riding very high inn the water and bobbing like a cork.

Yes it is a target.
    And an argument could be made that there is no damage control team on board to fight the fire/flooding.
    But in this case, I don't think that's a case.
    Shot I was briefed on, one half the target sank in 3 minutes, the other half 30 minutes.
    Not sure what a damage control team cold do then.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Fun stuff
    It's not even fair.

MK-48 Torpedo

MK-48 and MK-48 ADCAP torpedoes can operate with or without wire guidance and use active and/or passive homing.
    When launched they execute programmed target search, acquisition and attack procedures.
    Both can conduct multiple reattacks if they miss the target. A highly capable weapon, the MK 48 can be used against surface ships or submarines, and has been test fired under the Arctic ice pack and in other arduous conditions.
    The ADCAP version, in comparison with earlier MK 48 torpedoes, has improved target acquisition range, reduced vulnerability to enemy countermeasures, reduced shipboard constraints such as warmup and reactivation time, and enhanced effectiveness against surface ships.
    The MK 48 is propelled by a piston engine with twin, contra-rotating propellers in a pump jet or shrouded configuration. The engine uses a liquid monopropellant fuel, and the torpedo has a conventional, high-explosive warhead.
    The MK 48 has a sophisticated guidance system permitting a variety of attack options. As the torpedo leaves the submarine's launch tube a thin wire spins out, electronically linking the submarine and torpedo. This enables an operator in the submarine, with access to the submarine's sensitive sonar systems, initially to guide the torpedo toward the target. This helps the torpedo avoid decoys and jamming devices that might be deployed by the target. The wire is severed and the torpedo's high-powered active/passive sonar guides the torpedo during the final attack.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes it is a target.
    And an argument could be made that there is no damage control team on board to fight the fire/flooding.
    But in this case, I don't think that's a case.
    Shot I was briefed on, one half the target sank in 3 minutes, the other half 30 minutes.
    Not sure what a damage control team cold do then.

Nothing. The ships back was broken.
    If the hatchways were open the concussion from the explosion would have either killed or maimed most of the below deck crew.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sinkex
    Sink exercise

Submarine target this time.
    Imagine if 9 of these went off in hull

[video=youtube;zapHPqOryC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zapHPqOryC0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fun stuff
    It's not even fair.

MK-48 Torpedo

MK-48 and MK-48 ADCAP torpedoes can operate with or without wire guidance and use active and/or passive homing.
    When launched they execute programmed target search, acquisition and attack procedures.
    Both can conduct multiple reattacks if they miss the target. A highly capable weapon, the MK 48 can be used against surface ships or submarines, and has been test fired under the Arctic ice pack and in other arduous conditions.
    The ADCAP version, in comparison with earlier MK 48 torpedoes, has improved target acquisition range, reduced vulnerability to enemy countermeasures, reduced shipboard constraints such as warmup and reactivation time, and enhanced effectiveness against surface ships.
    The MK 48 is propelled by a piston engine with twin, contra-rotating propellers in a pump jet or shrouded configuration. The engine uses a liquid monopropellant fuel, and the torpedo has a conventional, high-explosive warhead.
    The MK 48 has a sophisticated guidance system permitting a variety of attack options. As the torpedo leaves the submarine's launch tube a thin wire spins out, electronically linking the submarine and torpedo. This enables an operator in the submarine, with access to the submarine's sensitive sonar systems, initially to guide the torpedo toward the target. This helps the torpedo avoid decoys and jamming devices that might be deployed by the target. The wire is severed and the torpedo's high-powered active/passive sonar guides the torpedo during the final attack.

Ain't no-such thing as fair.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I think I read some stuff on INGO before I was even a member.
    I was searching for some random gun stuff on Google and found pages from INGO.
    Yeah, I just read the pages that had info I needed, but day after day it kept popping up in my google results for different things. Eventually I stopped lurking and signed up.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm sure I've bored everyone twice over.
    So I'll just add this and be done.

WWII torpedoes used to hit the side of the target.
    Only 1/6th of the energy was actually against the target. 5/6ths being wasted against air, or water underneath.
    They attempted magnetic detonation under the target, but the tech was to new.
    Some torps were built with focused explosives, but that still only gains you like another 1/6th or 2.

Now the 48 detonates under the target.
    1/6th of the energy acts against the bottom of the hull of the target.
    1/6th of the energy tries to go down, but water will not compress, so it is reflected up, doubling the explosion.
    4/6th of the energy blows the water out from the center of the target.
    A large complex metal item (the target) gets punched in the center, then get's the centers support taken away, while the ends are still supported.

Breaks it in half, double whammy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom