• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe, PM or email me a recipe for squirrel with gravey and the stew. I'd like to give those a try.

I'll stick 'em here for the enjoyment of anyone else who may want to try it, too.

For squirrel stew, you just toss the quartered squirrels in a pot (I prefer a crockpot) along with some carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and whatever else you desire, some water, and let 'em cook for a few hours.

For fried squirrels and gravy, you season up a cup or so of flour (usually I just use pepper, but whatever floats your boat,) heat up a quarter or half cup of oil, coat the squirrels in the flour, and fry 'em in the oil till they are nice and browned on both sides, just like frying chicken. When they are done, take the squirrels out of the skillet, and add the rest of the flour to the oil. Stir it until the flour absorbs the oil, and continue to cook until the flour is browned, and start adding milk until it's at the consistency you want. Stir the whole time you are adding milk, and do all the cooking over medium heat.

Lots of folks soak the squirrel in salt water overnight in the fridge. I don't know why, but it's how Mom did it, so it's how I do it.

I don't have a clue how to make dumplings. :dunno: You'd have to ask my Mom or Cathy's Mom. I just realized Cathy has only made 'em once... and it was less than successful. Don't tell her I said that, I tell her all her meals are delicious! We can't eat them (or at least not very many of them) any more, so I don't get squirrels and dumplings any more :(

I've also got a wild game cookbook with some recipes I haven't tried yet, but want to. Guess I shouldn't put them here due to copyright issues, the cookbook is called Wild Game Simple by Mike Gnatkowski. How does Beer-Simmer Squirrel, Squirrel with Sour Cream and Mushrooms, or Squirrel Gumbo sound?

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    On top of the cold air, I think we are supposed to get some rain as well. We were wanting to go to Kings Island but decided we'd try for next weekend. As of right now, next weekend is supposed to be 70s and sunny.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I don't want to see you hurting man, but I love this kind of weather. Too bad you can't enjoy it more.

It's the temp change that hurts, once it get to be in the 60's everyday I will be fine, 20 degree temp changes on a daily basis suck

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'll stick 'em here for the enjoyment of anyone else who may want to try it, too.

For squirrel stew, you just toss the quartered squirrels in a pot (I prefer a crockpot) along with some carrots, potatoes, onion, celery, and whatever else you desire, some water, and let 'em cook for a few hours.

For fried squirrels and gravy, you season up a cup or so of flour (usually I just use pepper, but whatever floats your boat,) heat up a quarter or half cup of oil, coat the squirrels in the flour, and fry 'em in the oil till they are nice and browned on both sides, just like frying chicken. When they are done, take the squirrels out of the skillet, and add the rest of the flour to the oil. Stir it until the flour absorbs the oil, and continue to cook until the flour is browned, and start adding milk until it's at the consistency you want. Stir the whole time you are adding milk, and do all the cooking over medium heat.

Lots of folks soak the squirrel in salt water overnight in the fridge. I don't know why, but it's how Mom did it, so it's how I do it.

I don't have a clue how to make dumplings. :dunno: You'd have to ask my Mom or Cathy's Mom. I just realized Cathy has only made 'em once... and it was less than successful. Don't tell her I said that, I tell her all her meals are delicious! We can't eat them (or at least not very many of them) any more, so I don't get squirrels and dumplings any more :(

I've also got a wild game cookbook with some recipes I haven't tried yet, but want to. Guess I shouldn't put them here due to copyright issues, the cookbook is called Wild Game Simple by Mike Gnatkowski. How does Beer-Simmer Squirrel, Squirrel with Sour Cream and Mushrooms, or Squirrel Gumbo sound?

If you are lazy like me you buy 3 cans of vegetable stew and throw the cut up squirrel in the crock pot with them.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    It's the temp change that hurts, once it get to be in the 60's everyday I will be fine, 20 degree temp changes on a daily basis suck

I'm learning that myself this year. Haven't been in this much pain in some time. I'll get the meds regulated or I'll live with the pain. Hope to get the meds regulated.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm learning that myself this year. Haven't been in this much pain in some time. I'll get the meds regulated or I'll live with the pain. Hope to get the meds regulated.

It sucks and if it rains tomorrow it will suck more, being on my feet a lot tonight didn't help but I got to yell at kids for a few hours:)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    well I have to take my laptop into to someone. I thought I found the problem, alas it wasn't it. Tonight couldn't even pull up one web page without it freezing on me.

Anyone know someone in the Indy area that isn't outrageous?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe, putting the squirrel in the fridge with water and salt kills any bacteria. at least thats what my gma told me.

Oh, ok. I figured it tenderized the meat or got rid of gamey flavor or something LOL. Wonder if freezing it kills the bugs, since we do freeze ours till we eat it. Be handy to skip that step.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom