The official Status Update thread #209....So this is spring...???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We are showing 30's at night thru Tuesday night...might be okay after that. I rarely plant my garden before Memorial day weekend as we have had freezes take everything out a couple of times when planting earlier.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We are showing 30's at night thru Tuesday night...might be okay after that. I rarely plant my garden before Memorial day weekend as we have had freezes take everything out a couple of times when planting earlier.

I think you're in the next agricultural "zone" from us up there, so that makes sense.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Evening all. Spent a good 4hrs depriming a 5gal bucket of brass I paid $5 for. If I were to sell it all would end up making at leasr $60.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Weird how "irregular" that map is. You'd think it would be mostly arranged from north to south, but it kind of jumps around a bit. Like with Laporte, St. Joe and Elkhart counties being in zone 5b. Guessing it has to do with the influence of Lake Michigan or something.

The lake provides somewhat of a buffer if the water stays warmer than the air...lake effect is also why those areas get slammed with snow. We tend to be on the edge of that so sometimes it helps and other times not so much. I'm pretty sure our fruit trees will be bare again this year after the night before last. Apple blossoms had all just opened. 20 degrees will completely wipe them out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The lake provides somewhat of a buffer if the water stays warmer than the air...lake effect is also why those areas get slammed with snow. We tend to be on the edge of that so sometimes it helps and other times not so much. I'm pretty sure our fruit trees will be bare again this year after the night before last. Apple blossoms had all just opened. 20 degrees will completely wipe them out.

Yeah, seems like it could be a boon or a curse (the lake). I don't have any fruit trees but I'm afraid my wisteria vine/bush may not bloom this year. We started it from some we found growing wild on an old homestead down at Lake Monroe that was abandoned when they flooded the area to make the lake. It was full of buds too. :(

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My white crabapple behind the tree just really opened up the other day. Today, I noticed most of the blossoms are brown from being frozen.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My white crabapple behind the tree just really opened up the other day. Today, I noticed most of the blossoms are brown from being frozen.

I even had some of my hostas get nipped. That has NEVER happened before in the 40 years or so that I've been growing hostas. They're hostas, so they'll be fine, but I'd never seen one actually be hurt by a frost/freeze before.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had hostas and some other perennials hit but they'll come back.

I need to go grill those chops. 40 degrees and windy is not making me even want to light the grill but it will only take a few minutes to cook them so I better get to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom