• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are companies that put a lot of effort into QA before each product goes out the door. They know that there stuff is good and generally have a warranty for a year or two just in case something gets by. Then, there are the companies that do a rudimentary bit of QA and are more than happy to let the customers do the final testing. These are the companies that tend to offer a lifetime warranty. They know that some of there stuff is off and if they stuck people with crap guns that didn't work, they's lose in the end. Both are valid ways to handle the QA for a pistol in that the higher end companies can command a decent price and the lower end companies can get the products out cheaper.

RIA puts out a lot of guns and it's sad to see that they are still cranking out a lemon from time to time. I have no idea if it's one in a thousand or every third gun, but they do seem to stand behind them. It will be interesting to hear of what you find on this one CM. Hopefully, it's just an odd tolerance stack that works against the gun and not something fundamental like the angle of the ramp cut or other non-repairable issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. I just finished up the RIA 10mm. It being a 10mm and this being the dedicated thread I am listing it here...:)

The entire gun was full of a sandy debris that I can not identify. It was everywhere.
    I used my parts washer to clean it up. Gun stripped to the last component.
    The pin holes were in spec. The issue was the Sear and the hammer. The sear was so far off it was not repairable. At least not from me anyway. I have some lightly used MIM bits from a few Springers I have done recently. I found a very nice sear and ran it through the jig. It dressed up very well. A slight back cut on it.

I did the same to the RIA hammer. It was a mess as well but came around inside spec. and I left the hooks at .020. They were .023 and .024. Horrible.

It took about an hour to clean up/debugger/polish the trigger bow. I also polished all contact points in the ignition controls. Put it back together wet.

When I started the trigger was well north of horrible.
    With no manipulation of the 3 finger main spring it came out with a 3lb 8oz very crisp trigger with just the slightest amount of creap. It is MIM parts so this can not be eliminated completely and the hooks are still .020 tall.
    I also polished some garf marks out of the barrel lug ramp.

In this I will never consider an RIA for personal ownership. This was not actually a cheap gun. But it sucked over all.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    3 pound 8 oz, crisp, doesn't sound TOO bad to ME. Wondering what you call not cheap? Could this be an inexpensive base for someone to build a work horse?
    I personally can not perform the work you did to this but, would your modifications break the bank for some one who wanted an entry level 10mm 1911? Or would they be money ahead just buying a Delta Elite?
    I guess what I'm really asking is, could you buy the RIA, ($600 out the door) put a couple hundred in it, and have something near a production DE($1050 out the door) ?
    Not in any way doubting your findings and professional opinion, just giving options....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    3 pound 8 oz, crisp, doesn't sound TOO bad to ME. Wondering what you call not cheap? Could this be an inexpensive base for someone to build a work horse?
    I personally can not perform the work you did to this but, would your modifications break the bank for some one who wanted an entry level 10mm 1911? Or would they be money ahead just buying a Delta Elite?
    I guess what I'm really asking is, could you buy the RIA, ($600 out the door) put a couple hundred in it, and have something near a production DE($1050 out the door) ?
    Not in any way doubting your findings and professional opinion, just giving options....

The overall gun itself just does not put me in a positive frame of mind. I really am not a fan of tuning MIM bits and pieces and expecting good long term results from it. Forged parts are the real ticket here. I worked intensely for more than a couple of hours to achieve those results. Not a profitable deal for me.
    I suppose you could get into one of these and put the $200 towards forged parts and probably another $125 for the labor to put it all in properly But it will still just be an RIA. I would never consider running anywhere near full house 10mm out of one of these.

Having been in more than a few of these it seems they have the outward appearance improved but inside it is just an RIA. Nothing I would put in my safe but I have my own standards.
    For the money plus a little I would go with the new Ruger offering or just look at getting one of the new springers.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    The overall gun itself just does not put me in a positive frame of mind. I really am not a fan of tuning MIM bits and pieces and expecting good long term results from it. Forged parts are the real ticket here. I worked intensely for more than a couple of hours to achieve those results. Not a profitable deal for me.
    I suppose you could get into one of these and put the $200 towards forged parts and probably another $125 for the labor to put it all in properly But it will still just be an RIA. I would never consider running anywhere near full house 10mm out of one of these.

Having been in more than a few of these it seems they have the outward appearance improved but inside it is just an RIA. Nothing I would put in my safe but I have my own standards.
    For the money plus a little I would go with the new Ruger offering or just look at getting one of the new springers.

Gotcha, if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck... that all makes sense to me. I'm not familiar with the internals of 1911's, but I know where to send them to make them run. I need to watch some YouTube videos or something to learn how to do a complete disassembly.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

The problem with going the DE route is that you will need to replace pretty much the same components to get a good result. On my DE, I had to have a custom bushing cut by EGW to get rid of the barrel slop. I got rid of the ignition components as the factory ones were out of spec enough that it could not be polished in a jig. The hammer, sear, disconnector and trigger were all replaced with better tool steel parts. The plastic MSH was replaced and I fit a beaver tail grip safety as well as an extended thumb safety. Some of the mods I did were for personal taste, but many were just trying to make a decent pistol out of a mediocre pistol. In the end, I had AllenM checker the front strap, add Novak cuts and cerakote it to become one of my favorite shooters. Out of the box though, it really was not too much better than a factory fresh RIA except for the forged frame and slide. But, it would run well stock, so there is that.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion

So you'd rather support a blatantly anti-2A company? Fair enough, different strokes for different folks and all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So you'd rather support a blatantly anti-2A company? Fair enough, different strokes for different folks and all.

Did you really just say that to me. Wow. We are discussing quality/price point not politics in here. The question was put out and my answer given with no regards to politics.
    No.....I support Springfield for the very reasons mentioned as in quality/price point. I realize what happened but in the end every one of them is complicit in this level of bravo sierra at some point to save their butts. It is the way of things. Like it.....???......no I do not.

If not the brands mentioned then who...???
    Colt is so deeply embedded up the Gov. genitals that have long lost sight of who their supporters are. Who then.

Lets stay on point in this thread please after we get the answer as to who is left in the gun manf. world that we can support without being called out for it.
    I drive GM products as well. Go figure. I must be the enemy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gotcha, if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck... that all makes sense to me. I'm not familiar with the internals of 1911's, but I know where to send them to make them run. I need to watch some YouTube videos or something to learn how to do a complete disassembly.

No Colts for the reasons 88 states in his posts. Just not worth the money they want to get a Prancing horse on your rips.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Did you really just say that to me. Wow. We are discussing quality/price point not politics in here. The question was put out and my answer given with no regards to politics.
    No.....I support Springfield for the very reasons mentioned as in quality/price point. I realize what happened but in the end every one of them is complicit in this level of bravo sierra at some point to save their butts. It is the way of things. Like it.....???......no I do not.

If not the brands mentioned then who...???
    Colt is so deeply embedded up the Gov. genitals that have long lost sight of who their supporters are. Who then.

Lets stay on point in this thread please after we get the answer as to who is left in the gun manf. world that we can support without being called out for it.
    I drive GM products as well. Go figure. I must be the enemy.

At least fudd's recognize when they're fudds. Unfortunately, I can't put you on ignore since your a mod, that's a darn shame. Anway, 10mm ,carry on

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    ff769f9659960d603fa30ae8f2fcceba--google-search-meme.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess we’re no different than the left in how we treat each other. If someone’s not sufficiently shunning the designated heretics we think we need to call them out and try to shame them into compliance.

**** that. How about you do you and let other people do the same. You think a company needs boycotted, boycot them. Maybe even make the case for why other people should. Then STFU and do your thing and accept that not everyone thinks, nor has to think, like you think.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At least fudd's recognize when they're fudds. Unfortunately, I can't put you on ignore since your a mod, that's a darn shame. Anway, 10mm ,carry on

Well you just made the prefered list didn't you.
    See-ya falicia.

30 days. You do not call out others. Especially staff. Nothing I did or said required this response. Read post #34. You might learn something.

And if you could have answered my question we might have had a discussion but NNNnnnooooooooooo that would be to deep for you I guess.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    OK. I got deep into a new RIA 10mm today. I have mentioned that a few I have fondled were or seemed to be fit up pretty well. At least compared to the crap I was used to seeing a few years ago.
    At the risk of putting some butthurt on the happy RIA owners here on the forum I want you to know I am only speaking from 1st hand knowledge of these guns. If you have one and you like it great. Run it and have a ball.

This one came to me from an LGS owner that bought it NIB at the last 1500. He saw it, was interested in trying 10mm because I have been drooling over them. Price was right so he snagged it. 100 rounds into this he had more than a few feed issues and hammer follow. He showed me the gun yesterday and said he was not going to send it back and asked if I would pull up it's skirt and have a look see. He is a friend of long standing so yes, no worries.

This is the gun....
    LB54R13.jpg

These are the bits.....
    eR2oFQb.jpg

The entire gun was full of what felt like sand. Not metal from the process but sand. It was everywhere.
    The sear to hammer Geometry was so far off I am going to check the frame to make sure it is in spec.
    More to follow.

Some 1911 makers probably ship their guns with lapping compound instead of grease. Lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

This guy is gone, but which company did he think was "blatantly anti-2A"? Ruger?

If Ruger, was that based on Bill Ruger's rhetoric and actions in the early 1990s? Wonder if he knows that Bill Ruger is dead and Ruger Sturm doesn't play that game anymore?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I guess we’re no different than the left in how we treat each other. If someone’s not sufficiently shunning the designated heretics we think we need to call them out and try to shame them into compliance.

**** that. How about you do you and let other people do the same. You think a company needs boycotted, boycot them. Maybe even make the case for why other people should. Then STFU and do your thing and accept that not everyone thinks, nor has to think, like you think.

I agree with this.

Top Bottom