• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ok guys, I need a good muffler shop. Although I'm not looking for show quality I am looking for quality! Prefer vicinity of southside Indy; Mooresville, Plainfield, Avon, etc. Would consider driving further if the recommendation warrants but not looking forward to driving this thing with uncapped shorties farther than necessary. Gonna do 2 1/2", Flowmasters, probably X pipe it but haven't determined where it's going to exit at yet. I kinda like the behind tire look, second choice is to turn down below the back bumper and side exhaust is an extremely distant third. This thing is big enough that I don't want to see any pipe from the side view which shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok guys, I need a good muffler shop. Although I'm not looking for show quality I am looking for quality! Prefer vicinity of southside Indy; Mooresville, Plainfield, Avon, etc. Would consider driving further if the recommendation warrants but not looking forward to driving this thing with uncapped shorties farther than necessary. Gonna do 2 1/2", Flowmasters, probably X pipe it but haven't determined where it's going to exit at yet. I kinda like the behind tire look, second choice is to turn down below the back bumper and side exhaust is an extremely distant third. This thing is big enough that I don't want to see any pipe from the side view which shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!
    Not to sound like a total old man, but as someone who just cannonballed to Florida and back.... My ears are still ringing. I've got headers, 2.5" all the way back with a set of summit turbos and exiting right behind the rear tires. It sucks a lot on the highway. I originally had the pipes going all the way out back and it wasn't bad at all.... Just FYI.... I would not go flowmaster if you're planning to drive the car any length of time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not to sound like a total old man, but as someone who just cannonballed to Florida and back.... My ears are still ringing. I've got headers, 2.5" all the way back with a set of summit turbos and exiting right behind the rear tires. It sucks a lot on the highway. I originally had the pipes going all the way out back and it wasn't bad at all.... Just FYI.... I would not go flowmaster if you're planning to drive the car any length of time.

But but but.........Hot Rods is suppose to be loud man.

I have had a lot of pipe work done right down the street from me. Roadmaster is the shop name. It started as convenience. I could roll a block south with open headers and walk home. Pick up the car later when it is done. Not been there in a few years. I will be talking to them again when I get my 64 up and running as it will need pipes. 10 blocks north of the 4th turn gate of the 500. Might be farther than you want to drive but I am not aware of to many custom pipe shops anymore.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Flowmaster actually makes several fairly quiet mufflers. Although I haven't heard some of their quieter ones in person I found this video informative:

[video=youtube;QEBdiW4LbI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBdiW4LbI0[/video]

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Flowmaster actually makes several fairly quiet mufflers. Although I haven't heard some of their quieter ones in person I found this video informative:

[video=youtube;QEBdiW4LbI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBdiW4LbI0[/video]
    Hmm. I'd have to hear them. We put a set of 50 series delta flows on an FE Ford. That thing was LOUD. I'm not really a fan of the flowmaster sound, so I may be a little opinionated.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hmm. I'd have to hear them. We put a set of 50 series delta flows on an FE Ford. That thing was LOUD. I'm not really a fan of the flowmaster sound, so I may be a little opinionated.

I think for a "stockish" motor, they are ok. But when there is more hp, there are better options. This is just my opinion though.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I think for a "stockish" motor, they are ok. But when there is more hp, there are better options. This is just my opinion though.

I am beginning to get a little concerned now, I found a video actually comparing several different flowmasters on the same engine and the 50's were quite a bit louder than anticipated. We want to be able to drive this beasty to Key West one of these days so something along the lines of the old Chrysler hemi mufflers may be more in line with what we're looking for.

I do love the 40's on the race car exhaust but that's a different purpose.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am beginning to get a little concerned now, I found a video actually comparing several different flowmasters on the same engine and the 50's were quite a bit louder than anticipated. We want to be able to drive this beasty to Key West one of these days so something along the lines of the old Chrysler hemi mufflers may be more in line with what we're looking for.

I do love the 40's on the race car exhaust but that's a different purpose.
    Turbos for the win! Nice little rumble, pretty quiet on the highway. Overdrive trans would help tremendously. I would definitely run it all the way out back. Trust me, I just made that drive. :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom