Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I sold my 65 Biscayne I pulled the rocking stroker out and sold it to a bracket racer. We had built a street reliable 454 for a cat that could no finish paying for it. I put it in the Biscayne to make it more streetable for the common guy. When I put some heat in it and started the cam break in we lost the cam about 10 minutes in.
    That is when I discovered they had pulled all the good **** out of the oil.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I bought some Lucas zinc additive that is supposed to work well.

To the guy with the mustang, you don't need a winter car. Get some good all seasons and three bags of sand. My 2015 does fine in snow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought some Lucas zinc additive that is supposed to work well.

To the guy with the mustang, you don't need a winter car. Get some good all seasons and three bags of sand. My 2015 does fine in snow.

I have heard of the additives. I just do not want to loose another camshaft. In all the engines I have ever built I have only lost the one. And it sucked butt.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Rusty- they do make good stuff too. Joe Gibbs oil brand Driven makes good stuff too.
    I have had good reliability from Royal Purple, Amzoil, Driven, Lucas and Mobil. Have used others but these synthetics have exceeded my expectations. My engine builder has shown me some of his personally tested stuff and that's why I use Royal Purple. He uses it in all of his personal stuff and in anything he builds. If I hit the lottery he would still be my go to builder. I have more trust in him than any other builders I have known

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rusty- they do make good stuff too. Joe Gibbs oil brand Driven makes good stuff too.
    I have had good reliability from Royal Purple, Amzoil, Driven, Lucas and Mobil. Have used others but these synthetics have exceeded my expectations. My engine builder has shown me some of his personally tested stuff and that's why I use Royal Purple. He uses it in all of his personal stuff and in anything he builds. If I hit the lottery he would still be my go to builder. I have more trust in him than any other builders I have known

Once you find "The Guy" it is hard to look elsewhere.

My go to Dyno guy passed away a little over a year ago. Have not found a replacement and might not need one.
    The machinist I used is in a sad state health wise. So I have had to find a suitable replacement. I re-sized the rods in the Olds myself if that says anything to you.
    I have a great cylinder head guy.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We used Gibbs stuff for awhile. He found that it actually caused rust, yes I looked at him funny too. Former "Nuke" in the Navy, I trust him with anything. He's forgotten more stuff than I will ever know.... :):

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Once you find "The Guy" it is hard to look elsewhere.

My go to Dyno guy passed away a little over a year ago. Have not found a replacement and might not need one.
    The machinist I used is in a sad state health wise. So I have had to find a suitable replacement. I re-sized the rods in the Olds myself if that says anything to you.
    I have a great cylinder head guy.

Yeah once you find that guy it's hard to look anywhere else. Helps that our motor is almost a carbon copy of the one he had in his car at the time. He has since gone with a lot more cu.in and 4 stages of nitrous.
    Had plenty of bad experiences with other shops unfortunately

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah once you find that guy it's hard to look anywhere else. Helps that our motor is almost a carbon copy of the one he had in his car at the time. He has since gone with a lot more cu.in and 4 stages of nitrous.
    Had plenty of bad experiences with other shops unfortunately
    We've seen many cars come in the shop with with "brand new" rebuilt engines by "professionals"... The most recent two, one had a main cap bolt laying in the bottom of the oil pan and a cracked cylinder wall that didn't get fixed, the other was a brand new block filled will old used up race parts... First had 200 miles on it after a $13,000 rebuild, the other had 8 hrs run time on it...

People suck man..... They just suck....

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some people do suck that's for sure.
    That's some £*#$'ed up crap. I have heard too many stories of people paying lots of money for "professionally rebuilt" engines and got took. Have know some people who had good engines that needed freshened up, got it home and lacked power only to find someone else's parts were used. It's crazy man

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's the best reply I've heard in a while! It's impossible to duplicate the connection you get from a manual transmission.

It is but after years of 3 peddle drag racing I finally quite because the auto's were just to consistent in the brackets. Instead of making the switch I moved on to other things. I always missed being at the track but filled that desire by working on professional teams as a week end warrior. It was a great time in my life.

Decided to get back into the mix and built 2 Turbo-400 cars. Reverse valve body trans brake high stall pieces. Once we learned to drive them it turned out to be pretty cool. 4000 launch chip on the T-brake is hard to match.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's the best reply I've heard in a while! It's impossible to duplicate the connection you get from a manual transmission.

I can understand the connection with rowing through the gears...But, a good automatic transmission (glide or turbo 400) with a trans brake, high stall converter and a manual valve body is pretty awesome. Pull into the beams, hit the trans brake button and mat it to the floor with a 4800-5000rpm chip in the box let off the button and launch with the front wheels @ 8"off the ground for about 65ft while pulling almost 2.5G's,waiting for the shift light and then about half track banging it into high gear with just enough time to pull your hand from the shifter and pull the chute before getting on the brakes all while keeping it steered as straight as you can is pretty exciting stuff.
    I give credit where it's due though rowing through the gears of a 4spd or 5spd is fun but to do it consistently under hard acceleration takes serious skill and focus

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I really enjoy watching the pure stock guys run the old 4 speeds. Just too much fun. Yes it takes skill and focus and it's not as fast as the automatic cars, but it's fun to watch. :cool:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can understand the connection with rowing through the gears...But, a good automatic transmission (glide or turbo 400) with a trans brake, high stall converter and a manual valve body is pretty awesome. Pull into the beams, hit the trans brake button and mat it to the floor with a 4800-5000rpm chip in the box let off the button and launch with the front wheels @ 8"off the ground for about 65ft while pulling almost 2.5G's,waiting for the shift light and then about half track banging it into high gear with just enough time to pull your hand from the shifter and pull the chute before getting on the brakes all while keeping it steered as straight as you can is pretty exciting stuff.
    I give credit where it's due though rowing through the gears of a 4spd or 5spd is fun but to do it consistently under hard acceleration takes serious skill and focus

We had Shift Noids on chips. Took a while to get my son to use it as he was a dyed in the wool 4 speed kid. He enjoyed "Driving" the car.
    Thing is, a lot happens in 6 short seconds and once he let me engage the Noid he became more consistent and very competitive. He grew used to it and actually had time to focus on the actual race.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I still miss the 3rd peddle.

Look on the floor.....what is that.......well yes, it is a clutch peddle. Car was a 3 on the tree factory. It was a 4 speed when I got it.

This was pre-Shift Noid.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom