• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got a feeling this won't be cheap. Lost all forward gears in 2013 Silverado this morning. Pulling out in front of car and got on the gas fairly hard and when she got to 2nd gear there was a thump and the engine rev'd. Doesn't go into any forward gears but I still have reverse. Got it towed to the shop and hopefully will have a diagnoses today or tomorrow. Kind of surprised me with only 99k miles and it's the old 4 speed.
    That about the miles the one in my our Yukon let go. It died at speed on the interstate as CKW was rolling to work.
    It pushed the front seal out and spewed all the fluid out of it. I picked up a matching core from my buddy’s bone yard and had it rebuilt. Then we swapped it out for the dead one.
    If you liked it it is gonna set you back some serious change.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Zoinks. Do you know if it's a 4l60e or a 4l80e or something else? I've heard the 60's can be fragile. 80's are supposed to be tanks.
    80’s come in the bigger rigs. 3/4 and 1 tons. They are akin to the turbo 400’s of old in strength.
    I believe they make an 85 now but that has to be a 6 speed.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    It's only a half ton so I'm sure it's got the 60 in it. The bell housing was wet when I looked at this morning so it might have blown the seal. I've never had a auto trans worked on before so I'm sure I'll be in sticker shock. Hell the last transmission I worked on was 5sp manual in a ranger back in the late 90's. Besides that I've never had any transmission troubles so I guess I'm over do.

The truck is in great shape so it will be getting repaired. This is the 1st issue I've had with it, unfortunately it's going to be a costly one. I was only planning on keeping the truck another year or 2 but now it might end up being longer. Got to get my moneys worth out of this repair LOL

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    No I'm trying to find the best deal on a rental. I've got the firebird I could pull out but it's never seen salt/snowy roads and I really don't want to start that now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ouch! $2800 to rebuild it. Said it was something internal, not enough fluid on the outside to be a seal.
    It was $1900 when I did my Yukon so this sounds about right. There are many mechanical and electrical parts to be replaced inside it. Solenoids and harness.
    You already know I am sure.
    None of that is cheap.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Don't know if GM is still doing it, but when the 4L80E in my '91 suburban lost reverse, I was able to buy a factory rebuilt one from the dealer for quite a bit less than any local shop wanted to rebuild it. Came with a 3/36000 warranty.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Leaving the gm dealer last fall it’s getting hard to find gm reman units. They want the dealer tripping apart the broken one and rebuilding them

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    The shop said it be about $1000 more to get a reman. But he did say remans are getting harder to come by and he'd have to check with the vendors to make sure they had some in stock. Seems like everything else lately, low stock. The shop is in brownsburg and I've heard nothing but good things about them. They only do transmissions so I'm thinking they might not be the cheapest but hopefully do a good job.

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    ouch! $2800 to rebuild it. Said it was something internal, not enough fluid on the outside to be a seal.
    Try Tony’s transmission in Greenwood. He has done 2 of them for me. One in a Silverado and one in a blazer. Have never had an issue and were around $1200 and he did the R&R.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Well fellas. Looks like my fun toy days are numbered. We need to put a fence around our backyard and we need a new roof. Something’s gotta go. Seems like we’re due for a market crash anyway so I should probably sell now anyway while the used car market is still up.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well fellas. Looks like my fun toy days are numbered. We need to put a fence around our backyard and we need a new roof. Something’s gotta go. Seems like we’re due for a market crash anyway so I should probably sell now anyway while the used car market is still up.
    Well, that sucks. If so, hopefully you'll be in a position to enjoy the next fun toy soon

Top Bottom