• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Square body's are off the charts money wise right now and showing no signs of slowing down either. Mom45 here on the board has a few and prefers them over new.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Square body's are off the charts money wise right now and showing no signs of slowing down either. Mom45 here on the board has a few and prefers them over new.
    I should hook up with her and see if she can help me. I have contacts in Texas so that will be an area I'll look. I seem to come into things at the wrong time, but if I can find that "right deal" even if it's more than what I think should be paid for a squarebody, I'll be okay with it. I won't plan on getting my money out of it if I would ever sell it.

Heck, I had a salvage FORD for a few years for my "home reno" truck. No potential, literally a junkyard truck and I liked it. When the motor died, I sold it to the junkyard for it's second visit there.

If I can find a survivor in a nameplate that I really want, I could get some enjoyment with it and still have functional transportation. Plus it wouldn't be a bad idea for us to have two vehicles between us. I will lose the company car at some point.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Man I swear I thought this thread was gone. I haven’t seen it in forever. Even asked Jeff if it was gone the other day.

A couple weeks ago I started working part time at Putnam Park as a corner flagger. It’s been fun so far and the cars are amazing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man I swear I thought this thread was gone. I haven’t seen it in forever. Even asked Jeff if it was gone the other day.

A couple weeks ago I started working part time at Putnam Park as a corner flagger. It’s been fun so far and the cars are amazing.
    We used that place to test back in the day. I have turned tires there in some seriously cool race cars.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Man I am so tired of paying people to do **** and then having them **** it up!!! We came back from our FL trip a day early so I had the wife call the repair shop down the street to see if they could balance the tires on the convertible using tape on wheel weights today. "SURE, NO PROBLEM if you don't mind leaving it for the day, we'll fit it in!

COOL!

Couldn't pick it up when they were done but the wife stopped by, paid for the work and picked up the keys and then we went back and picked up the car an hour or so after they closed. Got it home, turned full lock to pull into the garage and I hear the distinct noise of clamp on wheel weights hitting the lower A-Arm.:xmad: Why the **** is it so difficult to follow simple instructions???????

Now I have to make special arrangements AGAIN to have the front and rear windshields redone on the Galaxie because THEY WEREN'T DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. And I have to make special arrangements AGAIN to have the wheels balanced on the convertible BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

I tell ya, this part of the country would be a GREAT place for a shop that could get **** done right THE FIRST TIME!

:ranton:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man I am so tired of paying people to do **** and then having them **** it up!!! We came back from our FL trip a day early so I had the wife call the repair shop down the street to see if they could balance the tires on the convertible using tape on wheel weights today. "SURE, NO PROBLEM if you don't mind leaving it for the day, we'll fit it in!

COOL!

Couldn't pick it up when they were done but the wife stopped by, paid for the work and picked up the keys and then we went back and picked up the car an hour or so after they closed. Got it home, turned full lock to pull into the garage and I hear the distinct noise of clamp on wheel weights hitting the lower A-Arm.:xmad: Why the **** is it so difficult to follow simple instructions???????

Now I have to make special arrangements AGAIN to have the front and rear windshields redone on the Galaxie because THEY WEREN'T DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. And I have to make special arrangements AGAIN to have the wheels balanced on the convertible BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

I tell ya, this part of the country would be a GREAT place for a shop that could get **** done right THE FIRST TIME!

Same thing with Jegs and a number of other on line conveniences (:lmfao:)
    I have had maybe 1 out of 18 orders from Jegs not have an issue. Working on #19 right now and it appears to m screwed up as well.
    Not sure its any better at Summit.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Same thing with Jegs and a number of other on line conveniences (:lmfao:)
    I have had maybe 1 out of 18 orders from Jegs not have an issue. Working on #19 right now and it appears to m screwed up as well.
    Not sure its any better at Summit.
    Never really had any problems with Summit or Jegs but Jegs isn't my go to. Many moons ago I had a Holley blue pump lay down about a week after installation. The problem was it had been sitting on my shelf for about 8 months before it was installed. I called summit and they said, sorry the warranty period starts when you receive it not when you install it. I asked them to pull up my account and tell me how much I'd spent with them in the prior year so I could check my records. After a few seconds he said Oh wow! Mr. M your new pump is being prepared for shipment immediately!:spend: I made him swear he'd never share that info with the ex.

In retrospect it would have moved things along quicker.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

COOL!

And this is why I don't like buying stuff already done! It's usually not done to my standards.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Someone want to explain wtf is going on with the braking system on my truck?

Two weeks ago, I replaced the rear pads and rotors. The next day, the very effing next day, the caliper stuck. Ever so slightly, but I noticed it. By Sunday, it locked up on an hour drive south. I tapped it with a sledge to free it (seriously, I tapped it, not beat it). I drove it an hour north, an hour west, and an hour back home. No issues.

Tonight, a week and several hundred miles later, I'm almost home and the effing passenger front caliper is locking up now!

HOW does this issue just keep bouncing around on my truck? All four calipers have been replaced, some more than once. All four rubber hoses have been replaced. Some more than once. All the pads and rotors. The master cylinder. The abs pump. The hydroboost.
    Everything but the hard lines has been replaced.
    All in 60k miles.

So please, someone, tell me what in the ever loving @?@?#!&!&@##? I am doing wrong because I can't stand this.

PS - looking at a 2wd single cab truck that's beat up with a Cummins in it. Legitimately considering buying it, swapping in my engine, and selling my truck and moving on. This brake issue HAS to stop.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Two weeks ago, I replaced the rear pads and rotors. The next day, the very effing next day, the caliper stuck. Ever so slightly, but I noticed it. By Sunday, it locked up on an hour drive south. I tapped it with a sledge to free it (seriously, I tapped it, not beat it). I drove it an hour north, an hour west, and an hour back home. No issues.

Tonight, a week and several hundred miles later, I'm almost home and the effing passenger front caliper is locking up now!

HOW does this issue just keep bouncing around on my truck? All four calipers have been replaced, some more than once. All four rubber hoses have been replaced. Some more than once. All the pads and rotors. The master cylinder. The abs pump. The hydroboost.
    All in 60k miles.

So please, someone, tell me what in the ever loving @?@?#!&!&@##? I am doing wrong because I can't stand this.

PS - looking at a 2wd single cab truck that's beat up with a Cummins in it. Legitimately considering buying it, swapping in my engine, and selling my truck and moving on. This brake issue HAS to stop.

Rust in a hard line or distribution block? Problem with a prop valve, again, internal? Sounds like you've got a monkey throwing extra ingredients into your lemonade recipe. Wish I could offer some legit advice or btdt help but you've hit on everything in the system.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Something a little different: Many moons ago whilst living in Key West Florida I had a nice 66 Mustang. It had started life as a plain jane 6 banger with the only options of an automatic transmission and seat belts. It had suffered a minor fender bender prior to my purchasing it for $200.

I had accessorized it with the aid of a Mr JC Whitney; L88 hood scoop, shelby ducktail rear spoiler, front spoiler, side scoops, my own version of an "R" Model front apron, glass pack(s), and dual exhaust courtesy of some clifford research headers. All of this completed prior to moving to paradise.

Upon moving to KW I scored a "recently rebuilt" 289 and started learning about cars. I went to work part time in the body shop at the local Chrysler dealer body shop where we painted it Imron in the brightest red in the book. Slot mags were added, 70 Mach 1 bucket seats and a few other goodies.

In the summer of '78 the NSRA Street Machine/Van Nationals were being held in Tulsa Ok and since we had family friends that lived just outside of Tulsa I decided to attend them. The trip up was pretty mundane although I did learn a lesson, thankfully cost free, about hydroplaning, I learned that Arkansas in the summer time seemed to be THE place to be if you were a love bug, and small town cops really don't **** around if they think you are preparing to rob the local savings and loan.

So anyhow I roll into Claremore Ok, the domain of above said family friends and the first thing I do is head to the local car wash to remove the Arkansas denizens that have attached themselves to my front end. At the car wash there is a SWEET '70 Boss 302, black with silver stripes. The owner, Brent Bushyhead, and I talked about the cars and the nats which he was attending in order to sell the boss. IIRC he was asking $4500 for it which wasn't far off of new and WAY out of my league at the time.

While all of this was going on a guy by the name of John Hansford (huge, I mean HUGE car guy) was preparing to attend the nationals with his extremely yellow '70 Corvette droptop. While at the nationals he happened to shoot some pics of Mr Bushyhead's Boss. John and my paths never crossed during this event.

Several years later I found myself going to school in Tulsa Ok and being employed at a local Parts/Speed shop called Whitlock Auto Supply. While working there I met and became friends with Mr John Hansford and remain such to this day.

Many years later John was digging thru some old photographs and ran across this one of Brent B's Boss:

1619872160925.png

Sitting next to the Boss is a Maverick with 427 on the fenders although IIRC it was wishful thinking.

A couple of days after sending me the above photo John said "I believe the shirtless fellow in the picture is you". I kind of laughed and responded that how weird would that be that he'd captured a photo of me at a place 1500 miles from where I lived several years before we'd even met.

Then yesterday he sent me this pic:

1619872321666.png

Yup, that's definitely me, I remember the shoes and that's my 66 in the background. Kind of neat I thought. I was halfway ripped back in the day, whodathunkit?

Edit: Upon closer examination of the photo containing the Maverick it does indeed appear to have some type of FE sitting under the hood. If you know Fords you can understand the effort to make that happen!

Attachments

• 1619872108925.png
      1619872108925.png
      5.9 MB · Views: 1
    Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

All in 60k miles.

Maybe rust in the tee on the rear-end, or a check valve in the system? I'm with Femurphy you've already touched on most of the things.

Is it just the rear brakes, and has all the fluid been flushed?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Something a little different: Many moons ago whilst living in Key West Florida I had a nice 66 Mustang. It had started life as a plain jane 6 banger with the only options of an automatic transmission and seat belts. It had suffered a minor fender bender prior to my purchasing it for $200.

I had accessorized it with the aid of a Mr JC Whitney; L88 hood scoop, shelby ducktail rear spoiler, front spoiler, side scoops, my own version of an "R" Model front apron, glass pack(s), and dual exhaust courtesy of some clifford research headers. All of this completed prior to moving to paradise.

Upon moving to KW I scored a "recently rebuilt" 289 and started learning about cars. I went to work part time in the body shop at the local Chrysler dealer body shop where we painted it Imron in the brightest red in the book. Slot mags were added, 70 Mach 1 bucket seats and a few other goodies.

In the summer of '78 the NSRA Street Machine/Van Nationals were being held in Tulsa Ok and since we had family friends that lived just outside of Tulsa I decided to attend them. The trip up was pretty mundane although I did learn a lesson, thankfully cost free, about hydroplaning, I learned that Arkansas in the summer time seemed to be THE place to be if you were a love bug, and small town cops really don't **** around if they think you are preparing to rob the local savings and loan.

So anyhow I roll into Claremore Ok, the domain of above said family friends and the first thing I do is head to the local car wash to remove the Arkansas denizens that have attached themselves to my front end. At the car wash there is a SWEET '70 Boss 302, black with silver stripes. The owner, Brent Bushyhead, and I talk about the cars and the nats which he was attending in order to sell the boss. IIRC he was asking $4500 for it which wasn't far off of new and WAY out of my league at the time.

While all of this was going on a guy by the name of John Hansford (huge, I mean HUGE car guy) was preparing to attend the nationals as a spectator. While at the nationals he happened to shoot some pics of Mr Bushyhead's Boss. John and my paths never crossed during this event.

Several years later I found myself going to school in Tulsa Ok and being employed at a local Parts/Speed shop called Whitlock Auto Supply. While working there I met and became friends with Mr John Hansford and remain such to this day.

Many years later John was digging thru some old photographs and ran across this one of Brent B's Boss:

View attachment 137950

Sitting next to the Boss is a Maverick with 427 on the fenders although IIRC it was wishful thinking.

A couple of days after sending me the above photo John said "I believe the shirtless fellow in the picture is you". I kind of laughed and responded that how weird would that be that he'd captured a photo of me at a place 1500 miles from where I lived several years before we'd even met.

Then yesterday he sent me this pic:

View attachment 137951

Yup, that's definitely me, I remember the shoes and that's my 66 in the background. Kind of neat I thought. I was halfway ripped back in the day, whodathunkit?
    Neat story!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just got home from C&C. Great show. Cleetus is really a showman. And good at it. The burnout contest awesome. I missed the first few of the open class, including the "triully" I pictured above. I'll catch it on a replay later.

Just Neighbor and Warbird are worth the price of admission.

The downside. We did not know coolers were allowed or we would have brought ours. The lines for food/drinks were RIDICULOUS. I waited almost 2 hours to get food. We hadn't eaten anything since before we left home and we're pretty hungry. And I forgot sunscreen. Ouch.

The car hauler was stupid cool, especially when it was lit up when we left.

PXL_20210502_012144848.jpg

Overall, we were happy. Hopefully we will be back next year.

Top Bottom