• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is what’s killing NASCAR and open wheel. To G. D. Many rules that feed the satellite shops builds the chassis/Etc.
    USAC has went this way when Beast started building chassis.
    The guy building his own at home (as many did) could no longer keep up with the curve and rules. Engine changes as well. We had to scramble just to run another season and gave up early into the one after that. The new combinations were just impostor be competitive with.
    The really big money guys just widened the gap. Many of us had to step away or run outlaw tracks. Just like you say.
    Obviously you have to have some safety rules and most of those I can agree to with no problem.
    But, when you have so many rules that you almost need an interpreter to make sense of them all, that drives people away. Not to mention it drives the costs up significantly and becomes a major obstacle in getting more, especially younger people involved

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can still back up to the guard rail. They however have stopped the crowds in and around the starting line. They have extended the runout by about 1000 ft.

It’s s 20 min from the house so I have ran it since I was 16.

Windy Hollow was bad about people standing behind the burnout box. Witnessed a drunk dude get run over there in about 1985.

Yeah some stupid fast cars that are sketchy at best that IMO would never past NHRA or IHRA tech.
    I admit my cars were always faster than the rules you just had to slow them down to fit. I agree that we need safety. The thing we are facing is legal B people. The sanctioning bodies have lawyers and they are deeply involved. Some of the results are higher and Betty catch fences as we have seen in the go left series. And in truth they are a good thing. People have been seriously injured/died in the stands. But some things you just can’t stop.
    Right front came off our car (Tony Bettenhousan) in 89 and Roberto punted it into the stands killing a spectator 2 rows from the top. How do you stop that.

But yes, as they get faster the risk involved gets more intense. To the drivers and the fans.

I am no fan of spectators crowding the lanes and the starting line. Crew only. Period. That’s a good rule.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Finally decided on the wheels for the convertible:1650919259927.png

enkei.jpg

It gives me the offset I need with the Cobra IRS conversion. I ordered them two weeks ago from a place in Chicago (shudder) because they "have them in stock ready to ship". After a week of showing my order "pending" and finally calling them they told me that they had no record of my order. I responded that I can send them a copy of the paypal receipt! Suddenly they located the order and told me 4-6 weeks to ship at which time I told them to cancel the order. This was last Wednesday. Looking at the order over the weekend it said "Processing" and just now I received a text from Fedex saying my wheels will be delivered this Wednesday.

I don't like shenanigans and I'm thinking about grabbing my broom!:xmad:

On the other hand this is keeping me from setting the car back on the ground.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah that was actually keeping me from buying them. I prefer a 5 spoke design similar to the BMW "M" wheels that were on my '00 540. The closest Enkei has is the pf01 but I didn't like the spoke/rim interface so went with the RPF1.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finally decided on the wheels for the convertible:View attachment 196989

View attachment 196990

It gives me the offset I need with the Cobra IRS conversion. I ordered them two weeks ago from a place in Chicago (shudder) because they "have them in stock ready to ship". After a week of showing my order "pending" and finally calling them they told me that they had no record of my order. I responded that I can send them a copy of the paypal receipt! Suddenly they located the order and told me 4-6 weeks to ship at which time I told them to cancel the order. This was last Wednesday. Looking at the order over the weekend it said "Processing" and just now I received a text from Fedex saying my wheels will be delivered this Wednesday.

I don't like shenanigans and I'm thinking about grabbing my broom!:xmad:

On the other hand this is keeping me from setting the car back on the ground.
    Well 1st its a Chicago based business and 2nd they could be partners with cheaper than dirt.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    OK if they electrify the vette I will have to do a sailor dive off the 56th street bridge.
    NFW peoples. Holy mother of all that is true and Holy just say it aint so.

Hybrid setup. Electric motors to supplement the gas engine.

When the fastest production car in the world is a pedestrian all electric sedan, these other brands are bound to do something to try to keep up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hybrid setup. Electric motors to supplement the gas engine.

When the fastest production car in the world is a pedestrian all electric sedan, these other brands are bound to do something to try to keep up.
    It just hurts CP. It just hurts.
    Great advances in tech. No argument. But old school has a well defined end date.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OK if they electrify the vette I will have to do a sailor dive off the 56th street bridge.
    NFW peoples. Holy mother of all that is true and Holy just say it aint so.
    Obviously I'm not a particular fan of the 'vette, but it's sickening how the auto industry is absolutely caving to the whole EV push. I get EV's are here to stay but there needs to be some balance. Not everyone wants this crap.

As a technician, I never wanted to be an electrician. It just never appealed to me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Great advances in tech. No argument. But old school has a well defined end date.
    What do these booger eating morons expect guys like us to do? They want to force us into compliance with cars, they want to regulate guns out of our hands. These people who can't just leave the rest of us alone **** me off.
    It hurts when you are always under attack by window licking F tards

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

I don’t disagree with you at all.

I’m just saying, if you’re trying to build the fastest supercar on the road, electric is just better. It really can’t be argued.

Does it rob the car of it’s soul? Absolutely.

Does it make the car faster in every way? Yes.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t disagree with you at all.

I’m just saying, if you’re trying to build the fastest supercar on the road, electric is just better. It really can’t be argued.

Does it rob the car of it’s soul? Absolutely.

Does it make the car faster in every way? Yes.
    That's the biggest problem with EV's, they are completely soulless. Most of the newer fast showroom street cars are pretty dang soulless but at least they still have some sou d and you can feel them working when you got your foot in it.
    Not sure that's the case with the EV stuff

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That's the biggest problem with EV's, they are completely soulless. Most of the newer fast showroom street cars are pretty dang soulless but at least they still have some sou d and you can feel them working when you got your foot in it.
    Not sure that's the case with the EV stuff

They’re appliances. Stupidly fast appliances, but still just appliances.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    So, I made a slight calculation error in choosing to use the Mountaineer 302 in my turbo project.
    Guess what kind of pistons those engines come with? If you guessed, "not the right kind for boost," then congratulations, you can have whatever is left of a piston when I send it to space! For real, this thing probably has hyper-eutectic pistons and I'm not gonna lie, I don't care lol. I mean, I do. But I've seen multiple counts of guys boosting them, so we'll just see what happens I guess. I'm not backing down from it.

I've got two spare 351's and a 302 WITH forged pistons in it, so I'll figure something out.
    And if you're wondering, "why not just yoink the motor from the convertible and rebuild it with the new heads/cam???" the answer is: this car has had a WICKED vibration starting at about 3500 rpm for the last 5 years. I've replaced the harmonic balancer, engine mounts, and literally almost everything behind the crankshaft. The Flywheel, clutch, trans has been rebuilt thrice, mounts, basically everything I can think of. Makes the vibration in gear, out of gear, clutch engaged, disengaged, hell I had the transmission out of the car and it still did it.
    I'm convinced something is out of whack with that motor and I'm not really looking to put it back in anytime soon. Wondering if the endplay is farked and it needs... well idk if that would be a new shaft or just bearings?

We move on regardless!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What do these booger eating morons expect guys like us to do? They want to force us into compliance with cars, they want to regulate guns out of our hands. These people who can't just leave the rest of us alone **** me off.
    It hurts when you are always under attack by window licking F tards
    The plan is already at work in farm implements. You sign a loan for 1/2 a million dollars, they deliver a computer controlled machine. You are allowed to fuel it up, pretty much anything else is illegal. If it dies in the field you call the dealer and hope he can get a repairman out before your crop goes bad in the field. I am sure that very shortly the computers will send reports of your harvest so they can get a percentage, and be able to turn the equipment off if you are late on your payment (or did not get the government shots)

The car companies are working out the details. What a business model, you sell a product, the customer pays you in full and he still has to pay you rent if he wants to use it. Welcome to the world of electronic slavery, microprocessor handcuffs.

Does anyone else feel funny when automated software on your computer makes you take a series of tests to prove you are not a robot?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The plan is already at work in farm implements. You sign a loan for 1/2 a million dollars, they deliver a computer controlled machine. You are allowed to fuel it up, pretty much anything else is illegal. If it dies in the field you call the dealer and hope he can get a repairman out before your crop goes bad in the field. I am sure that very shortly the computers will send reports of your harvest so they can get a percentage, and be able to turn the equipment off if you are late on your payment (or did not get the government shots)

The car companies are working out the details. What a business model, you sell a product, the customer pays you in full and he still has to pay you rent if he wants to use it. Welcome to the world of electronic slavery, microprocessor handcuffs.

Does anyone else feel funny when automated software on your computer makes you take a series of tests to prove you are not a robot?
    I work in the IT field. Software has been going to a subscription model for years. I mean, 2012 roughly. Cars are likely to go the same way. If you look at all the leasing/payment plans and crap, it seems to be where the subscription platform came from. Constantly have someone on the hook for anything they own. What a horrible way to live.
    We have payments on the wife's Explorer sport, but that's because I don't screw with it. That car is utility (and a lot of fun, not gonna lie). If we got to the point where the payments were too bad, I'd happily sell it and downsize.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom