• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I saw on YouTube a while ago that Murder Nova is consistently in the 3’s. Crazy.

Well, yes and no. Keep in mind he has 2 Nova's and calls them both Murder Nova. The newer version which he has had for 2 or 3 years now has broken into the 3.90s and is very much different than the Murder Nova he runs on the street. But, the street car probably runs 4.20's-4.30's.

A couple years ago I was at a race and Doc with the street beast and Monza (when he still ran nitrous) were both there making passes and they were both running low 4.30's then. Another thing to keep in mind, most of these crazy fast cars are doing it with traction control

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Well, yes and no. Keep in mind he has 2 Nova's and calls them both Murder Nova. The newer version which he has had for 2 or 3 years now has broken into the 3.90s and is very much different than the Murder Nova he runs on the street. But, the street car probably runs 4.20's-4.30's.

A couple years ago I was at a race and Doc with the street beast and Monza (when he still ran nitrous) were both there making passes and they were both running low 4.30's then. Another thing to keep in mind, most of these crazy fast cars are doing it with traction control

I feel like we’ve had that conversation in this thread before but drag racing nowadays almost feels like cheating. ECU powered traction control is making things exponentially easier.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I feel like we’ve had that conversation in this thread before but drag racing nowadays almost feels like cheating. ECU powered traction control is making things exponentially easier.

Well it certainly allows more power to be applied and and has resulted in faster ET's. But it is making it more of a tuners game for sure and is killing many heads up "sportsman" classes. The most common traction control being used by the really fast guys is Davis Technologies. A couple years ago we looked into and talked with them at PRI, but quickly realized it was more than we were willing to spend at 10k for the system. The technology available is incredible if a person is willing to spend the money

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well it certainly allows more power to be applied and and has resulted in faster ET's. But it is making it more of a tuners game for sure and is killing many heads up "sportsman" classes. The most common traction control being used by the really fast guys is Davis Technologies. A couple years ago we looked into and talked with them at PRI, but quickly realized it was more than we were willing to spend at 10k for the system. The technology available is incredible if a person is willing to spend the money

Thats the whole issues as it most always ends up. Money.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

The difference between going 8’s and going 6’s is only, what, $100,000?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thats the whole issues as it most always ends up. Money.

Yep. And that is why I admit a person has to be a special kind of stupid to race heads up. Probably 150k- ish to build a car to race for $1500-2k to win. But make it to the quarter finals and you get $400 at least that about covers the cost of going to the track for the day.
    Always someone willing to out spend everyone else and who will hire someone to do all the tuning for them. Yep...Money

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The difference between going 8’s and going 6’s is only, what, $100,000?

Well maybe not quite that bad but it is significant for sure.
    As an example we been running the same 654 cu in motor for about 10 yrs. We looked into swapping the rotating assembly and poke it and stroke it to a 720 cu in motor. The rotating assembly was going to be close to 5k which isn't horrible but the heads we have would have choked the bigger cubes. So add in the nearly 20k for new heads which requires a completely different valve train and would require another sheet metal intake at a cost of about 6k oh and then new bigger carbs because a pair of 1150cfm dominators would be like a restrictor plate and it was going to cost 33-35k. Then add in whatever it would cost to plumb and flow the nitrous onto said new sheet metal intake, probably 1500-2k and probably new headers because Ford, so yeah I/we are a special kind of stupid.

I have a friend who got a killer deal on a 585 cu in BBC and is having chassis work done and wants to run low 9's. I told him my best advice was get it certified to 8.50 and don't ever plan to go faster. The costs sky rocket from there and don't build a class specific car just run Super Pro and maybe an occasional heads up deal to have fun. We jumped into drag racing and built a car to certify to 7.50 in a heads up series and now we are a small fish in the ocean with limited places to go play

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well maybe not quite that bad but it is significant for sure.
    As an example we been running the same 654 cu in motor for about 10 yrs. We looked into swapping the rotating assembly and poke it and stroke it to a 720 cu in motor. The rotating assembly was going to be close to 5k which isn't horrible but the heads we have would have choked the bigger cubes. So add in the nearly 20k for new heads which requires a completely different valve train and would require another sheet metal intake at a cost of about 6k oh and then new bigger carbs because a pair of 1150cfm dominators would be like a restrictor plate and it was going to cost 33-35k. Then add in whatever it would cost to plumb and flow the nitrous onto said new sheet metal intake, probably 1500-2k and probably new headers because Ford, so yeah I/we are a special kind of stupid.

I have a friend who got a killer deal on a 585 cu in BBC and is having chassis work done and wants to run low 9's. I told him my best advice was get it certified to 8.50 and don't ever plan to go faster. The costs sky rocket from there and don't build a class specific car just run Super Pro and maybe an occasional heads up deal to have fun. We jumped into drag racing and built a car to certify to 7.50 in a heads up series and now we are a small fish in the ocean with limited places to go play

Sound advice. Your friend should easily dip into the 8's with as well thought out package with that pushing it. We did it with 496 CI's and using our heads.
    My favorite response when friends/family would ask if we were making any money racing.
    "No but we sure do spend some"

If you avg out an entire season as to fuel for the car/tow rig/scooters etc. Maint for both as in oil, plugs, tires, and minor parts you keep on hand. Then Food, Entry fee's. Paying for the family to get into the pits and the occasional shirt/hat one of them wants. Heaven forbid you ventilate an engine or any other major component. Then add in the 2nd car and rig. And subtract any moneys you may have won if you did.
    Then turn the cars around over the winter.

Never show the spouse the totals.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom