Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, I know it is an Olds. Different beast for sure.

My son has a 96 Impala S/S that was just north of 110K on the clock. He wants to do something to the drive train.
    We have been discussing an LS 6.0 swap. We both know people pulling them out of trucks with 175K + on them and dropping directly into a car after a basic clean up and an oil change. They make good power and seem to run forever.

A friends son put one in his 78 G body and hung a Turbo on it. Did nothing to the engine except clean it up and change the oil and injectors. Played with plug heat and that thing did the drag week thing part way (Work) and ran in the high 9's all the time. He wants to pull it for a re-fresh and a cam swap.

Again GM has built a dominant small block.

I like what The Pentastar has done with their performance packages in the charger's etc. I love the look as it is as close to being Retro as any of them. Not looking to own one but they are pleasing to the eyes. Rode in a Hellcat and another of the packages offered. A retired friend Jockeys cars for the local stealerships. When he gets a neat one he calls me and we go for a blast. These cars ****ing fly. They rip/turn/stop and make me want to giggle like a little girl. All of them.

But like Tchicken said.....I want to build my own cool ****. For the money these new age muscle cars bring I can have a sweet old school and really stand out for local LEO's when I mat the skinny peddle.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    CM
    Many years ago I wanted to put a 500 Caddie into a G body I assume a LS would be easier?

I recently spotted a 80,s something Buick G body it looked new 4 door for I think 1500 makes me think?

My wife would kill me no more projects till I finish the Cyclone!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM
    Many years ago I wanted to put a 500 Caddie into a G body I assume a LS would be easier?

I recently spotted a 80,s something Buick G body it looked new 4 door for I think 1500 makes me think?

My wife would kill me no more projects till I finish the Cyclone!

The 500 Caddy is a neat big cube torque maker. My Uncles would swap Caddy's into their cars when I was a kid. They were the faster over head valve offering over the Olds engines. 49 Olds business coupe with a 3 duece Caddy in it. 1st car I ever drove. Well, steered, I was sitting in my uncles lap so I could see.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The 500 Caddy is a neat big cube torque maker. My Uncles would swap Caddy's into their cars when I was a kid. They were the faster over head valve offering over the Olds engines. 49 Olds business coupe with a 3 duece Caddy in it. 1st car I ever drove. Well, steered, I was sitting in my uncles lap so I could see.

Geez CM... I'm betting we got some intermingled blood lines somewhere.
    My dad dropped the big Caddy into mom's 1967 Country Squire wagon after the 390 puked.
    Dad loved cars and had no limits on his imagination... or sense.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I posted this a while back. 7's on a stock 5.3 block.

Fastest Stock Bottom End 5.3 In The World Goes 7.81

The 5.3 in question is a junkyard-sourced L33 that hasn’t had a lot done to it. The owner, Jon Capizzi, who owns and operates Capizzi Automotive, claims that it has slightly worked over stock 799 casting heads and it’s obviously sporting a decent sized cam from the guys over at Baker Engineering.
    The engine regularly sees speeds above 8,000 rpm. Yes, you read that right. 8,000 rpm on stock pistons, rings, rods, rod bolts, bearings and gaskets. All of this on a hydraulic roller setup with LS7 lifters no less. Even the rockers are stock, albeit with Brian Tooley Racing trunnion upgrades.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In for pics of Impala though

I do not have any current pics. PhotoBucket took that from me.

Here is a pic of my Impala.......
    VWc3J7O.jpg

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Been working on the Truck getting it ready to bring down to TN for the Fall Rod Run, in fact I blew through Indy around 10:00 AM this morning headed to Pigeon Forge.

Yesterday I got my first header burn from the truck. Good to have that out of the way.

Bd7KKuN.jpg
    [/IMG]

Edit: Sorry for the huge pic. Still trying to figure out Imgur

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Currently having issues with the electronic speedo signal sending unit.

I have two sending units.
    1) B&M TC lockup controller
    2) Autometer 2 wire sending unit for the speedo.

The B&M unit comes with a 4-6 inch cable that connects to transmission. The B&M sending unit connects to the short cable and the cable that runs to speedo connects to the other side. That means it has an in and an out.

So when I hooked up the Autometer sending unit to the B&M sending unit I used the kit that came with it. There is no cable, its just a female by female fitting with a 1.75 in piece of cable (speedo sensor key) that has been pressed square on both ends.

I installed it last week and calibrated it like the instructions said. It worked but would bounce 10-15 mph at times.

So saturday the truck is on jack stands and I'm under it trying to solve the issue. I discovered there is a binding issue between the sending units. The Speedo sensor key wasn't designed to go between the sensors. When tightened up it brings the sending units too close together and causes the Sepedo Sensor Key to bind.

This issue caused the short cable to strip out the speedometer gear where the cable goes in the center and is welded / melted to the gear.

Im ordering new parts to fix it but I will be using the gps for the weekend cruising.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Does anyone pay attention to speed limits any more?

We had thought about Pigeon Forge this year but decided against it. We drove thru on our way to Panama City this spring and it appears they have some type of rod run almost every weekend as there were plenty of cars still there from the past weekend. I think that might be a good starting point if you were looking to buy a new toy.

Hmmm. . .. . . . .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does anyone pay attention to speed limits any more?

We had thought about Pigeon Forge this year but decided against it. We drove thru on our way to Panama City this spring and it appears they have some type of rod run almost every weekend as there were plenty of cars still there from the past weekend. I think that might be a good starting point if you were looking to buy a new toy.

Hmmm. . .. . . . .

I hear the gears meshing in your brain drive.....:):

After seeing that white 64 2 door post car I was inclined to sell the drop top and go find another car.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom