• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Started swapping over some of the year-specific parts from the old engine to the new one. Waiting on exhaust bolts from Amazon and some gaskets and hoses from Autozone. Hoping to set the new engine Saturday and spend the next month putting it back together. :faint:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Started swapping over some of the year-specific parts from the old engine to the new one. Waiting on exhaust bolts from Amazon and some gaskets and hoses from Autozone. Hoping to set the new engine Saturday and spend the next month putting it back together. :faint:

You have come far young padowan. We are most proud.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some things you need to be careful with. I was very careful with the oil pan gasket. Went over the surface thoroughly. New gasket. Torque’d it down in two stages. Probably overkill but I didn’t want to risk it leaking. That would SUCK.

Torqued it down in two stages?? You coulda just ran them down with a 3/8 air ratchet or 3/8 impact and called it a good job. Torque spec on pan bolts is like a 1/4 turn before they break. <- pretend I used purple. Seriously may or may not have done that many times. You just have to know your tool of choice and know when to let off the trigger. Still isn't ideal but it works

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Torqued it down in two stages?? You coulda just ran them down with a 3/8 air ratchet or 3/8 impact and called it a good job. Torque spec on pan bolts is like a 1/4 turn before they break. <- pretend I used purple. Seriously may or may not have done that many times. You just have to know your tool of choice and know when to let off the trigger. Still isn't ideal but it works

I would absolutely bust out the battery impact if I was in a time crunch or didn’t care, but I’d really rather not have to take it out again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would absolutely bust out the battery impact if I was in a time crunch or didn’t care, but I’d really rather not have to take it out again.

Is that an ally pan or stamped steel. I should know but do not. I think it is a cast pan. I have 2 LS series engines but my son does the oil changes and I have not actually looked at the OP's in a while.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom