• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Poncho is a Chev. Nova in Poncho trim. Uni-body.

My Biscayne was just south of 4K race ready.

The Tbird weighed in @ 3250-3300 race ready when we first built it. Back then the only fiberglass on the car was the hood & deck lid. But it had factory floor pan, steel sheetmetal & tubs, power windows and all the lights worked (including turn signals. We had done a good amout of weight removal too.

Do you think the ponch is as light as a fox body? I just figured the ponch (nova) was probably a little longer wheel base and would be more comparable to the Tbird or a Cougar based on size. Those steel doors are heavy. When we removed the factory doors and went to fiberglass doors we dropped over 100lbs. Also does the nova/poncho have a bolt in front crossmember or is it a solid subframe like a camero?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I would have to bet that ponvh weighs more than 3100-3200. I would bet closer to 3800-4000lbs with full interior, heater etc.

No sir. The scale won’t lie whenever I get there, but all the research I’ve done on the Ventura tells me around the 3200 ballpark. This guy’s 3110 with no body/interior modifications, a massive Poncho engine, and a half tank of gas. Only lightweight items I can see are header mufflers, and the Draglites.

1971 Pontiac LeMans And 1972 Pontiac Ventura - Hot Rod Network

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No sir. The scale won’t lie whenever I get there, but all the research I’ve done on the Ventura tells me around the 3200 ballpark. This guy’s 3110 with no body/interior modifications, a massive Poncho engine, and a half tank of gas. Only lightweight items I can see are header mufflers, and the Draglites.

1971 Pontiac LeMans And 1972 Pontiac Ventura - Hot Rod Network

Ahha! I see where you are coming from. You are looking at curb weight. I have been talking about race ready with driver. The Ventura in the article was 3110 curb but a tickle over 3300 with the meat in the seat.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Ahha! I see where you are coming from. You are looking at curb weight. I have been talking about race ready with driver. The Ventura in the article was 3110 curb but a tickle over 3300 with the meat in the seat.

And an engine that’s probly 50-100lbs heavier than a SBC, and a half a tank of gas. Either way, that’s well below a 3800lb car.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And an engine that’s probly 50-100lbs heavier than a SBC, and a half a tank of gas. Either way, that’s well below a 3800lb car.

Yeah it will be a lot lighter than the 3800 I was guessing. But, in my defense I thought it was a full frame car. So the car itself will weight 3200-3250, plus your weight. Never met you so I am guessing prolly 185-200lbs? That will put it somewhere @ 3400 give or take a few pounds race ready. It will still be a fun car for sure. I'm not knocking it at all

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yeah it will be a lot lighter than the 3800 I was guessing. But, in my defense I thought it was a full frame car. So the car itself will weight 3200-3250, plus your weight. Never met you so I am guessing prolly 185-200lbs? That will put it somewhere @ 3400 give or take a few pounds race ready. It will still be a fun car for sure. I'm not knocking it at all

No not at all! I need all those drag racing pointers from people with knowledge. Power-to-weight and the gearing tells me it has lots of potential. Just gotta figure out how to cut a good 60ft.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No not at all! I need all those drag racing pointers from people with knowledge. Power-to-weight and the gearing tells me it has lots of potential. Just gotta figure out how to cut a good 60ft.

Getting a car to leave well on leaf springs takes some practice. Traction bars help in a big way. But, I noticed the ventura in the article had mono leaf rear suspension. With the mono leaf you could set the traction bars so they are engaged pretty much all the time. Since a mono leaf would use a coil over to handle the shock/spring work. The only thing the leaf is really doing is locating the rear end. At least that would be my logic. Many years ago we had a late model stock car that we ran mono leafs on and that was the basic principle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Leaf spring wrap up is what the bars are controlling. Slapper bars work very well on mono leaf set ups. They struggle on multis.
    Cal-Tracs are the ticket with multiple leaf set ups.
    On a mono you can achieve pinion angle on launch. Harder to do on a multiple and an angle shim is required. This is really dusting off the archives in the old section of the hard drive.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom