churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tend to agree

Me too. That is insane money. The cars are insane but the looks etc are just not what this old redneck will go for.
    I did spend 5 years working on the GTP (SCCA) cars for Hendricks and they were a hoot to be around. But even if I had insane mega millions lotto money I would not have one.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One thing I learned long ago.....I am so much faster than I am good. That is why being a dead ender is my game. Line up.....go as fast as you can in a pre-measured distance......slow way down and turn left (or right) once...:):

I can live with that. Go fast turn left is fun too. But from my experience its more time consuming and costs mega $$ to play at the level I would want

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well, got the bolt problem straightened out. Couldn't get the old one out so I ended up going the heli coil route. It's not perfect but it'll work so I'm now ready to start putting it back together. Hopefully I'll be driving it tomorrow. Sure have missed it!:rockwoot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Different cars two years apart. They engineered to beat the GT and did, chances are decent that there will be role reversal next year unless GM anticipates and adapts. That's the name of the game when the big boys get together. I want to try and hit Sebring in the near future, don't know if I can quite make it 24 hours but 12 shouldn't be a problem.

The Chevy and Ford were both showroom spec cars with no unique performance enhancements. However, the $119,995 ZR1 was equipped with its optional $2,995 ZTK Performance Package, which includes sticky summer-only tires, a downforce-producing aero kit and a track-focused suspension tune.

The feat is doubly (or quadruply?) impressive considering the GT costs $450,000. The Corvette also left the $845,000 Porsche 918 Spyder and every Dodge Viper, Porsche 911, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. that’s been to the track in the wake created by its enormous rear wing.

Yep, but look at the price differences noted in the article. If that is accurate, that is pretty interesting.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, got the bolt problem straightened out. Couldn't get the old one out so I ended up going the heli coil route. It's not perfect but it'll work so I'm now ready to start putting it back together. Hopefully I'll be driving it tomorrow. Sure have missed it!:rockwoot:

Sometimes it doesn't have to be perfect to make it work. You got it to where you can put a bolt in it and make it functional

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep, but look at the price differences noted in the article. If that is accurate, that is pretty interesting.

The price for any of them is outrageous. However, it would depend on several variables. Did they have to model new body panels or were they able to use something already produced for road racing? Also noticed in the article the 'vette was on 'summer only super sticky tires' were the other cars on the same tire? That can be a game changer. It all factors into the performance and costs

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sometimes it doesn't have to be perfect to make it work. You got it to where you can put a bolt in it and make it functional

I have at 1 time put 2 threaded inserts in a 4 bolt main small block chevy for the head bolts. Not sure how they were stripped as I got the block at a swap meet and did not even see the issue until I was putting the head studs in the block. It was a standard bore 350 with near zero taper. 4 bolt mains and in seriously great shape.
    Needless to say I was Pissed off at a very high level. I took it to a friend and we put the inserts in the deck. Left them a bit tall and then decked the block. The only way you could tell is the difference in the color of the metals. It worked and even sealed. No water leaks.

There are any number of ways to fix any number of issues.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The original engine we had the the Tbird was a similar experience. We decided to swap out the intake for a taller/better intake and discovered every intake bolt except 1 had cross threaded/ boogered up threads in the heads. We drilled and heli coiled all the bolt holes. It was good as new.

Unfortunately, I have used heli coils to fix many problems. It can be aggregating but if done properly it will give you years of good service.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The original engine we had the the Tbird was a similar experience. We decided to swap out the intake for a taller/better intake and discovered every intake bolt except 1 had cross threaded/ boogered up threads in the heads. We drilled and heli coiled all the bolt holes. It was good as new.

Unfortunately, I have used heli coils to fix many problems. It can be aggregating but if done properly it will give you years of good service.

Time serts were what we used to repair the stripped head bolt holes. I have (or have had) several sets of Heli-coils that cover a range of operator idiocy. Me being the operator in question of course.
    I have never stripped out a head bolt.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Time serts were what we used to repair the stripped head bolt holes. I have (or have had) several sets of Heli-coils that cover a range of operator idiocy. Me being the operator in question of course.
    I have never stripped out a head bolt.

Oh yeah I have "started" bolts and destroyed threads with an impact or air ratchet and then had to fix it plenty of times. But likewise I have never stripped out a head bolt

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom