• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have really thought about all this discussion. New versus old school.

I have come up with this. I can not enjoy someone elses work. I might respect it. I might smile when I see it run or look it over. Respect.
    Me, I can not wait to tear into what ever it is I have that is a wanna be Hot Rod crying out for my attention.
    Rip off the exhaust and header it up. Manifold, ignition, gears, clutch, traction enhancements you name it. Once I have found the extreme limits of the package I either sell it to start anew of pull the bullet out and get deep in its internals. That marks phase 2.
    Sometimes there is a phase 3. This phase is pushing everything to the limit. Then I sell it and start anew.

I could never do this with a factory hot rod. On some of these phase 3 is the next step and the expense on top of owning the car is out of reach. There is just no way to justify -CM- engineering a $50K car. It is just out of the question.

Now finding a $3K 65 Biscayne roller and pumping $25 K into it somehow seems OK.
    When I am done it is all me. Everytime I ring the guts out of it, it answers the call willingly, performs to my expectations, I am pleased. Very pleased. All is right with my world for a brief moment.

When I rode in that Hellcat, drove the insanely fast Corvette, got pushed back in the seat in a Ken Brown Mustang.....yes that was almost orgasmic. But it was not fulfilling. Fun, dangerous, light speed blur fast on the street.....Hell yes. But it was not something I put together.

I can understand. As someone who used to work at KB's, I test drove some fun cars that my hands had put together. Sometimes it sucked having to hand them back over to the owners knowing they most likely would never understand what went into putting it all together.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    It has been several years since he has, but my dad used to get sent to SEMA every year. He was obligated to visit certain vendors and a couple seminars but the rest of the week was his. He always talked about how big the show was and just how much stuff was there. I'm looking forward to PRI in Dec.

What kind of work do you do at C&R?

Tecnhical sales... Helping co-develop custom radiators and other stuff, pretty much anything you can cool with aluminum.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can understand. As someone who used to work at KB's, I test drove some fun cars that my hands had put together. Sometimes it sucked having to hand them back over to the owners knowing they most likely would never understand what went into putting it all together.

Never worked that end of the passion for a living. Built and maintained real race cars but only drove a couple of those. What a visceral experience they were.
    I probably would have a rough time turning over the keys.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Well, truck made it's first real trip. Some issues. First off is the driveshaft is too long. When going over bumps it bottoms out the rear slip and pushes the front shaft into the trans. No biggie, we'll shorten the front piece another inch. Second problem is hte rear diff isn't 100% square with the frame. With the locker, gear changes makes the ass end want to kick sideways especially in the rain. Lastly the rear springs are done. We're bottoming out on the rear bumpstops with JUST a flip kit and a c-notch. So I'd say these may have been heated.

But other than that.... it's good. Gear ratios with th 4.10 rear end is PERFECT. and 5th is amazing to cruise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, truck made it's first real trip. Some issues. First off is the driveshaft is too long. When going over bumps it bottoms out the rear slip and pushes the front shaft into the trans. No biggie, we'll shorten the front piece another inch. Second problem is hte rear diff isn't 100% square with the frame. With the locker, gear changes makes the ass end want to kick sideways especially in the rain. Lastly the rear springs are done. We're bottoming out on the rear bumpstops with JUST a flip kit and a c-notch. So I'd say these may have been heated.

But other than that.... it's good. Gear ratios with th 4.10 rear end is PERFECT. and 5th is amazing to cruise.

You put a for real locker in it..........."DRIFTING"...........:woot:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    inexpensive, easy to install. And unlike an LSD if I get a wheel up and it spins hard I dont' have to worry about it grenading. It takes a little getting used to but I think it works well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    inexpensive, easy to install. And unlike an LSD if I get a wheel up and it spins hard I dont' have to worry about it grenading. It takes a little getting used to but I think it works well.

That is interesting.
    The Auburn Pro that I ran in a few street cars was stupid aggressive. It scared me once on a dry street. Attempting to bust out into traffic from a gas station and it did what it was supposed to do when you put some juice to it. It pushed the skinny front runners straight ahead regardless of steering input. It took a second for it to unlock and let the car turn.
    I never did that again.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is interesting.
    The Auburn Pro that I ran in a few street cars was stupid aggressive. It scared me once on a dry street. Attempting to bust out into traffic from a gas station and it did what it was supposed to do when you put some juice to it. It pushed the skinny front runners straight ahead regardless of steering input. It took a second for it to unlock and let the car turn.
    I never did that again.

Sounds like it got your attention in a hurry

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is for BigTanker.
    This is what my son is re-assembling. It lost a piece of a valve. 350K on it. This is in a "Big" rotator. One of the wreckers that come and get the big trucks when the break/crash/go off bridges etc.

K2avcfh.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is for BigTanker.
    This is what my son is re-assembling. It lost a piece of a valve. 350K on it. This is in a "Big" rotator. One of the wreckers that come and get the big trucks when the break/crash/go off bridges etc.

K2avcfh.jpg

That's an ISX. What year is it? I know they had issues with a cam lobe or two disappearing in a matter of a few thousand miles. I'd also recommend replacing the crank dampener and balancer. They go bad about 500k and can cause more issues. But with it all tore apart, might as well change them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's an ISX. What year is it? I know they had issues with a cam lobe or two disappearing in a matter of a few thousand miles. I'd also recommend replacing the crank dampener and balancer. They go bad about 500k and can cause more issues. But with it all tore apart, might as well change them.

I will pass that along.
    These trucks are brutes and they get beat up pretty good.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom