• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    What's your opinion of it? I see the price has come down even further and am interested in an unbiased review.

Sorry I didn't see this until just now.
    I am blown away, and kicking myself for not getting one sooner. There is a bit of cleanup/smell/etc. But for me, being an artist, it's not anything really out of the ordinary.
    Slicing and placement are a bit different than fdm. The suction forces can make prints fail badly, and often times the logical orientation (from an fdm perspective) is not always the best. damn near 90% of the time you're having to angle and support models.

For the past week I've begun experimenting with mixing colors... Really going out there sorta crazy like using fluorescents, glow in the dark powders, and even some acrylic paints with metalflake in them... mostly just to see what is possible. And I am quite surprised what I can get away with lol.

The elegoo mars is the new hot ticket apparently. It uses the same board as the photon, but sort of unproven thus far in terms of longevity.
    The photon has come down to match the pricing almost... I think they are at $279 direct from anycubic now?
    The Photon S has dual z rods (That I'm not sure help a whole lot) & more powerful UV light. But I don't have any issues with either of my photons (Oh, I forgot to add I found a used one for sale in FB marketplace for $120 so I bought it).

The downside is the lcd screen is considered a consumable. Currently $40. I bought a spare just in case. Some people report them going bad as soon as 6 months with heavy use.

For anyone not bothered by small prints at high details, and can put up with the smell & cleanup work It's a no-brainer.
    I'm printing some amazeballs minis... Even mix in a little flex resin to make them less brittle and less chance to break

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    HELLLLOOOOOO... There's that kinda empty house echo in here, what'd everybody do pack up and move?

Been watching a lot of YouTube 3D printer review videos and almost had myself talked into a Two Trees Sapphire Pro Core XY, when the youngest offspring made a snide comment about there already being more printers here than currently used. Now I'm beginning to wonder, did he present a valid point for not buying another one?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Tried printing a bunch of stuff for my d&d group but it would get 30 min in and fail on several diff models.

I think I need to format my sh card and try again but I've been super busy.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've been printing quite a lot... mostly resin.
    With photobucket down, I don't really upload pics to host sights, but let me see if I can fix that...

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I don't have pics of everything, but you can always check RobbyMaQ on thingiverse to see what models I've posted (usually nothing terribly fancy).

Resin Print & painted:
    Duck02.jpg

One of a bunch of slatwall tool holders I designed:
    slatwall.jpg

Test for a Siding Block Exterior Light mount (which was later painted):
    SidingBlock01.jpg

Advent Calendar my wife wanted for our grandson:
    tree02.jpg

Tree01.jpg

Recent Heater I modified, printed and built (from another photon user's original plans):
    PhotonHeater.jpg

Resin test print using Siraya Tech Blu:
    Lizard.jpg

The exterior shell is very smooth. The voxel texture seen is actually on the interior. Created during the hollowing process through 3d builder.

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The resin prints look good Robby and make me a bit jealous, but all my tinkering is in a back carpeted xtra bedroom and guess I'm just not ready to introduce the resin process into the house. Been slowly assembling a printer based on a few printrbot frame parts that have been accumulated just to stay busy. Also have a NIB Ender 5 for when the weather gets really blustery. You know how some people really enjoy printing and others enjoy tinkering with the printers...haven't decide which I am yet. Laser cut a bed sub frame to enable a heat plate over the linear rail on the Putzbot project.
    View attachment 82077

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The resin prints look good Robby and make me a bit jealous, but all my tinkering is in a back carpeted xtra bedroom and guess I'm just not ready to introduce the resin process into the house. Been slowly assembling a printer based on a few printrbot frame parts that have been accumulated just to stay busy. Also have a NIB Ender 5 for when the weather gets really blustery. You know how some people really enjoy printing and others enjoy tinkering with the printers...haven't decide which I am yet. Laser cut a bed sub frame to enable a heat plate over the linear rail on the Putzbot project.
    View attachment 82077

Nice! I really want a laser cutter

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The Siding Block? With my first house, I swear you could buy a ton of them... this last stint I didn't find any, and they were 30$ online. I just chose to Design & 3d print my own instead. I put the tinkercad link in all my thingiverse designs in case anyone needs to adjust (In this case, siding in relation to the block (or vice versa)).

AirplaneGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've had my printer a couple years now. After working through all the toys, printer upgrades and a very special Han Solo blaster for another guy as a Halloween prop I'm gonna start looking at how things can hold up with my guns.

I printed a AA battery magazine that feeds like a rifle and uses a standard Pmag 30rd spring for tension. I think the next step is an official AR-15 magazine to test.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Very cool! Good to see some new peeps in this 'making' thread. Post up your progress/pics gang! Even if it's just calibration cubes... we've all been there. Lots to learn and try!

I've been tinkering with mixing dyes and such in resins... even managed to make a fluorescent brown just for fun! But my latest is messing with tinting and painting clear resins prints...

EQt9S9vVAAE_L8g.jpg

EQv-hn4X0AE6cnN.jpg

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    View attachment 84172

Found the effort last week to finally put this together with direct drive and X axis linear rail conversion, now it sets on a table yet to be powered up and I'm not sure why. Don't know if it's the mild winter or 3D burnout, but haven't printed anything recently just to be printing. However have made a couple of recent 3D printed visual pinball accessories that I'm pleased with.

IMAhobbyist

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    View attachment 84172

Found the effort last week to finally put this together with direct drive and X axis linear rail conversion, now it sets on a table yet to be powered up and I'm not sure why. Don't know if it's the mild winter or 3D burnout, but haven't printed anything recently just to be printing. However have made a couple of recent 3D printed visual pinball accessories that I'm pleased with.

IMAhobbyist

You need to get printing with that! I've been kicking around the idea of a core xy and I am curious what the ender 5 is all about.
    championship of the world... no pressure! :D

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Here is a picture of my Prusa mk3s that's awaiting for a couple new sensors and the rest of the polycarbonate hot end pieces...its currently sitting in my built enclosure that's still a work in progress...hopefully I'll be back to printing next week some time...

20200221_194545_zpslglkxe3w.jpg

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    You need to get printing with that! I've been kicking around the idea of a core xy and I am curious what the ender 5 is all about.
    championship of the world... no pressure! :D

The 4 (out of production) was XY, but not the 5. Considered a TwoTrees XY, then read they struggle with circular motion when compared, so I backed away. Powered this up today after adding hot end LED illumination, then got distracted by the sound of the mail truck and any hope of a productive afternoon was forgotten as I spent the remainder of my day staring at a FRDM kl-25z realizing I was again in over my head.

Top Bottom