• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    So, I see that Jermiah Johnson will be on the AMC Channel soon, so my thoughts are what would the new Mountain Man rifle be? I guess we could go two firearms, since ole Jermiah had two. Tell me your thoughts and why you would choose what firearm and what caliber.

Thanks.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My choices would be a 12 ga pump (Rem 870 or Moss 500) with a 20" barrel and a Ruger Single-Six .22 revolver with a 6" barrel. Both weapons are rugged, reliable, and simple to operate. I'd have a large possibles bag stuffed with 12 ga slugs and shot and a few bricks of 22 LR ammo.
    With proper shot placement and stalking techniques, you'd be well fixed to drop any animal in North America.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    1911 as a mountain gun? I would think a revolver would be better since they'd really need no parts to replace.

I think for that kind of scenario I'd want guns with as few moving parts as I could get.

Maybe a bolt or lever action rifle hunting rifle and revolver in .44

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Revolver has few parts that you can SEE, but they are very complex little creatures. I think I would choose a Savage 24 in 30-30 and 12ga. (I think that's one of the combos) and a 4" S&W 29. Tough choice though, as a lever gun in either 30-30 or 45-70 screams mountain man to me. I guess if I was really going modern I would pick the Marlin 1895SBL and a Glock 20.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    With the big game animals that lurk in the mountains I'd want the power to put them down fast. A lever gun in 45-70 and a S&W 460 mag.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Mountain Men needed good equipment with the best change of getting them thought a tough winter. I would go with a double barreled shotgun with dual triggers and a over under in same ga as double barrel over .22. The most simple and less chance of failure.

If one side of the shotgun failed, I still have the other side.

The .22 should be the most used, and should be simple. We are talking survival not battle.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Ruger Frontier, 358 Winchester (308 only if I had no choice), NECG irons and a 2.75 Burris scout scope, McMillan Hunter's Edge stock, metal finished in NP3. Galco Safari Ching Sling. Would come in about 6.75 lbs loaded and ready to go.

Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 gauge, 18" with an assortment of choke tubes, five shot, single bead on the barrel, factory style synthetic stock, metal finished in NP3.

Weight - keep it low.

Maintenance, keep the firearm simple and easy to take down.

Iron sights, you need them.

Weather resistance. Wood and blued steel won't be your friend.

Both cartridges can be loaded down to the point of being a "plinker", providing little hide and meat damage - and use lead projectiles.

Both can be loaded up to the point of having enough energy to take down anything on this continent.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I guess you young fellers haven't seen the movie a hundred times or so.

He had, or acquired, three guns; Smaller caliber rifle, large caliber rifle and a handgun. Also, in the movie, he spent as much time fighting off his adversaries as he did feeding himself.

I'd say, to compliment the array of knives, traps and training he had, in the modern day, I would go with...

A scoped .308 bolt gun
    An AR, with all the modern day amenities
    Big bore handgun, ie 1911

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Marlin 1894 lever action in 44 mag...10 shots in under 30 seconds on target

Pick your favorite wheel gun of the same caliber

Large capacity 870 pump.....

My picks.....:):

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    For sheer reliability & size considerations, I'd say the large caliber rifle would have to be an AK-47 variant with a folding stock. There are lot's of modern mountain men right now in other parts of the world who carry them.

A large caliber revolver, probably a .44 magnum. A .357 would do & may be preferable due to being able to shoot .38 out of it.

a carbine sized .22LR rifle for small game.

I guess I'm all set then. :D

Top Bottom