ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought "the r-word" was "racist".

Oh, and my wife hates when I sing along, and use the original lyrics, with the Walmart back-to-school commercial using The Black Eyed Peas song, "Let's Get It Started."

I've been catching some TV shows that aired barely 10 years ago that still said "retarded". Makes me laugh... then makes me sad to see how fast this SJW nonsense happened.

I'm still pissed that Q95 took "******" out of Dire Straits "Money for Nothing"

Edit: .... Did someone just recently censor "******" on the forum? I thought it was uncensored... even like a month or two ago.

Edit2: Ah, nevermind, it's the abbreviated version that still works.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK, I get it... the word was moved to naughty step primarily from misuse. Probably not a bad thing.

Once it gained wide use in a derogatory fashion, as in, "you're retarded" or, "that's retarded" it was destined for the trash heap of words. You just can't have a word that serves as both an insult and as a neutral description of a person. (well, maybe "blonde")

What's the preferred replacement when referring to a person?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK, I get it... the word was moved to naughty step primarily from misuse. Probably not a bad thing.

Once it gained wide use in a derogatory fashion, as in, "you're retarded" or, "that's retarded" it was destined for the trash heap of words. You just can't have a word that serves as both an insult and as a neutral description of a person. (well, maybe "blonde")

A person who was described as "retarded"...in a non-derogatory way 20 years ago may be called cognitively disabled, developmentally disabled, cognitively impaired, developmentally impaired....

In a derogatory fashion, I've prefered "brainstem" for years....and the anencephalic community has yet to say a word about it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Sure you can.

Words evolve to take on new meanings all the time. Doesn't matter if it's innocent or insulting.

People calling situations and things "retarded" aren't thinking about the mental capacity of the thing.

People saying a situation is "lit" or "fire" aren't describing the temperature.

How about fam, woke, squad, shade, thirsty, savage, salty, bounce, dead... none of which use their literal meanings with millennial.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ironically I found this a few weeks ago while cleaning out the Heidelberg letterpress...

NgtsOFt.jpg

Nothing derogatory about it. Just hurt feels.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sure you can.

Words evolve to take on new meanings all the time. Doesn't matter if it's innocent or insulting.

People calling situations and things "retarded" aren't thinking about the mental capacity of the thing.

People saying a situation is "lit" or "fire" aren't describing the temperature.

How about fam, woke, squad, shade, thirsty, savage, salty, bounce, dead... none of which use their literal meanings with millennial.
    All of your examples aren't both derogatory and a descriptively neutral term applied to a person. Furthermore, most of them aren't even insulting (save salty).

So, you're merely describing that the meanings of words change; which this word geek already knows.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All of your examples aren't both derogatory and a descriptively neutral term applied to a person. Furthermore, most of them aren't even insulting (save salty).

So, you're merely describing that the meanings of words change; which this word geek already knows.

Right, just examples of words that don't mean what some take them to mean.

When I call the situation of being killed in Overwatch "****ing retarded"... I'm not insulting anyone. Not even the person that killed me. Hell, if anything, maybe I'm referring to myself for being so bad.

Isn't it your choice to take offense by the word? Or make it into something it isn't for the purpose of saying it isn't "okay"?

There are two ways to use it, I think. Obviously it's become a less-than-acceptable way to refer to someone with disabilities... and to refer to that sort of person in that way is a very ****ty thing to do.

Perhaps when it was retired from the "medical sense", it took on a new meaning and home in the other sense.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ironically I found this a few weeks ago while cleaning out the Heidelberg letterpress...
    That's not ironic, it's coincidental.

;)

Nothing derogatory about it. Just hurt feels.
    No, in that context it's purely a neutral descriptor.

The problem arose later on to it's zenith in the 80's, when it just became a pejorative term.

My guess, is that some people used "retarded" as a kid to insult others, then they grew up, had a daughter with mental issues that would be described in 1968 as retarded. Thus, the problem - this word carries a certain visceral meaning to them that they find offensive.

While "retarded" may be an accurate and historical description to some, it's offensive to some, even those that aren't SJW. And there's plenty of other descriptors that are perfectly valid. Personally, this is something I need to prove I'm right about, so I'm fine with avoiding the word in general. :twocents:

On the other hand, if make its use as a descriptor of people archaic, well, maybe we can allow its new definition, as we do for both "dumb" and "stupid".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Rather than banning words, how about dealing with the *******s?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On the other hand, if make its use as a descriptor of people archaic, well, maybe we can allow its new definition, as we do for both "dumb" and "stupid".

You're not far off on that... There exist a non-zero number of people that think those words that we find so innocent, like dumb and stupid, are "ableist slurs"... to which I say, "that's retarded."

Calling something dumb and stupid is so tame... and I think "retarded" should be just as acceptable on that same level... but it's being singled out.

I bet there was a time that "dumb" and "stupid" was considered something sensitive to say out loud.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

A buddy of mine is married to a well known thoroughbred trainer...They had a horse running in the Derby and he invited his buddy John Fagget to come to the backside of the track...He said he would meet at the entrance and bring him back...He see's him in the crowd and begins yelling "JOHN!!!" and of course there are many named John and his buddy wasn't responding...He cringed and yelled "FAGGET!!!!" Glares all around....He said he had to yell it a couple of times before his buddy finally heard him...He said they got glares all day...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's not ironic, it's coincidental.

;)

No, in that context it's purely a neutral descriptor.

The problem arose later on to it's zenith in the 80's, when it just became a pejorative term.

My guess, is that some people used "retarded" as a kid to insult others, then they grew up, had a daughter with mental issues that would be described in 1968 as retarded. Thus, the problem - this word carries a certain visceral meaning to them that they find offensive.

While "retarded" may be an accurate and historical description to some, it's offensive to some, even those that aren't SJW. And there's plenty of other descriptors that are perfectly valid. Personally, this is something I need to prove I'm right about, so I'm fine with avoiding the word in general. :twocents:

There’s nothing wrong with the word. The thing that’s wrong is people using it to disparage people with special needs. Banning words is retarded.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    A buddy of mine is married to a well known thoroughbred trainer...They had a horse running in the Derby and he invited his buddy John Fagget to come to the backside of the track...He said he would meet at the entrance and bring him back...He see's him in the crowd and begins yelling "JOHN!!!" and of course there are many named John and his buddy wasn't responding...He cringed and yelled "FAGGET!!!!" Glares all around....He said he had to yell it a couple of times before his buddy finally heard him...He said they got glares all day...

What a bundle of sticks...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom