• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was just thinking about something that irritated me back in the late 1980s.

When I moved to California to attend graduate school at UC Berkeley (yes, I did it and yes, I am ashamed), I kept hearing and reading the phrase "socially responsible." When I would ask for a definition, the reaction tended to be disbelief that I wasn't intuitively aware of what "socially responsible" meant.

Later I realized I didn't understand because I did not share their collective socio-political ideology. At the time I was puzzled because I was unaware of anyone's status that would bestow upon them the power to determine what was socially responsible and what was socially irresponsible. Again, that separated me from the collective. Now it irritates me that those proto-SJWs were already creating meaningless phrases and applying their own retarded definitions to them. In their minds, they determined social responsibility by definition. What they said it was, it was. Which, even then, was poop.

Things have not gotten better.

UC Berkley huh?:wrongdoor:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    White threat in a browning America - Vox (archive link)

Piece from Vox EIC and JournoList founder Ezra Klein. Vox clearly trying to justify racism, social lustice, "diversity" narratives, etc... using deterministic "right side of history" predictions of how whites are destined to become a minority and why it's a 'good thing.'

Makes sure to namedrop GamerGate.

As we navigate these sensitivities, we can do so with more or less care. Richeson believes it would be wise for demographers to stop using terms like “majority-minority America” — after all, whites will still be a plurality, and what good can come of framing America’s trajectory in a way that leaves the single largest group feeling maximally threatened? It sounds like “a force of nonwhite people who are coming and they are working as a coalition to overturn white people and whiteness,” Richeson said, laughing. “That’s a problem!”

Richeson’s research shows that if you can add reassurance to discussions of demographic change — telling people, for instance, that the shifts are unlikely to upend existing power or economic arrangements — the sense of threat, and the tilt toward racial and political conservatism, vanishes. The problem, she admits, is, “we can’t say, ‘Don’t worry, white people, you’ll be okay and you’ll get to run everything forever!’”

The other problem is that the conversation about, and the experience of, a browning America will not be driven by demographers and social psychologists; it will be driven by ambitious politicians looking for an edge, by political pundits looking for ratings, by outrageous stories going viral on social media, by cultural controversies like Gamergate and Roseanne Barr getting fired.

Then this, shortly after...

Perhaps that’s the answer. But imagine that at the national level, attempted by the first female president, with a polarized media looking for conflict. Many would celebrate it. Others would see discrimination, threat, loss. Think back to Limbaugh saying, “How do you get promoted in a Barack Obama administration? By hating white people.” Think of Jordan Peterson labeling Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s efforts to promote gender equality a “murderous equity doctrine.”

The world is not zero-sum, but it is sometimes zero-sum. A world in which 50 percent of government appointees are female is a world in which fewer are male. Those losses will be felt, and fought. Powerful social movements will arise to protect what is being taken, to justify the way things were before. The quickest path toward social calm would be to leave these inequities untouched, but even if that were desirable — and it’s not — it will be impossible as historically marginalized groups gain the power to demand their share of the American dream.

As we navigate these sensitivities, we can do so with more or less care. Richeson believes it would be wise for demographers to stop using terms like “majority-minority America” — after all, whites will still be a plurality, and what good can come of framing America’s trajectory in a way that leaves the single largest group feeling maximally threatened? It sounds like “a force of nonwhite people who are coming and they are working as a coalition to overturn white people and whiteness,” Richeson said, laughing. “That’s a problem!”

Richeson’s research shows that if you can add reassurance to discussions of demographic change — telling people, for instance, that the shifts are unlikely to upend existing power or economic arrangements — the sense of threat, and the tilt toward racial and political conservatism, vanishes. The problem, she admits, is, “we can’t say, ‘Don’t worry, white people, you’ll be okay and you’ll get to run everything forever!”

Klein tries to downplay the angle and attempt to reframe the whole narrative into "we won't take your X away", instead comes across as "I'm not saying it's inevitable... but get used to it. What are you, a conservative bigot?"

Not even a random contributor or intern... but the guy running a media outlet.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also... white people and their...

*rolls 5d20*
    *cross-references DM guide*

Mowed lawns.

DjhMYlpXoAAM6z1.jpg:small

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would have thought more of it if the cast of the Roseanne show had done one supporting her....I have a jaded view of Hollywood regarding this subject...I saw the film which never really got properly promoted "An Open Secret" so I have a cynical view....It's a good flick and you can see why it wasn't promoted...Free on youtube I think...

Oh we've definitely talked about the dark and probably gross underbelly of Hollywood around here... and I agree there's probably a lot we don't know, a lot of very illegal things that go on.

This specific example, however... feels like an unfair and inaccurate attack. As we've seen in this thread, these people are getting dragged for old comments or, importantly, jokes. Good jokes, bad jokes, tasteless jokes... yes... but jokes nonetheless. Just as a good Holocaust joke doesn't make Norm McDonald a Nazi, and a decent child molestation joke doesn't make Sarah Silverman a pedophile... James Gunn's dumb joke doesn't make him anything either.

There are actual pedo situations in the entertainment industry (check out one of the creators of Ren & Stimpy...), lot of "grooming" issues popping up.

Anyway... like I said, it's just a picture, and I'm wasting too much time on it. To your point, here's a Hollywood rape joke :)

2z5cmk0obhd11.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    UC Berkley huh?:wrongdoor:

I'm SORRY!

I've got a good friend who went there...he is sooooo proud of his alma mater.

I often wish I'd made a different choice for grad school. I believe that the stresses of trying to adapt to that environment plus the eventual realization of the mistake I had made (WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE?!?) contributed significantly to my failure to complete my PhD. Had I accepted one of the offers closer to home in a culture more amenable to Americans, it is far more likely that I'd be "Doctor Rhino" right now.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I think that meme would be a little more powerful if it said “the government” instead of “the British”.

Yeah, 'cause most of the Americans were technically British at the time.

Honestly I think it would be better if it said "Government" because chances are a lot if not most Americans today have no idea that their ancestors were in fact British. (Talking about Americans in general).

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Honestly I think it would be better if it said "Government" because chances are a lot if not most Americans today have no idea that their ancestors were in fact British. (Talking about Americans in general).
    No English blood coursing through these Slavic veins.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh we've definitely talked about the dark and probably gross underbelly of Hollywood around here... and I agree there's probably a lot we don't know, a lot of very illegal things that go on.

This specific example, however... feels like an unfair and inaccurate attack. As we've seen in this thread, these people are getting dragged for old comments or, importantly, jokes. Good jokes, bad jokes, tasteless jokes... yes... but jokes nonetheless. Just as a good Holocaust joke doesn't make Norm McDonald a Nazi, and a decent child molestation joke doesn't make Sarah Silverman a pedophile... James Gunn's dumb joke doesn't make him anything either.

There are actual pedo situations in the entertainment industry (check out one of the creators of Ren & Stimpy...), lot of "grooming" issues popping up.

Anyway... like I said, it's just a picture, and I'm wasting too much time on it. To your point, here's a Hollywood rape joke :)

2z5cmk0obhd11.jpg

I hadn't even thought of the date rape detector straw.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom