Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Haven't followed him lately, but apparently Carl Benjamin (Sargon of Akkad) is running for member of European Parliament. Lot of hit-pieces followed, and Reddit has quarantined his sub.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I need INGO’s help with a cultural collision. Denver progressive bubble vs Midwest individualism. My wife, during a conversation with her sister who lives in Denver, addressed her as “you people”, referring to Democrats. Well, that really triggered her. I mean, like in the most “Denver” progressive educated/elitist class accent, she says, “Really? I can’t believe you ****ing said that right now.”

Okay. I try to keep up with cultural differences So what is socially wrong with “you people”? I honestly don’t get that. It must mean something WAY different out there than it does in Indiana. Here, saying “you people” is the social equivalent to saying ”you guys” (except it’s gender neutral), or in the South, “y’all”. It’s just a way to refer to the people you’re addressing.

Any ideas? The **** does “you people” mean out there in bat****opia?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to see some examples of existing games that would have been censored under this rule.

It's really a dumb rule... boils down to "SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" and "must protect wamen"

For the first one: What's the job of ratings systems like the ESRB and CERO? Let them handle it. Second one is just stupid virtue signaling. Women like games, too, and they didn't ask to be protected.

I'm very happy to see Nintendo, of all people, have begun to shy away from the "family friendly" mantra and start allowing more adult-themed games on their systems.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    One of the many hallmarks of liberalism is the seeming randomness of "triggers" for outrage. One has to consider that many of that mindset are actively seeking reasons to be offended. So, words, phrases, and language the average person uses in general conversation will be intentionally pulled out of context as an excuse for outrage. It is simply a mechanism for the offended person to control the conversation, nothing more. Control is THE most important thing.

I suspect that the conversation wasn't exactly comfortable in the first place. Latching on to something completely ancillary to distract from the topic is a great way to regain control of the conversation. Throw in some mock outrage, and your wife is suddenly playing defense.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I find myself much happier just not talking or listening to those people at all. Another reason I don't watch Tv.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Co-worker asked in our meeting this morning (small group), off-topic, if we had any opinions on how she should handle the YMCA downtown allowing huge men into the women's locker rooms.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    GTA5 comes to mind.
    I don't remember much actually that bad in that one.

Witcher2 or 3 had some sex cut-scenes as I remember. Seems like a couple of others may have as well.

If they want sex cut out, I don't know if that would bother me all that much.

If they get all SJW on the way women are portrayed in a game, that will get me to find another platform to use for games in the future.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Co-worker asked in our meeting this morning (small group), off-topic, if we had any opinions on how she should handle the YMCA downtown allowing huge men into the women's locker rooms.

What? She doesn't sound very tolerant. She should get some inclusivity training.

Quit and go somewhere else. Be sure to tell them why

Sounds transphobic to me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What? She doesn't sound very tolerant. She should get some inclusivity training.

Sounds transphobic to me.
    kick-the-can.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

This is why a lot of people are leaving the Democratic Party. They’re on the Northwest quadrant of that graph above and I think they seem to be allying along the opposite axis.

Krugman, the author of that article where the graph appears, was trying to use it to say the progressives are winning because Republicans moved left on the economic axis. Those aren’t traditional Republicans. Those are more likely the people who might have voted for a democrat if a sane one were running. And picking a guy like Trump says a lot about the extent of the crazy in the Democratic Party. 12% of Bernie voters voted for Trump. 13% of people who voted for Obama in 2008 voted for Trump.

Democrats are in such an opaque bubble they can’t see through it to perceive reality. Democrats should fear that scatter plot.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I need INGO’s help with a cultural collision. Denver progressive bubble vs Midwest individualism. My wife, during a conversation with her sister who lives in Denver, addressed her as “you people”, referring to Democrats. Well, that really triggered her. I mean, like in the most “Denver” progressive educated/elitist class accent, she says, “Really? I can’t believe you ****ing said that right now.”

Okay. I try to keep up with cultural differences So what is socially wrong with “you people”? I honestly don’t get that. It must mean something WAY different out there than it does in Indiana. Here, saying “you people” is the social equivalent to saying ”you guys” (except it’s gender neutral), or in the South, “y’all”. It’s just a way to refer to the people you’re addressing.

I've only heard it criticized when used to refer to ethnic minorities

Does your SIL perhaps identify as an oppressed person, as did Rachel Dolezal?

ETA:Strategy? When you got nothing, find something trivial to be offended about?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Because that puts HER in a group. She thinks of OTHER people being grouped and judgements made of.
    Not the other way around.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

What KLB said.
    When they have to start closing doors, they MIGHT rethink it.
    If not, well someone can buy the building cheap, and start over.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've only heard it criticized when used to refer to ethnic minorities

Does your SIL perhaps identify as an oppressed person, as did Rachel Dolezal?

ETA:Strategy? When you got nothing, find something trivial to be offended about?

I’ve known for a couple of years or so that she has a problem with it. I’ve said it to her before. I said something like, “you people ready for dinner yet?” And all she said was “You people?” I didn’t think anything of it. Then my wife said she kinda went ape**** on her for saying it recently. So I suspect it’s a socially banned phrase where she lives.

Because that puts HER in a group. She thinks of OTHER people being grouped and judgements made of.
    Not the other way around.
    This kinda makes sense for why it’s not PC. I think I might dare go there next time we visit.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I’ve known for a couple of years or so that she has a problem with it. I’ve said it to her before. I said something like, “you people ready for dinner yet?” And all she said was “You people?” I didn’t think anything of it. Then my wife said she kinda went ape**** on her for saying it recently. So I suspect it’s a socially banned phrase where she lives.

This kinda makes sense for why it’s not PC. I think I might dare go there next time we visit.

Dude! Really?

I KNOW I would!!!:draw::stickpoke::p:boxing:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom