jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You ever heard someone say "black people don't tip?"

I've heard it said. But is it true? I don't know. I've never been a tip worker, so I've never had the opportunity to take a sample.

And if it's true, is it because of race? People can turn a lot of things into opportunities for racism. Doesn't make those things related to racism.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    tenor.gif

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Nothing? As in there's nothing related from either side of the issue i.e. patron v server?

I suspect you may be alluding to something I'm not catching, but I will say:

I tip generously for competent, quality service, and the server can be purple. In this regard, at least, I am truly color blind. And if I leave $15 or 20 on a $50 tab, I don't believe I've met the first server of any kind, or any color, that would want to trade that for $20 per hour. The people spouting this garbage have obviously never earned a living as a server earning tips, or they tried to, but didn't work hard at it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I tip generously for competent, quality service, and the server can be purple. In this regard, at least, I am truly color blind. And if I leave $15 or 20 on a $50 tab, I don't believe I've met the first server of any kind, or any color, that would want to trade that for $20 per hour. The people spouting this garbage have obviously never earned a living as a server earning tips, or they tried to, but didn't work hard at it.

How do you tip for subpar service?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    How do you tip for subpar service?

Less than for competent service. If it's really bad, maybe half. I don't believe I've ever totally stiffed a server. I did walk out of an Applebees one time, when our food was brought out to the table, and they had no silverware for us to eat it with, because the dishwasher didn't show up. The manager was running all over the restaurant apologising to people, as they sat and watched their food get cold, instead of going to the back and washing some damn silverware. Even then, I paid the bartender handsomely; she made a mean margarita!

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe I have low standards or something, but I don't think I've ever encountered such bad service that I didn't leave a tip. If it's reasonable service, I generally go with the standard. If it's exceptional, I'll tip pretty good.

But, there are some things I won't tip at all for. Like, if I'm going through a drive through window, I don't tip that. Like getting ice cream at Greater's. The receipt has a place for tips, and I'm like, nah. Just can't justify it. It's expensive enough ice cream as it is. I'm not paying $6 for a milk shake plus another $1.20 on top of that. They're good but they ain't THAT good.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe I have low standards or something, but I don't think I've ever encountered such bad service that I didn't leave a tip. If it's reasonable service, I generally go with the standard. If it's exceptional, I'll tip pretty good.

But, there are some things I won't tip at all for. Like, if I'm going through a drive through window, I don't tip that. Like getting ice cream at Greater's. The receipt has a place for tips, and I'm like, nah. Just can't justify it. It's expensive enough ice cream as it is. I'm not paying $6 for a milk shake plus another $1.20 on top of that. They're good but they ain't THAT good.

. . . because you're a racist. Oh, wait. If tipping is racist, then everyone who tips is racist and everyone who doesn't tip is not racist. So you, Jamil, are not racist when you go to the drive through, but you are racist when you're at a sit-down restaurant.

[video=youtube;0u8teXR8VE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8teXR8VE4[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lucky you, Jamil.

I've left two pennies to point out how crappy they were. And I'm always very VERY aware of whats going on and how it could be somebody else's fault. I wont fault the server because my medium rare was delivered well done. Or that the kitchen is running behind. But if you take 10 mins to even show up to the table, then insist that the complex order doesnt need to be written down because you are a pro resulting in half the orders being wrong, disappearing until time to deliver everything at once including soup and salad with the entree, then only returning to drop off the check (no refills, no "is everything as ordered?"), you get what you deserve. I am very observant and notice if the server is oversubscribed and running like a madman/woman vs only showing their face to help us in a relatively quiet restaurant. I refuse to hold it against an overworked server.

Excellent service is 20% MINIMUM from me. I dont do 15%. (besides, the maths are easier in your head) Go above and beyond on a small order and I've been known to leave a 100% tip. ($20 bill for a $10 order) Half-ass it and you get 15%. NO-ass it and you get nothing. SHOW your ass and you get something offensively low.

Oh, and if you think you will be clever and add a 15% gratuity to our bill, sorry for your loss. I'll pay whatever you insist, even if its less than I would have.

And dont get me started on the companies that "helped" us and preprinted bogus, inflated tip suggestions on the receipt. There was a story a while ago about several restaurants that would fudge the numbers to benefit their servers:

Grand total: $100
    ----------
    Tip calculations
    15% = $18
    20% = $25
    etc
    :xmad:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The .gov assumes a minimum of 8% in tips for tax purposes.

Not sure if it's still true, but we used to pay tax on 8% of our gross sales or what was reported on credit card slips. Whichever was greater. Save your server $. Tip with cash.

Oh and as for the racist crap, if you receive good service in a place where the wait staff makes less than $3 an hour and pays tax the way I just described and you don't tip at least 15%, you're a cheap bastard, regardless of color. GTF over yourself.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I leave something similar with some cash when I can, separate from my bill sans-tip. (or tucked into the check presenter)
    tip_and_gift_like_a_libertarian_business_card-r9d3527c599d84634825a130bcaefd880_i579t_8byvr_512.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not sure if it's still true, but we used to pay tax on 8% of our gross sales or what was reported on credit card slips. Whichever was greater. Save your server $. Tip with cash.

Oh and as for the racist crap, if you receive good service in a place where the wait staff makes less than $3 an hour and pays tax the way I just described and you don't tip at least 15%, you're a cheap bastard, regardless of color. GTF over yourself.
    I prefer tipping in cash. Sometimes that’s not a convenient option though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I leave something similar with some cash when I can, separate from my bill sans-tip. (or tucked into the check presenter)
    tip_and_gift_like_a_libertarian_business_card-r9d3527c599d84634825a130bcaefd880_i579t_8byvr_512.jpg

While this might be a nice thought, as a former server and bartender with 20 years in restaurant business, I can say with near certainty that no server that gets one of these will do anything different with it, compared to any other tip they receive.

Servers will report the bare minimum required by law, and unless they absolutely suck, they will almost always collect more than needed to surpass the minimum.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While this might be a nice thought, as a former server and bartender with 20 years in restaurant business, I can say with near certainty that no server that gets one of these will do anything different with it, compared to any other tip they receive.

Servers will report the bare minimum required by law, and unless they absolutely suck, they will almost always collect more than needed to surpass the minimum.

Correct. This particular tool is used to help educate and recruit those who are not familiar with the Libertarian party.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom