• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Had a doubly interesting experience with the better 2/3's this week, part man made and part God made technology.

Earlier this week I finishes rereading a fun scifi romp for cat people, A Beautiful Friendship. It takes place in a future period of colonizing the galaxy, on a planet with huge six legged several meters long black haired critters called hexapumas being one of the top tier predators. The humorous closing scenes of the novel have a hexapuma being involved in a bad guy receiving his just deserves. OK, on to the tech stuff.

The morning after I finished the novel we're working on breakfast and the better 2/3's tells me about the strange dream she had that night. In the dream she was in her F150 and a black puma tall enough that its head was even with her window walked up and looked in at her.
    She hardly ever ever ever remembers her dreams. I just finished a book with a giant black puma and voila', she dreams about one. Certainly not the first time we've experienced such connections but I still marvel whenever I see it. That's God made, something He built into us.

And then comes the man made tech. Within a day of her telling me about the puma, I gets an email about Puma clothing on sale. Yep, the phone was sitting on the kitchen counter while we were talking so a machine somewhere processed "puma" in a manner appropriate to its programming.

Hope yall have a great weekend.
    Facebook on your phone, welcome to Mark Zuckerburg's world.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don’t have Facebook on my phone. But things like that happen often enough. Ads for things I talk about out loud but don’t google start showing up. Not so much by email, but ads I see on web pages.

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I think AWS has way too much power and that it's a mistake to build out everything to run in AWS.
    I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "power." There's choices, though. AWS is not the only business in town and while they may have the biggest market share, Microsoft and Google aren't rat dogs nipping at the big dog's heels; they have a fantastic infrastructure and tried-and-true services they provide, too.

Of course, it's all highly situational. Some of my services are cloud hosted and I know I can get better performance if they were host on-prem, but I don't have the option.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "power." There's choices, though. AWS is not the only business in town and while they may have the biggest market share, Microsoft and Google aren't rat dogs nipping at the big dog's heels; they have a fantastic infrastructure and tried-and-true services they provide, too.

Of course, it's all highly situational. Some of my services are cloud hosted and I know I can get better performance if they were host on-prem, but I don't have the option.
    Look at what they did to Parler.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Of course there are other players. AWS is king. But really, deploying everything you have in AWS or some other cloud infrastructure is very attractive for all the reasons I've mentioned in this thread. But, it's not like you can move all your AWS gateways, EKS, ECS, load balancers, lambdas, RDS instances, S3 buckets, glacier, SQS, Kinesis streams, or whatever, overnight. There is a high degree of technology lock-in. So, let's say the Woke Twiteratti discovers that someone who is now socially ostricized used your platform 3 years ago and that now your business is literally Hitler, and AWS decides to shut you down. You're ****ed.

Not that it's all that likely to happen. But Parler got ****ed. And as we're learning more facts about that AWS was not honest about what they were accusing Parler of.

But even besides the admittedly unlikelihood of getting politically parler'd, these companies do wield some Hobsonian power in a sort of take it or leave it sort of way. And once you've decided to take it, I'm sure they understand how difficult it is to leave it. But. It's just so damn good it's hard not to do it. I think if I were a startup SAAS company I'd probably do it all in AWS. And then NEVER use social media personally. Amazon has shown itself willing to shut a business down for political reasons.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Of course there are other players. AWS is king. But really, deploying everything you have in AWS or some other cloud infrastructure is very attractive for all the reasons I've mentioned in this thread. But, it's not like you can move all your AWS gateways, EKS, ECS, load balancers, lambdas, RDS instances, S3 buckets, glacier, SQS, Kinesis streams, or whatever, overnight. There is a high degree of technology lock-in. So, let's say the Woke Twiteratti discovers that someone who is now socially ostricized used your platform 3 years ago and that now your business is literally Hitler, and AWS decides to shut you down. You're ****ed.

Not that it's all that likely to happen. But Parler got ****ed. And as we're learning more facts about that AWS was not honest about what they were accusing Parler of.

But even besides the admittedly unlikelihood of getting politically parler'd, these companies do wield some Hobsonian power in a sort of take it or leave it sort of way. And once you've decided to take it, I'm sure they understand how difficult it is to leave it. But. It's just so damn good it's hard not to do it. I think if I were a startup SAAS company I'd probably do it all in AWS. And then NEVER use social media personally. Amazon has shown itself willing to shut a business down for political reasons.
    I have little doubt that Google would do so as well. MS MAY not, but I wouldn't count on it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Let's see. The article kept locking up on my computer.
    But, when they made the claim that the storms were likely climate change fueled.....
    Also, power companies are a bit worried about idiots that don't open breakers and feed power to the main, harming there linemen.
    And, all the hand wringing over people still don't have power. I want to choke the reporter. Get off his ass and go down there and do some work then. Maybe see how much work is involved. I swear the human race is one major disaster away from dying off because people don't know how to exist without electricity or Big Brother Government.

To me, the article seems written by someone that never left their desk... EVER.

@IndyDave1776

Dang.
    You reacted to a post from 2017?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    XPO Logistics Inc. (NYSE: XPO), which is headquartered in Connecticut and has multiple locations throughout Indiana, has already begun hiring for a variety of positions at the Clayton facility.

I wonder if you can get a job standing on your head. They did say "many positions"

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    Anyone here familiar with app deployment? In this case, Microsoft Azure Intune. I have an EXE a vendor provided that I've been trying to package in many ways for deployment and nothing's taking. I'm quickly reaching my deadline.

This isn't my first rodeo with app deployment, but the way the vendor authored this program is it installs the current user's APPDATA folder and self-updates from there. If it were a normal program, I'm sure I'd be well off. Though I can deploy it with SCCM without issue, so maybe it's a limitation of this stupid cloud-based platform.

I've tried packaging it as an IntuneWin file (which normally works with Microsoft's Content Prep Tool), used an EXE-to-MSI packager, and a random powershell script I found that copies the file locally, then runs it.

Users do not have local admin rights to their machines and I'd rather not give it to them, even if temporarily.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well had a critical hardware failure on my Main system/gaming rig.

It seems that my enclosed liquid cooling system has magically ran low on coolant, with no option of a fill port on the radiator.

So I'm using the late Mrs. IBM's computer. Going to be looking for a in home repair service because I'm in no shape to try and carry my tower in to a shop, and plus the fact I still have issues from my mini stroke with laft hand finger control.

What sucks is I thought I was prepared for a anything if it happened, and I was not.
    When I got this for the late Mrs. IBM she opted for a slower system, and I now realize just how slow this turd it. Hopefully I can find someone and get a new liquid chip cooling system installed asap and be back up and running full speed.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well had a critical hardware failure on my Main system/gaming rig.

It seems that my enclosed liquid cooling system has magically ran low on coolant, with no option of a fill port on the radiator.

So I'm using the late Mrs. IBM's computer. Going to be looking for a in home repair service because I'm in no shape to try and carry my tower in to a shop, and plus the fact I still have issues from my mini stroke with laft hand finger control.

What sucks is I thought I was prepared for a anything if it happened, and I was not.
    When I got this for the late Mrs. IBM she opted for a slower system, and I now realize just how slow this turd it. Hopefully I can find someone and get a new liquid chip cooling system installed asap and be back up and running full speed.
    I just happened to see a demo on this the other day. https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=4063&language=en
    I'm guessing it would have let you know if it was low as well as preventing leaks. I've never taken a dive into liquid cooling, always stuck with air but it's been forever since I built anything high performance.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I just happened to see a demo on this the other day. https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=4063&language=en
    I'm guessing it would have let you know if it was low as well as preventing leaks. I've never taken a dive into liquid cooling, always stuck with air but it's been forever since I built anything high performance

My system was a closed loop system, and I would have had to splice it in.

Luckily I have someone who will be picking up my system tomorrow and installing a oversized traditional heat sink/cooler.

Should have it back by 5pm tomorrow.
    Since my computer is almost 6 years old, I'm going to look into having a new one built, one thing I will have is one of the larger external tanks with a fill port and instead of a 3.5 inch SSD, I'll go with a 2TB NVME2 SSD chipset.

Top Bottom