• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The worst day on OS X is still better than the best day running Windows

Edit: But I miss coverflow so much that I might hack Mojave to restore it. Waiting to see which way they're gonna go with .15

I dunno... The new Mac Pro comes with 8-core Xeon, 32GB memory, 256GB SSD... and starts at $6000.

Aside from that picture of fruit on the case, I'm not sure what people are paying for with that. Is an operating system worth the extra $4500?

Edit:

Like, I don't see how they can still get away with this sort of thing. Just seems more like wealth-signaling, like a designer brand.

D8KNMYLWkAAWPhk.jpg:small

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Talking operating system

You don't have to spring for a corvette to get an LT1, you don't have to spring for top of the line to enjoy Mojave (but you do have to spring for a Mac)

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Apple is killing iTunes. I'm sure all your digitally-rented goods will be safe

I understand your point and don't leave any of my digital property under other's control, but this very misleading. Apple is simply killing an ancient piece of software (18 years) and replacing it with three new ones (Music/TV/Podcasts). No digital media access will be lost. Previous purchases will be honored.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The FCC has given phone companies a green light to switch on robocall blocking technologies by default. The move could curb scams and unwelcome interruptions, but there’s also no requirement these services be provided for free.

So, keep a close eye on your phone bill.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I dunno... The new Mac Pro comes with 8-core Xeon, 32GB memory, 256GB SSD... and starts at $6000.

Aside from that picture of fruit on the case, I'm not sure what people are paying for with that. Is an operating system worth the extra $4500?

Edit:

Like, I don't see how they can still get away with this sort of thing. Just seems more like wealth-signaling, like a designer brand.

Must admit, I was out of the loop. I thought it was just a 'printcrafted' image

Can't believe they have so little marketing sense, SMH

Maybe they don't really want to be in the accessory business, like when a contractor who doesn't want a job just gives you a ridiculous quote

Waiting for them to claim because; tariffs

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Edit:

People who do heavy graphics editing use macs a lot. Also, os x is a great operating system for programming if you’re not doing .NET. Macs have been about the same price point just about since they switched to Intel. You pay from $1k to about $3k for MacBook Pro. And yeah, if you get the desktop jacked you can pay 6k.

But. Tim Cook is an idiot. For example, he thinks MacBook users want ultra thin **** at the expense of ports. And they haven’t had hardware worth the price in several years. I’m not a Mac workstation user but I imagine they’ve been treating them like **** too.

So basically, Mac users have always had to pay the Apple tax, but it used to be worth it. I’m hearing some pretty good things about this year’s MacBook Pro, so maybe that might be more worth it than previous years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I understand your point and don't leave any of my digital property under other's control, but this very misleading. Apple is simply killing an ancient piece of software (18 years) and replacing it with three new ones (Music/TV/Podcasts). No digital media access will be lost. Previous purchases will be honored.

4 apps. They’re going to have a mooovie app too.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also, os x is a great operating system for programming if you’re not doing .NET.

I beg to differ.

Oh, I still haven't forgiven Apple for the days in 2008 & 2009 where I had to design a car radio with iPod compatibility - biggest, most pretentious a**holes, and not one model worked the way they said it would.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I beg to differ.

Oh, I still haven't forgiven Apple for the days in 2008 & 2009 where I had to design a car radio with iPod compatibility - biggest, most pretentious a**holes, and not one model worked the way they said it would.

I’m not saying Cocoa is great. But if you’re programming for deployment on a *nix system it’s a great platform to program on. BTW, it’s my understanding that Apple CarPlay kinda solves the problem you described, but I imagine it’s costly.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I’m not saying Cocoa is great. But if you’re programming for deployment on a *nix system it’s a great platform to program on. BTW, it’s my understanding that Apple CarPlay kinda solves the problem you described, but I imagine it’s costly.

This was back before Bluetooth was common - iPods still had the 30 pin connector.

And I don't do *nix programming (well, except this current project), it's all embedded, mostly Arm Cortex. So Apple still sucks.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    People who do heavy graphics editing use macs a lot. Also, os x is a great operating system for programming if you’re not doing .NET. Macs have been about the same price point just about since they switched to Intel. You pay from $1k to about $3k for MacBook Pro. And yeah, if you get the desktop jacked you can pay 6k.

But. Tim Cook is an idiot. For example, he thinks MacBook users want ultra thin **** at the expense of ports. And they haven’t had hardware worth the price in several years. I’m not a Mac workstation user but I imagine they’ve been treating them like **** too.

So basically, Mac users have always had to pay the Apple tax, but it used to be worth it. I’m hearing some pretty good things about this year’s MacBook Pro, so maybe that might be more worth it than previous years.
    Apple is great for those that want to treat their computer as an appliance and never venture outside the Apple walled garden but there is nothing superior about their hardware at this point. I will give a nod to OS X but it only has an advantage because it is designed and optimized for the specific hardware that Apple builds. This can be done when your hardware pool is small. Many Windows difficulties/issues are a side effect of being available for nearly any hardware combination.

Anything that can be done with a powerful Mac can be done with a powerful windows computer so long as comparable software exists.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

If you know anybody who is really making music and/or processing audio in a serious way, go see what they're running. I'll bet it's over 85% OSX. It's not a cult thing it's an ease of use thing. A great deal of creative software is crippled by being ported to Gate's stuff. It's not just that it doesn't work the same, it's actually more difficult and frustrating to use and in some cases doesn't work at all

See: Pro Tools

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you know anybody who is really making music and/or processing audio in a serious way, go see what they're running. I'll bet it's over 85% OSX. It's not a cult thing it's an ease of use thing. A great deal of creative software is crippled by being ported to Gate's stuff. It's not just that it doesn't work the same, it's actually more difficult and frustrating to use and in some cases doesn't work at all

See: Pro Tools

Crippled? :rolleyes:

More like, "85% of our customers use Macs, so why should we bother making a good Windows port?"

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Funny, things written to run on Gate's junk run fine on OS X (like Orifice). But by all means, let's blame the porting to the OS. Couldn't possibly that the OS is a kluge

Top Bottom