• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think it'd be hilarious if you still had to program the games before playing them... like the ones they included in the user manuals.

You did that too, huh?

Every month a new magazine would come in, every month I'd type in one of the programs... then quit in frustration when I couldn't find the error. :xmad:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You did that too, huh?

Every month a new magazine would come in, every month I'd type in one of the programs... then quit in frustration when I couldn't find the error. :xmad:

Heh, not me... I wasn't born yet. Just see a lot of videos on it, seems really interesting... the evolution of putting programs on cassette tapes, etc.

Saw that they even "released" programs over the radio... like you could record the sound of it when they did it... and play back that sound into the computer to load a program. That's amazing to me.

Another cool thing... people are still making modern games for these old systems. There are still Atari, Commodore, NES, SNES games being made and released.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Man, I remember doing that exercise. :)

Used another conditional set and random number generator to have the computer guess, too. Then see if I could do it quicker.

That also then led to different sorting strategies.

I didn't have a comadore 64, I had an atari 800XL. I remember keying in a graphical skiing game. Was so excited I didn't think about what happens when I power off the machine. Took over an hour to key all that in. Played it for hours. Then it died in a millisecond. When I turned it off, immediately I said, "oh ****."

I saved up and bought a tape drive, re-keyed in the program and saved it. I have no idea why that stupid ski game was that much fun.

I coded a sobriety tester on it. It would present a random word of a given length and you had to type it in with no mistakes as it times you. So you do it a few times when you're sober to set the baseline average. So then you start drinking and see how long it takes you to type it in. The problem was that some people don't type at the same speed so it kinda flopped when my friends played it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Heh, not me... I wasn't born yet. Just see a lot of videos on it, seems really interesting... the evolution of putting programs on cassette tapes, etc.

I did that with the TI 99/4a. Thought it was totally cool not to be limited to the onboard RAM.

Oh, also, if you like retro PC stuff, I had one of these in ... 1998, I think it was. It was pretty awesome. Had no idea about the astronaut connection.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Datalink

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Super Bunnyhop takes a look at the German Games Museum, and discusses the difficulties of gaming in East Germany during the Cold War.

[video=youtube;b7xndvitLa8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7xndvitLa8[/video]

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I found one of my old computer mags from around 1984 or so. It brought back some memories. What was worse than trying to find your error was when the game just wasn't any fun. I had a TRS80 and a C64.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Starwars Battlefront beta.

On a side note, servers for the original Battlefront 2 are back up on PC.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is an actual Gamestop ad.

**** this ****.

Do not pre-order anything.

Don't enable them. Don't let them know that holding content hostage is okay.

DLulWh1WkAAx_EC.jpg:small

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Battlefield betas was entertaining to me for an hour. Flight controls were garbage. Would not have purchased anyway based on the fact that you had to oay 140 bucks for the whole game the first time they released a new battlefield The dlc stuff has gotten out of hand. Release half a game and charge 80 bucks in dlc to get the rest.

same goes for destiny. Wont buy the second.

This assassins creed nonsense is insane... .. . Gamer culture has been forever altered by pay to win and dlc. To bad.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I played World of Tanks PC for quite a while, but then I started played WoT Blitz on my phone, you can also play it on Steam. It's pretty fun, and the games are quicker with fewer players. I enjoy it. Look me up. Armed_Hoosier or mygunnerisdrunk

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is an actual Gamestop ad.

**** this ****.

Do not pre-order anything.

Don't enable them. Don't let them know that holding content hostage is okay.

DLulWh1WkAAx_EC.jpg:small
    They won't get me to buy for crap like that. They will just end up in the same category as COD, do not buy.

When they realized that idiots would pay for map packs, they ruined the game.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Game Maker's Toolkit - How Game Designers Protect Players From Themselves

Mark discusses how, rather than punishing players for playing a certain way, developers can find ways to incentivize the style of gameplay they intended.

[video=youtube;7L8vAGGitr8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8vAGGitr8[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They won't get me to buy for crap like that. They will just end up in the same category as COD, do not buy.

When they realized that idiots would pay for map packs, they ruined the game.
    So, now I have to loan them money to extra gameplay? :dunno:

GTA:O is starting to rub me the wrong way now. They keep releasing new content, which is good & fun, but everything is soooo expensive that it requires real $$$ or serious grinding to get it.

Worse still is the rampant modders.

I think I'm going back to Civ4.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That genre is called "incremental game". There are a ton of these. Similar to "clicker" games... mostly about watching numbers exponentially rise, and occasionally "prestiging" to reset it with bonuses.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Strong movement forming against in-game "loot boxes" right now... I guess some more big AAA games are abusing them, nickel-and-diming players after they've already paid the full $60 for the game.

Lot of the arguments I see take it too far, wanting the government to be involved, calling it "gambling".

I think there's a good middle-ground when it comes to loot boxes... They shouldn't make a game "pay-to-win". Should be purely cosmetic.

Top Bottom