The Funny Picture/Video Thread, 14th Edition: Ketchup Farts, Dog Sneezes and Misspelled Tattoos

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    V6IAdxF.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This picture suddenly made me feel old because it reminds me that I was there at the beginning of the drive-through revolution, at least in Indiana.

I’m sure various restaurants had drive-through over the years, but it really seem to kick off when I was in high school In the late 70s and every fastfood place suddenly had to have one.

In Bloomington on N. Walnut St. there is a McDonald’s. At least I assume there is still a McDonald’s there, I can’t imagine them giving up that location.

Anyway the McDonald’s that existed when I began my high school career did not have a drive-through. There was no room for it. So McDonald’s bought the lot next-door, and built an entirely new McDonald’s with, of course, the drive-through.

So there were two perfectly functional McDonald’s buildings side-by-side, one with, one without, drive-through. Then they shut down the old McDonald’s, moved the staff to the new one, and ripped down the old McDonald’s, which is the memory that came up when I saw that picture above. There was nothing really wrong with the old one either, It was not a clapped out wreck with old decor or anything, it just didn’t have room for a drive-through. It was actually a lesson to me on how businesses think about their markets and their capabilities.

I count that as the beginning of the drivethru revolution, when McDonald’s thought it was important enough to have a drive-through that they would do something of this scale.

it’s history that should be remembered.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This picture suddenly made me feel old because it reminds me that I was there at the beginning of the drive-through revolution, at least in Indiana.

I’m sure various restaurants had drive-through over the years, but it really seem to kick off when I was in high school In the late 70s and every fastfood place suddenly had to have one.

In Bloomington on N. Walnut St. there is a McDonald’s. At least I assume there is still a McDonald’s there, I can’t imagine them giving up that location.

Anyway the McDonald’s that existed when I began my high school career did not have a drive-through. There was no room for it. So McDonald’s bought the lot next-door, and built an entirely new McDonald’s with, of course, the drive-through.

So there were two perfectly functional McDonald’s buildings side-by-side, one with, one without, drive-through. Then they shut down the old McDonald’s, moved the staff to the new one, and ripped down the old McDonald’s, which is the memory that came up when I saw that picture above. There was nothing really wrong with the old one either, It was not a clapped out wreck with old decor or anything, it just didn’t have room for a drive-through. It was actually a lesson to me on how businesses think about their markets and their capabilities.

I count that as the beginning of the drivethru revolution, when McDonald’s thought it was important enough to have a drive-through that they would do something of this scale.

Drive through was 50% of sales so worth that move and now accounts for a whopping 80%, app sales are 20% higher than ordering at the counter with a human. No wonder they are pushing this….

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Speaking of old drive-ins - this is a drive-in in Texas in 1957. The tubes are cooled air piped in for your dining comfort.
    air-conditioning-1957.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom