kmamrbijnlu31.png

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I worked for people that rescued Grey Hounds. They spent thousands of dollars for joint replacements so the dogs could die of old age.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Don't you mean closed-cask?

:joke:

I'll see myself out...

Har har. Now be gone.

But seriously folks, I got interested in the relationship between the words "casket" and "cask" (yeah, I do that sometimes) and found out that Lord Nelson could not have had a closed-casket funeral, because...there were no funeral caskets when he died. Using the term "casket" for a box to be buried didn't happen until the mid 19th century (Nelson was killed in 1805), and it started in America largely with the Civil War (along with other American funerary practices). Some sources say "casket" was used by the funeral industry as a euphemism, but others point out (and I think more likely) that it first came about as a mark of respect for the dead, especially the Civil War dead. Up until that time a casket was a special box into which you put jewelry and valuables. And jewelry caskets are rectangular, ornamented, and lined with fine textiles. Look at American caskets versus European coffins -- American caskets are rectangular, Euro coffins are (generally) six-sided plus the lid, wider at the shoulders than the feet. In Nelson's time, most people were not even buried in coffins, because most people were poor. They were just wrapped in shrouds and dropped into the grave -- they might get a ride to the cemetery in multi-use coffin provided by the church, but they had to give it back. Nelson being a big shot got an actual coffin.

So it was a closed-coffin funeral.

Oh, and it appears "casket", a small box for jewels, might be the diminutive of "cask", which was a container for liquids, or a helmet, or a skull, depending on era, location, and context.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom