Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You need to change your avatar from terrorist/bond robber to cannibal.

silence_of_the_lambs_0.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That is not funny, I had a friend that had that happen with a male recruit while he was a pit safety. He fell on the kid to prorect him and got shrapnel in his leg.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I am going to kindly suggest that each recruit be given a tennis ball to see if they have the requisite coordination to actually throw something before being handed a live grenade.

Now, back in my day, we spent a fair amount of time throwing training grenades and grenades with practice fuzes before being handed a live one, but budgets being what they are...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I never threw a practice grenade at the range. Carried them on maneuvers, but only threw live ones at the range,

But what do I know I was just Regular Army Infantry.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

It is interesting to note that the range is poorly designed,

It has a trench sump on this side of the wall, requiring the thrower to toss the grenade several feet just to get it over the wall. This does provide safety if a grenade is dropped on this side, but can result in the mishap seen here with a weak thrower.

I was only at two grenade ranges while in. Both were designed so that you were right up against the wall and a weak throw would at least land on the other side of the wall.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I am really amazed that they aren't wearing helmets and vests. Seems like a no brainer. Must not be the US. We had a lot of training with grenades and always wore protective attire. We even did advanced MOUT training where you would pull the pin and release the spoon. Then wait three seconds (American grenades have a 5 second fuse) then throw it into a concrete room. The idea was that the grenade would rattle around for two seconds then explode not allowing defenders to throw or kick it back out at you. I may have counted a little fast as I am fond of my hands and other body parts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That girls throws about as well as I do. In the presidential physical fitness test in the 7th grade, I threw the softball 88 feet. That's feet, not yards, and that was my best of three. In the 9th grade, I failed to match my 7th grade performance. This illustrates why I was not among the better baseball players in little league. When can't run, throw, hit, or catch, your options for success in baseball are somewhat limited.

Point of the story: never rely on rhino to throw the hand grenade.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom