The Funny Pic Thread Part 13 - Clowns to the Left of me, jokers to the right, Welcome to DC!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Doesn't the Gyroscopic action precess the object at 90 degrees from the trajectory ... i.e. bring the back of the car around ?

All I know is with RWD the rear drops, or the front raises (however you like to visualize it) if you gun it maidair. Locking up the brakes raises the rear or drops the front.

This is from driving R/C cars.

I'd never jump a full sized car like that! :D

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    j6es2a7r9-Ff6-LEIZGmz-S3r-GYg-z-AQs-I7-E-SA0-MM-R8w.webp

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    All I know is with RWD the rear drops, or the front raises (however you like to visualize it) if you gun it maidair. Locking up the brakes raises the rear or drops the front.

I'm confused - once the tires are off the ground what effect would throttle or brakes have on the trajectory? Inertia quickly degrades to gravity with the principle variable being the angle of attack versus the weight distribution of the object determining how quickly it will rotate and drop.

Movies make it look like launched cars sail straight indefinitely but the moment the tires leave the ground all forward thrust ceases so speed and mass determines distance before rotation and its rarely more than a car-length.

As I recall, the practical stunt work necessary to launch the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazzard tv show involved 50k psi of compressed air and 1,000 pounds of ballast in the trunk to offset the forward biased center of gravity due to the engine. It was basically a super sized slingshot.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I'm confused - once the tires are off the ground what effect would throttle or brakes have on the trajectory? Inertia quickly degrades to gravity with the principle variable being the angle of attack versus the weight distribution of the object determining how quickly it will rotate and drop.

Movies make it look like launched cars sail straight indefinitely but the moment the tires leave the ground all forward thrust ceases so speed and mass determines distance before rotation and its rarely more than a car-length.

As I recall, the practical stunt work necessary to launch the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazzard tv show involved 50k psi of compressed air and 1,000 pounds of ballast in the trunk to offset the forward biased center of gravity due to the engine. It was basically a super sized slingshot.

Yeah I think most full-size Front-engine, RWD cars are front heavy so all that makes sense.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis

Making a SWAG here, but I'm thinking it involves transferring centripetal force into the car body from the wheels. I'm also guessing that transfer wouldn't be very big due to the acceleration from the wheels applied as reactive force (being relatively small) to the mass of the car (being relatively large). F=ma is pretty straightforward, but I never did like centripetal calculations.

iu

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Motocross racers do this all the time to adjust in-air attitude. Hit the gas to raise the front a little but you have to keep it revved up. If you let up on the gas too early or hit the brakes the front will go back down. You time it so it is right for the landing.

I really don't think this would work for crap with a heavy car.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Motocross racers do this all the time to adjust in-air attitude. Hit the gas to raise the front a little but you have to keep it revved up. If you let up on the gas too early or hit the brakes the front will go back down. You time it so it is right for the landing.

I really don't think this would work for crap with a heavy car.

You do the same with R/C car. You can backflip or frontflip the same way with enough vertical launch.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom