• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wife picked out the color. I wanted blue but we have always owned silver or blue cars. This is Ford Racing Red and it does look good.

Thinking about painting the wheels black to match the trim.
    Black might look good but that truck is begging for nice set of aftermarket wheels/tires. :)

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I don't understand all the hype. Looks a little smaller than I recall the originals. More like a Jeep Liberty or Renegade.
    Ford did things right - up to this point - with cars like the Mustang. Even the new E-Stang has the markings of the '64s. Dodge did a nice job of bringing back the Challenger look of old. Chevy screwed up with the new Camaro styling.

If these manufacturers are trying to cash in on retro look buyers, they better stay closer to the original look. Otherwise, it's just using an old, familiar name on a new vehicle.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I don't understand all the hype. Looks a little smaller than I recall the originals. More like a Jeep Liberty or Renegade.
    Ford did things right - up to this point - with cars like the Mustang. Even the new E-Stang has the markings of the '64s. Dodge did a nice job of bringing back the Challenger look of old. Chevy screwed up with the new Camaro styling.

If these manufacturers are trying to cash in on retro look buyers, they better stay closer to the original look. Otherwise, it's just using an old, familiar name on a new vehicle.
    You must not be recalling the originals...these are bigger than the original series.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Definitely bigger than the originals. Size is comparable to a new Wrangler, not liberty or renegade.

1636917140128.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

How old are you? Do you think OJ's Bronco was the original, because the actual original was itty-bitty.

The Bronco is about 5" wider than the Wrangler. Which one is longer depends on if you get the 2 door or 4 door, but they are very close on that measurement.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I don’t think this was supposed to appeal to retro buyers as much as it is about trying to take a good chunk of the jeep market. And it looks to me like they’ll do it. At least until Jeep can fix some of the things where the Bronco kicks their ass. I think they tried to answer every reason for Jeep shoppers to say, yeah, but Jeep does x better. Not many of those kinds of claims left.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    How old are you? Do you think OJ's Bronco was the original, because the actual original was itty-bitty.

The Bronco is about 5" wider than the Wrangler. Which one is longer depends on if you get the 2 door or 4 door, but they are very close on that measurement.
    I wondered that too. When you say F100 I think the 67-72 bodystyle. Camaro? The 67-69 first generation. I guess everything is based on your era or what you used to drive. Jeep? CJ5 from back in the day. John Deere? 20-series 64-72.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don’t think this was supposed to appeal to retro buyers as much as it is about trying to take a good chunk of the jeep market. And it looks to me like they’ll do it. At least until Jeep can fix some of the things where the Bronco kicks their ass. I think they tried to answer every reason for Jeep shoppers to say, yeah, but Jeep does x better. Not many of those kinds of claims left.

I suspect it's both. It is a much better ON road experience with the IFS and modern steering. Even the 4 cylinder felt stronger than the Jeep's 6 (the 10 speed transmission probably helps a lot), and the seats and seating position were better. The retro look to tap into Ford heritage and to set it apart from the jellybean shaped crossovers doesn't hurt in the slightest.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've told my neighbor that he should trade his '96 Bronco in on a new one.

Or his Corvette. His frame-off fully restored 1963 split-window coupe. Black on black, 4 spd, 327ci Corvette.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Starting to see Broncos out and about. Saw 2 on a lot and one while driving today.

Like a lot of 4wd vehicles these days, they must come standard with a kayak which seems odd in NWI in November. They look good for their purpose and my son thinks they are great.

Not for me, I'm a fuddy-duddy. I don't even particularly want my pickup to have 4wd.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I couldn’t imagine not having a 4x4 after having one for over 40 years. What don’t you like? Even the wife’s car is AWD.
    I just don't need it. Less maintenance, less complexity.

My current truck, a 2wd Silverado passed 220,000 miles yesterday, no engine problems, no transmission problems...no transfer case problems, no front axles, etc.. I just throw 600 lbs in bed in December and it gets me wherever I need to go. I only drive on road (and in the yard). It's just not something I need. I'm not against 4wd and it is certainly useful in many situations, but the snow has never kept me at home and it's just not worth it to me to spend more for it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Starting to see Broncos out and about. Saw 2 on a lot and one while driving today.

Like a lot of 4wd vehicles these days, they must come standard with a kayak which seems odd in NWI in November. They look good for their purpose and my son thinks they are great.

Not for me, I'm a fuddy-duddy. I don't even particularly want my pickup to have 4wd.
    I know what you mean, with four-wheel-drive you just have to walk that much further when you get stuck.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    I, too likes mechanically simple trucks. I used to have a 2006 Silverado with manual transmission and I liked it a lot. Alas GM appeared to be too good at saving money and they used a black plastic master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch. It snapped in half and stranded me on the 96th street bridge over I69. This new Bronco looks intriguing. If it has a build in trailer hitch rated for above 1,000 lb tongue weight then I may get one.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I, too likes mechanically simple trucks. I used to have a 2006 Silverado with manual transmission and I liked it a lot. Alas GM appeared to be too good at saving money and they used a black plastic master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch. It snapped in half and stranded me on the 96th street bridge over I69. This new Bronco looks intriguing. If it has a build in trailer hitch rated for above 1,000 lb tongue weight then I may get one.
    3500 max tow.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    1000lb tongue, that is 1 ton truck territory. Good luck with that

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just don't need it. Less maintenance, less complexity.

My current truck, a 2wd Silverado passed 220,000 miles yesterday, no engine problems, no transmission problems...no transfer case problems, no front axles, etc.. I just throw 600 lbs in bed in December and it gets me wherever I need to go. I only drive on road (and in the yard). It's just not something I need. I'm not against 4wd and it is certainly useful in many situations, but the snow has never kept me at home and it's just not worth it to me to spend more for it.

My Suburban has 210,000 have not had problems with those items on the list, just maintenance. It has been the electronic parts that kill me, rarely is it a hard part.

Recently going to a cabin on private land near Brown County I opened the gate, pulled in, went to back up and couldn’t. I had to go to 4wd to back up due to the steepness of the hill and I was on the drive/path. It has more uses than just snow driving.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My Suburban has 210,000 have not had problems with those items on the list, just maintenance. It has been the electronic parts that kill me, rarely is it a hard part.
    Sure. There are plenty of 4wd vehicles that are durable. Maybe my next truck will have it, but I don't need it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I know what you mean, with four-wheel-drive you just have to walk that much further when you get stuck.

I have lived that in my younger days. BTW, if the above is you, where are your tire chains? LOL. Chains turn a 4x4 into a bulldozer. Nowadays 4x4 gives me far superior traction and handling in bad conditions.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just looked at expected private party and trade-in values on my truck. In almost 10 years of ownership I've depreciated roughly $6500-$8000, depending. I've often made the argument here that if buying a non-luxury pickup or "real" SUV or Jeep, the "buy 3 years old so you don't eat the depreciation" common wisdom no longer really saves you much, if anything.

Even with that expectation, it's kind of nuts I've lost *at most* $800 a year in value to depreciation...but not as nuts as used Broncos are APPRECIATING right now. That won't last, but wow.

Top Bottom