• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    The WSSM rounds are very interesting to me, but they aren't practical. The 223 WSSM is a barrel burner. All the other WSSM's are also very rough on barrels from what I've read. The WSM's on the other hand are a lot of fun. I love my 300 WSM.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Thats funny ,for all the calibers I dont have thats listed Ive always wanted them ,just give me enough time. {{{eccept for the 45 gap}}}

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Wrong on a couple counts. 10mm has gained a LOT of popularity in the last decade and is fast becoming a mainstay, if still niche, caliber especially among handgun hunters who want to be able to use a reliable autoloader.

Also, overpenetration was not the issue for the FBI, recoil was. It took too much training for agents to qualify with it as it was way more recoil than they were used to with 9mms.

Recoil issues are not as bad as they were when it was first introduced. It's still a heavier recoiling round than most autoloaders but the main production gun for the 10mm round, the Glock 20, tames that recoil substantially.

My prediction is that within another decade, the 10mm will be about as popular a round as the .44magnum as far as gun and ammunition sales are concerned.

At the bottom of page 6, you will see where I said I stand corrected, apparently it has more of a following than I thought. As far as the F.B.I., I heard they were conducting tests on airplanes, and due to penetration of the airplanes body they couldn't use it. I do remember a sub sonic round that was on the market for law enforcement only for a while, but I am not sure what happend to it. It was supposed to be the answer for the over penetration, but smith and wesson started developing the .40 and the 10mm died off from the law enforcement community.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I love the H&H belted case and I think it should have the same following the 7mm has today. The .264 is a flat shooting and inherently accurate cartridge. Of course I prefer the rifle calibers that arent in everybodys guncabinet.
    The problem is AMERICANS just don't like a hot 6.5 caliber, they always will pick the 7MM MAG. or a 300 MAG.:twocents:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As far as the F.B.I., I heard they were conducting tests on airplanes, and due to penetration of the airplanes body they couldn't use it. I do remember a sub sonic round that was on the market for law enforcement only for a while, but I am not sure what happend to it. It was supposed to be the answer for the over penetration, but smith and wesson started developing the .40 and the 10mm died off from the law enforcement community.

Overpenetration of airplanes had nothing to do with it. The whole point of the FBI looking for a new round was because of the Miama shootout. They wanted agents to have something with more penetration than the 9mm and more rounds than the .357mag.

The excuse the FBI used for discontinuing the full power 10mm and developing the 10mm lite (which is NOT a .40s&w) was a training issue due to recoil, but the real reason they went to the .40 was a contract dispute between the FBI, S&W (the 1076 was the issue gun), with Glock also getting in the action and suing due to their bid being rejected. So the FBI returned the 1076s to S&W under "warranty" and adopted the .40s&w which had already been developed, as a way out of the legal mess. Word around the agency at the time was that most of the agents issued the 1076 did not want to give it up as it was one of the most innovative weapons of its time (and as a 1066 owner, I happen to agree with this) shooting a very potent round with recoil similar to the .357mag.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    O.K. O.K., I'll quit picking on the 10mm. I too like the round, I just didn't think it had much popularity, I guess I am wrong.

*laughs*

You were right about one thing, it's fans tend to be fanatics. Those of us who are fans usually know a fair amount about the history of the round and the guns that shoot it.

I became aware of guns about the same time this round was being developed and I remember devouring all the info I could at the time, even though I was too young to own a gun. I wanted a 10mm as my first gun but it didn't work out that way.

I'm just glad there's been a steady increase in its popularity, especially as a full power round. I think it was one of the most overlooked developments in the modern autoloader.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    .357 is getting harder and harder to find
    I hope you mean this round
    The .357 Maximum, also known as the .357 Remington Maximum, as the .357 Max, originally developed by Elgin Gates as the wildcat .357 SuperMag,[2] was introduced into commercial production by Remington Arms Company and Ruger and was introduced in 1983 as a new chambering for the Ruger Blackhawk.[1] Shortly thereafter, Dan Wesson and Thompson/Center introduced firearms in this cartridge. United Sporting Arms also chambered it in their Silhouette series single-action revolvers. It is basically a .357 Magnum case lengthened .300".[3] Based on the .357 Magnum cartridge, a revolver or single-shot pistol designed for the .357 Max can also fire .357 Magnum, and .38 Special rounds. Intended primarily as a silhouette cartridge, such high velocity and energy levels have obvious hunting applications. SAAMI pressure level for this cartridge is set at 48,000 CUP.
    Despite stellar performance, the high pressure and velocity of the cartridge caused gas cutting (.003 in most firearms) (flame cutting) of revolver top straps (due to the use of light 110 and 125 grain bullets) , and the cartridge has since been dropped by all manufacturers who so chambered their revolvers.[4] Single shot pistols and rifles (e.g., Thompson/Center Contender) are still available in this caliber, and remain popular among handloaders. Unprimed brass is also still produced every few years by Remington, with the next production run expected in 2009.
    [edit] Performance

Bullet weight Velocity Energy 158 grains 10.2 g 1825 ft/s 560 m/s 1168 ft·lbf 1,584 J 180 grains 11.7 g 1550 ft/s 470 m/s 960 ft·lbf 1,302 J

Top Bottom