The DOJ took Cody Wilson's "DEFCAD" 3D-print gun site down. Cody sued, and won.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Here's the restraining order.

It's an embarrassment. It's riddled with errors of fact and misstatements of law. It's like the judge copy/pasted an anti-gun brief without bothering to check whether any of it was accurate.

It doesn't even enjoin Cody, DD, or the 2A Foundation. Instead it's enjoining the State Department.

If this goes to SCOTUS, it should be a 9-0 shutdown.

https://www.scribd.com/document/385148221/Document-1

The State Department is one of the parties impacted.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Not to be contrary, but why do people do this stuff? Publish files that are sure to inflame? Open carry of long guns, etc. that is sure to inflame, etc.

Is pissing off as many liberals really the key to restoring the 2nd Amendment? Please help me understand the cause and effect logic.

I'm wearing my fire proof Bat-undies to handle the replies. (Batman circa 1966 had such INGO gear)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not to be contrary, but why do people do this stuff? Publish files that are sure to inflame? Open carry of long guns, etc. that is sure to inflame, etc.

Is pissing off as many liberals really the key to restoring the 2nd Amendment? Please help me understand the cause and effect logic.

I'm wearing my fire proof Bat-undies to handle the replies. (Batman circa 1966 had such INGO gear)

"I did it to own the libs" is a good meme right now.

Honestly? It's technological advancement. 3D printing is an amazing thing, and it doesn't matter what you're printing... you should be able to create shapes out of plastic.

"I shouldn't do this because it'll upset someone" is never a good reason to get rid of something. We should all be amazed that it's even possible.

OC'ing rifle example... that's a bit different. I can't think of a situation that hasn't been for "demonstration" purposes... a counter-activity to an outcry against rifles, for example.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    "I shouldn't do this because it'll upset someone" is never a good reason to get rid of something. We should all be amazed that it's even possible.

OC'ing rifle example... that's a bit different. I can't think of a situation that hasn't been for "demonstration" purposes... a counter-activity to an outcry against rifles, for example.

I stand amazed. OK, now what.

Guess I was tying them together because "everything gun is about guns or the fight to keep rights or take them away".

As it is, not sure the government has a need to outlaw crappy plastic printed guns, and how could they, unless this pushes cretin people to call for more magazine bans, ammo registration bans, et al. I know they can't, but in the long term, the constant liberal drum beat does matter.

But, should people with the agenda to keep our 2A rights be for or against the crappy plastic printed guns and the ability to print them?

Just because you can, and have the right, doesn't mean you should. Is any purpose in our agenda served by supporting this guy and his site?

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Is pissing off as many liberals really the key to restoring the 2nd Amendment?

Consider the alternative: If you bend over backwards attempting to appease 'liberal' sensibilities, do you really think they'll just pack up their campaign for disarmament and go home? Of course not. In fact, they're more likely to smell blood in the water and push even harder. The point is to exercise our rights, push the issue into the spotlight, and be completely unapologetic about it. It's trolling with politics: You don't get angry, you let them get angry.

3-D printed guns are currently useless as firearms. Give the technology a couple more decades to mature, and who knows, but for the time being, you can get better results with hardware store fittings, a hacksaw, a file, and elbow grease. See: P.A. Luty. However, they are excellent as a political tool. Nobody cares about extruding a Saturday Night Special on your Makerbot; the issue at stake here is, can we exercise and protect the right for an individual to manufacture firearms, and perhaps more importantly, can we exercise and protect the right to teach others to make firearms.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    issue at stake here is, can we exercise and protect the right for an individual to manufacture firearms, and perhaps more importantly, can we exercise and protect the right to teach others to make firearms.

This part I like and understand.

But Finding pissing off liberals as an effective tactic is a harder sell. It is not an either or proposition. Pissing them off or appeasement.

How about we learn to ignore and spend time and money convincing the undecided and the middle grounders?

How about spending energy "going around" liberals to normal, man in the street types, would seem to be a better investment. No?

Question is HOW?

That's my take.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

People do it because advancing technology is going to be the tipping point that makes gun control impossible. If .gov can't influence or control the distribution then they ultimately lose the ability to curtail the second amendment to any degree. Owning the libs is just a bonus.

It also exposes the hypocrisy off the gun grabbers that falsely claim that 2A should only cover single shot muskets. These 3-D printed guns are less accurate, less robust, less reliable and much more dangerous for the shooter than a musket, and they don't even want to allow it. That completely undercuts any argument they claim to be making in good faith about "not wanting to ban guns."

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "Codeisfreespeech.com" is apparently a banned URL on Facebook.

Gun-Rights Activists Who Posted Gun Files Say Facebook, Amazon Have Censored Their Site

DkKZzHJXoAAoNpC.jpg:small

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You know, (and I don't mean to threadjack), with Facebook and other social media sites banning things like this, and Alex Jones, it kind of makes it hard for the left to argue against someone refusing to bake a cake for someone whose lifestyle they don't agree with. Good for the goose, good for the gander kinda thing...

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Forgive me if everybody's already seen this, but it proves a point.

[video=youtube;3b9UdThFS8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b9UdThFS8Q[/video]

Cody Wilson said:
    I don't think Ed Markey knew you could legally make a gun in this country until last week, and I think that's part of what's inflammatory to at least the Democratic establishment. This is also their discovery that it's been legal in this country since it's founding to make a gun for yourself. Well I'm sorry that you just found that out.
    The government has regulated commercial manufacture of arms and arms transfer in interstate commerce but the government has never regulated the production of firearms you're allowed to own. An American can, to this day, right now, make a gun and there's no requirement to put a serial number on it. Again, I'm sorry that a bunch of politicians woke up to the reality of this just last week, but this is the way it's always been.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Five years ago, Cody Wilson released files on the web for the first 3D printable gun. The government tried to stop him. He sued. Now he's won. So he's launching a new online library of gun files designed to let anyone download and build their own.

https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns

Correct information.
    The print code files were deemed to be protected under the first amendment as free speech.

As for 'DIY Guns' the media and pundts seem to entirely dismiss a 'Firearm' can be built from common items that aren't printed.
    Pipe/Tubing & rubber bands for instance, which do not require days to 3D print, don't require 3D printers or education to use 3D printers.

'Zip Guns' have been with us since self contained cartridges.
    Before self contained cartridges, they were 'Muzzle Loaders'.

It's not like you can't buy an actual firearm with little or no effort...

Much sound & fury about nothing...
    And it might very well wind up having many more of the hard parts of firearms regulated, along with ammunition since you can't 3D print a cartridge.

--------

On a personal note,
    I don't want to be anywhere around when one of these things goes off.
    I see them screw up printing paperweights and drink coasters, the idea of a 'Safe' printed firearms seems like an oxymoron to me.
    I see a HUGE amount of lawsuits on the horizon...

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Stephen Gutowski said:
    There's a printed copy of Cody Wilson's Liberator code now available on Amazon. I bought a copy to see what it's like and, well, it's quite literally the code for the gun design.

There is an editor's note which explains the purpose of the book is to exemplify the idea that publishing computer code is akin to publishing books and that banning computer code is akin to banning books.

There's also a note that indicates Cody Wilson's company Defense Distributed was not involved in creating the book.

DkvZdYTW0AEFXOb.jpg:small

DkvbBhYWwAEQtcH.jpg:small

Top Bottom