Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I guess I should also offer a warning. Occasionally MS will put out a Windows update that will reset your search provider to Bing. Haven't seen it lately but it does happen. If it does, going into the browser settings and changing your search provider back to your preferred provider is all that's needed. Thank you very much Microsoft... :xmad:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess I should also offer a warning. Occasionally MS will put out a Windows update that will reset your search provider to Bing. Haven't seen it lately but it does happen. If it does, going into the browser settings and changing your search provider back to your preferred provider is all that's needed. Thank you very much Microsoft... :xmad:

Manipulation and control.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They do the same thing to the Privacy settings. You can set things to be relatively secure, but they will often reset the Privacy settings back to insecure settings through an update. Should be against the law.

I am of a mind that some of these manipulations keeps the door open to outside influences. People such as yourself that are hooked up enough to understand stay on top of this. The average Joe or Mary not so much.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I am of a mind that some of these manipulations keeps the door open to outside influences. People such as yourself that are hooked up enough to understand stay on top of this. The average Joe or Mary not so much.

Yep. It's been that way for a long time. The average person often doesn't have the time or inclination to read up and understand what's needed to protect themselves. The bad actors take advantage of that. I used to rail against the fact that companies didn't enforce computer knowledge better when they hired personnel. As long as they understood the basics of getting into and using the needed program, that was all companies cared about. Because of that helpdesk calls go through the roof for stupid stuff that people should know how to do for themselves and companies get breached all the time because employees don't understand the basics of computer security. Self inflicted wounds is how I refer to it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Good Morning : My People..!!

I hafta go to Florence, KY to get my tires rotated (Costco)

Then crack a move to do some recording (piano music) for a friend in Greenwood.

Lot'sa driving today peeps
    Keep an eye out for good bourbon while there.
    Blantons straight from the barrel (125 to 136 proof), EH Taylor, stagg jr, Elmer t lee, rockhill farms. Vanwinkle, pappy, old forester birthday bourbon, larceny barrel proof, weller full proof, weller 107.
    I'll pay/trade in ammo or $ if you find good bourbon

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Are there people I can hire to come into my house and secure my network, phones etc?

That's a good question. Not really? I mean, you can find independent IT guys who could do it that would probably know what to do. Vinny comes to mind. Otherwise you're stuck with the Nerd Herd types, like Geek Squad, who aren't worth considering IMO. On the other hand there are major Information Security consulting firms, but I'm not sure they do consumer level consulting. The best thing is to research it for yourself. How best to secure your home network and devices. Using WPA 2 on your wireless, making sure the router password is changed from default, disable sharing on your computers, keep the patches up to date and use a browser like Brave or Firefox, with an ad blocker enabled. Those are the basics. Plus don't do anything financial on your phone if you can help it.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Here is a pic showing the P07 and the Phantom SS guide rods. You can see the Phantom's protrudes out more. I think that I will probably shorten it.
    c50f14b9e32748e256d3aa99655a4b14.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Keep an eye out for good bourbon while there.
    Blantons straight from the barrel (125 to 136 proof), EH Taylor, stagg jr, Elmer t lee, rockhill farms. Vanwinkle, pappy, old forester birthday bourbon, larceny barrel proof, weller full proof, weller 107.
    I'll pay/trade in ammo or $ if you find good bourbon
    What would you do for a Klondike bar?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Knowing how computer companies get paid will tell you why they do the things they do. I've come to the conclusion that software sales are probably not their primary source of income, otherwise they would be more user friendly.

Always follow the money

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    That's a good question. Not really? I mean, you can find independent IT guys who could do it that would probably know what to do. Vinny comes to mind. Otherwise you're stuck with the Nerd Herd types, like Geek Squad, who aren't worth considering IMO. On the other hand there are major Information Security consulting firms, but I'm not sure they do consumer level consulting. The best thing is to research it for yourself. How best to secure your home network and devices. Using WPA 2 on your wireless, making sure the router password is changed from default, disable sharing on your computers, keep the patches up to date and use a browser like Brave or Firefox, with an ad blocker enabled. Those are the basics. Plus don't do anything financial on your phone if you can help it.

That pretty much covers it I believe.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom