The CZickness XXX: As in life, the twenties are just a blur...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You need to run 2 of my AR's that have Larue triggers. I'm very impressed by them.

I do need to do that. I should just buy one and if it works out for me, go ahead and order another 5 to finish everything up.

I hate to even ask this right now given my desire to buy nothing new but, I have 1:7s in 10.5”, 14.5” and 16”. I have a 1:9 16” and a 1:12 20”. If I were to make an honest attempt to ring steel at 400 yards with an AR, what twist and length would get me there in 5.56? I’m assuming I’d be running either 68g or heavier pills, which sounds like a faster twist. What would the minimum realistic barrel length be to reach out that far accurately?

Oh, and CZ.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Took the family to a few pawn shops today just to get out of the house and look for something cool enough to keep me from ordering anything online. I think I found it. With any luck, I should be coming home tomorrow with a factory built Noveske 18" SPR in 5.56. I'll put my PST 2.5-10x32 scope on it and shoot 77gr pills just like my hero KJQ.
    Great score! That is a keeper gun right there. Now we can go shoot the sniper match with 88 and Reed.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I do need to do that. I should just buy one and if it works out for me, go ahead and order another 5 to finish everything up.

I hate to even ask this right now given my desire to buy nothing new but, I have 1:7s in 10.5”, 14.5” and 16”. I have a 1:9 16” and a 1:12 20”. If I were to make an honest attempt to ring steel at 400 yards with an AR, what twist and length would get me there in 5.56? I’m assuming I’d be running either 68g or heavier pills, which sounds like a faster twist. What would the minimum realistic barrel length be to reach out that far accurately?

Oh, and CZ.
    Any of those guns will ring steel at 400yds all day long.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    20 rounds center fire in slow fire. You must shoot prone with only front support for the rifle allowed. You are shooting at 100 yards. You have 20 seconds to get a shot off with a 20 second period between shots.

Not really a sniper match but a fun way to spend New Year’s Day.

Nothing spectacular and I'm not sure why they call it a sniper match, but in this case it is shot on an MR-31 target with any centerfire rifle at 100 yards. The 10 ring is 1.75" and the X ring is 0.75". It is the 100 yard reduced version of the MR-1 NRA 600 YD High Power Rifle target.

It is shot from the prone position with front bipod or sandbags and no artificial rear support (you can use your support hand in the back). All rounds are loaded one at a time. You have 20 seconds to fire/20 second rest/20 seconds to fire/20 seconds to rest, etc until you have fired your 20 rounds over the course of 13 minutes.

The 2 best scores today were 200/17X and 200/19X.
    Sounds like a great way to spend the day, and you had a beautiful day for it. :thumbsup:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Any of those guns will ring steel at 400yds all day long.

Sort of depends on the size of the steel. Shooting steel at 300, 400, 500, 600 yards, etc. is often posted about but the size of the steel always seems to be left out.

A full size silhouette at 200 yards is any AR, iron sights and shot off hand territory all day long while a 4" round steel at 400 yards would be a whole different animal.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Had a great afternoons at the range, got about 2 hours of range time today.

X39 AR ran great. Couple of small hiccups, one of the mags didn’t want to stay in all of the way and Red Army ammo has a harder primer than Wolf. Looks like is should be a 1.5-2 MOA rifle with cheap steel ammo. Absolutely love the Gibbz side charging upper.

Discovered Winchester’s subsonic 22 ammo isn’t really subsonic. Otherwise the rest were varying degrees of quiet and I tested what I wanted to on that front.

After mulling it around and coming to terms with it for a week or two, I bought a Gen5 G19 with a Holosun 507 on it last week. I put 150rds through that and I find that I rather enjoyed it. That was probably the most fun I’ve had with a 9mm pistol in a along time.

With that, I’ve said good things about an AR and a g-word so I’m going to go find a therapist now.
    :faint:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Took the family to a few pawn shops today just to get out of the house and look for something cool enough to keep me from ordering anything online. I think I found it. With any luck, I should be coming home tomorrow with a factory built Noveske 18" SPR in 5.56. I'll put my PST 2.5-10x32 scope on it and shoot 77gr pills just like my hero KJQ.
    :thumbsup:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    My thinking is that by the end of 2020, I should have a better feel for what I like if I stop distracting myself with new toys. Then, the unloved stuff can move on to bring funds in for more shooting.

I’ve decided that I like shooting guns more than just having guns. Sure, having guns is fun but it does not compare to the fun of running the snot out of them.

Ahhh, separating the wheat from the chaff ..... admirable ! :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Turbo speaking In positives about the AR...…….amazing.

Maybe he will actually open his heart to the 1911 one day.

Wait....….what is this "G" word stuff.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Turbo speaking In positives about the AR...…….amazing.

Maybe he will actually open his heart to the 1911 one day.

Wait....….what is this "G" word stuff.
    I'm probably to blame for the AR. The Glock thing he came up with on his own. I'm okay with it, but I don't need a fancy pants trigger. :stickpoke:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Oh, and CZ.

18" with a Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel, and a LaRue trigger........... Boom, the Blue Mink, in other words. But you could make yours any color you like ! :D

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh, and 1:7 or 1:8 will do. I zeroed mine in with 68 grain Frontier match ammo. BOOM .... the tannerite goes, at 200 yards .... 1st shot !

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    After yesterday's morning adventure in here, I'm ready for anything now.
    fire-entry-suits.jpg

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have no idea what is inside my AR I got from "CKW"

...and I forget the brand of the lower parts kit in my soon-to-be SBR

Status
    Not open for further replies.