THE CZickness XLVIII....."The Holidays are Coming" edition...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good morning my friends. Since I have nothing gun related to add, I thought I might share something else that has my interest as of late.

Genealogy, family and historical research has been a long-standing passion of mine that I get involved with from time to time. A couple years back I was entrusted with hundreds of old family photos from my grandmother on my moms side. A family I know little about really because, growing up we were always at my dads side for holidays and gatherings. Anywho. It’s fun to look at the pictures, we sat down at that time and had my grandmother write names on the back of the pictures that she could identify. There were lots that she couldn’t.

My wife and I took lots of time here in the last several months to study the unnamed people and used context clues, people we could identify in the photos to give our best guesses on who some of the others were. I think we got pretty darn close and using that we were able to have my grandmother confirm several that she couldn’t before!

I got hung up on a series of photos which featured my great grandparents and an unknown couple. It wasn’t the people I was interested in, but rather a building in the background which was obviously no longer standing. I set out to figure out what it was and why it was torn down. I could see that it looked like a church. That’s all I had to go on…

Here is the photo of my great grandfather whom I never got to meet as he died in 1976… The building in question on the upper right.

View attachment 243744

At first i started on some local history Facebook pages asking if anyone knew what it was. It turned into quite the conversation. Lots of incorrect information that I was able to disprove. But it wasn’t long before someone came forth with a name of the church! Christ’s Evangelical Lutheran Church. Awesome. I had a name! Now I was curious to find a picture of the whole thing to take all of its beauty in.

I was able to find some history on the web. That congregation was started in the 1890’s, on that property (downtown Fort Wayne), this particular building was built in 1917. And the congregation disbanded in 1936 due to financial issues. I still couldn’t find a picture of it… I had a plat map that showed and confirmed the location and name. So I set out on some squirrel runs to determine the exact location of where my great grandfather was standing and some of the businesses around, as well as the cars. Trying to nail down the year the photo was taken.

I was able to figure out the location easily, and a timeframe pretty quick based on the cars and the car lot on the left became a city famous drive In restaurant in 1936. Ok. I knew the cars were no newer than about 1936 and the ones on the right weren’t any older than 1933. So I was getting closer. I zoomed into the front license plate on the closest car, can’t read it… dang. So I colorized the photo! Plate is black! Ok!! Google Indiana plates of that time frame. 1934 and 1936 are black. 1935 is red. Cool! But still… which year?? I happened to notice that “Indiana” was on the bottom one the plate in 1934 and top of the plate in 1936! Cool! 1934 is when this photo was taken. So the church was still a church.

Still no photo showing up of the building in its entirety… I was able to find out based on people’s memories that it became the Knights of Columbus Hall sometime after the church congregation disbanded. And it seemed it remained such for the rest of its days. I was also able to find out that the Greyhound bus station was right next door and shared a parking lot. Still nothing down that rabbit hole… then I found a really cool website that has vintage aerial views back to 1938 and about every 10 years after! So I know the building was there in 1975 but not in 1981. No newspaper articles I could find related to its demise.

We did uncover lots of history that happened in this particular city block and the surrounding blocks. Lots of churches and historic buildings torn down in the name of progress…

I started to reach out to the local history center, I got a little more information from them, they sent me to the genealogy center in our county library ( which if you ever want or need to figure something out in a family search, we have one of the country’s largest collections of genealogy records) and got a little more information. Then sent me to a local organization called ARCH, which is involved in a lot of preservation around the area… I heard back from a lady there and she said she would look into in…

A few weeks go by and I’ve all but given up thinking, I’ve got the only remaining photo of this church… but then I get an email! She had spent week’s digging and found this postcard in the library’s digital collection online!

Behold!

View attachment 243745

I was finally able to sleep at night lol. A months long search with countless hours…

If you are in Fort Wayne and happen to attend a TinCaps baseball game, as you walk into the park from the north, you are walking on the grounds this beautiful church once stood…

All of this searching and diving deep into all of the church history in our historic “City of Churches”, has actually lead me down and spiritual path which I have never been down before. New territory for me, lots to learn!

Your history lesson for the day. Sorry for the book!

-Rusty
    All that because you forgot you had your picture taken in front of a church in 1934.

:fogey::oldwise:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Good morning my friends. Since I have nothing gun related to add, I thought I might share something else that has my interest as of late.

Genealogy, family and historical research has been a long-standing passion of mine that I get involved with from time to time. A couple years back I was entrusted with hundreds of old family photos from my grandmother on my moms side. A family I know little about really because, growing up we were always at my dads side for holidays and gatherings. Anywho. It’s fun to look at the pictures, we sat down at that time and had my grandmother write names on the back of the pictures that she could identify. There were lots that she couldn’t.

My wife and I took lots of time here in the last several months to study the unnamed people and used context clues, people we could identify in the photos to give our best guesses on who some of the others were. I think we got pretty darn close and using that we were able to have my grandmother confirm several that she couldn’t before!

I got hung up on a series of photos which featured my great grandparents and an unknown couple. It wasn’t the people I was interested in, but rather a building in the background which was obviously no longer standing. I set out to figure out what it was and why it was torn down. I could see that it looked like a church. That’s all I had to go on…

Here is the photo of my great grandfather whom I never got to meet as he died in 1976… The building in question on the upper right.

View attachment 243744

At first i started on some local history Facebook pages asking if anyone knew what it was. It turned into quite the conversation. Lots of incorrect information that I was able to disprove. But it wasn’t long before someone came forth with a name of the church! Christ’s Evangelical Lutheran Church. Awesome. I had a name! Now I was curious to find a picture of the whole thing to take all of its beauty in.

I was able to find some history on the web. That congregation was started in the 1890’s, on that property (downtown Fort Wayne), this particular building was built in 1917. And the congregation disbanded in 1936 due to financial issues. I still couldn’t find a picture of it… I had a plat map that showed and confirmed the location and name. So I set out on some squirrel runs to determine the exact location of where my great grandfather was standing and some of the businesses around, as well as the cars. Trying to nail down the year the photo was taken.

I was able to figure out the location easily, and a timeframe pretty quick based on the cars and the car lot on the left became a city famous drive In restaurant in 1936. Ok. I knew the cars were no newer than about 1936 and the ones on the right weren’t any older than 1933. So I was getting closer. I zoomed into the front license plate on the closest car, can’t read it… dang. So I colorized the photo! Plate is black! Ok!! Google Indiana plates of that time frame. 1934 and 1936 are black. 1935 is red. Cool! But still… which year?? I happened to notice that “Indiana” was on the bottom one the plate in 1934 and top of the plate in 1936! Cool! 1934 is when this photo was taken. So the church was still a church.

Still no photo showing up of the building in its entirety… I was able to find out based on people’s memories that it became the Knights of Columbus Hall sometime after the church congregation disbanded. And it seemed it remained such for the rest of its days. I was also able to find out that the Greyhound bus station was right next door and shared a parking lot. Still nothing down that rabbit hole… then I found a really cool website that has vintage aerial views back to 1938 and about every 10 years after! So I know the building was there in 1975 but not in 1981. No newspaper articles I could find related to its demise.

We did uncover lots of history that happened in this particular city block and the surrounding blocks. Lots of churches and historic buildings torn down in the name of progress…

I started to reach out to the local history center, I got a little more information from them, they sent me to the genealogy center in our county library ( which if you ever want or need to figure something out in a family search, we have one of the country’s largest collections of genealogy records) and got a little more information. Then sent me to a local organization called ARCH, which is involved in a lot of preservation around the area… I heard back from a lady there and she said she would look into in…

A few weeks go by and I’ve all but given up thinking, I’ve got the only remaining photo of this church… but then I get an email! She had spent week’s digging and found this postcard in the library’s digital collection online!

Behold!

View attachment 243745

I was finally able to sleep at night lol. A months long search with countless hours…

If you are in Fort Wayne and happen to attend a TinCaps baseball game, as you walk into the park from the north, you are walking on the grounds this beautiful church once stood…

All of this searching and diving deep into all of the church history in our historic “City of Churches”, has actually lead me down and spiritual path which I have never been down before. New territory for me, lots to learn!

-Rusty
    Absolutely AWESOME Rusty!!! Big history buff here too!!!! It’s amazing how such beautiful massive buildings are torn down. You think of all the painstaking woodwork or intricate carvings that took months to create. GONE with a wreaking ball and bulldozers.
    I was in Czech Republic 16 years ago. Truly a beautiful nation!!! It was spared the destruction of WW2, and the communist didn’t destroy the 15 and 16 century churches!!!! Prague is City that has stood against time. Brno has an amazing town square entire building coo coo clock!!! I just wish we or I could have visited another place in Brno.

CZ factory!!!!

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Most of us have famous people in our family. On my mom’s side was Howard Baker. He was a senator from Tennessee that was on the Watergate Committee and was Chief of Staff for Regan. On my dad’s did was Alfred Hitchcock. My grandmother’s maiden name was Hitchcock. I do believe he was a cousin of hers.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi

View attachment 243744

Behold!

View attachment 243745

-Rusty
    This was about 5x the longest comment I've ever even attempted to read on here. Worth every word. I love stuff like this, and I am amazed by the tenacity in which you pursued answers.

Way cool.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This was about 5x the longest comment I've ever even attempted to read on here. Worth every word. I love stuff like this, and I am amazed by the tenacity in which you pursued answers.

Way cool.
    Stubbornness sometimes works as an advantage! Lol. If there was a way for me to make a living doing this stuff, I’m on board.

It’s quite amazing how much history surrounds us every day. Just takes a little digging and determination to figure it out if it interests you.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    The only famous person in my family, we don't know his real name. He was a basque in king louis's court and fled during the revolution. Only the family who smuggled him to Mexico knew it. He ended up marrying the only daughter, and took her family name. I have been trying to find info on this and our people, 1/2 blood ( the caxcan) for about 2 years. Unfortunately he did a great job concealing his history. And on the other side, the church hung my great grandparents in front of my grandmother as a child for being native. They killed off our people unless they got baptized. Now not even historians have a solid grasp on our culture. I have so many questions and no clue how to find things historians can't figure out...

Long story short, I have been reinvigorated in my search. Thank you

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    The only famous person in my family, we don't know his real name. He was a basque in king louis's court and fled during the revolution. Only the family who smuggled him to Mexico knew it. He ended up marrying the only daughter, and took her family name. I have been trying to find info on this and our people, 1/2 blood ( the caxcan) for about 2 years. Unfortunately he did a great job concealing his history. And on the other side, the church hung my great grandparents in front of my grandmother as a child for being native. They killed off our people unless they got baptized. Now not even historians have a solid grasp on our culture. I have so many questions and no clue how to find things historians can't figure out...

Long story short, I have been reinvigorated in my search. Thank you

Thought that I'd add the info below, cookie. I didn't know about the Caxcan, so I had to look it up. :thumbsup:

The Caxcan were a partly nomadic indigenous people of Mexico. Under their leader, Tenamaztle, the Caxcan were allied with the Zacatecos against the Spaniards during the Mixtón Rebellion in 1540-42. During the rebellion, they were described as "the heart and the center of the Indian Rebellion".

Caxcan - Wikipedia

Wikipedia·https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Caxcan

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    A lot of people don't realize but Fort Wayne, Indiana was in the top 5 places for Hitler to bomb in America.

1.) General Electric was entirely located here. I think at one time they owned over 200 ACRES!!! inside the
    city of Fort Wayne. Most of the electric motors, which were on all our warships, tanks, and other
    installations.....you guessed it MADE IN FORT WAYNE! ! ! !
    2.) General Electric again made our radios that were in all our equipment in WW2.
    3.) International Harvester........FORT WAYNE, INDIANA.....tanks, 2.5 Deuces, and the beloved JEEP!!!:patriot: need transmissions.....you guessed it MADE IN FORT WAYNE! ! ! ! ! (not so much JEEP, but I'm sure they
    had to make something for JEEP in Fort Wayne.....LOL)
    4.) Now this one, you don't want to be famous for, but we stored a lot of the plutonium rods that were used
    to manufacture the 2 atom bombs that ended World War 2.

CZ!!!!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    A lot of people don't realize but Fort Wayne, Indiana was in the top 5 places for Hitler to bomb in America.

1.) General Electric was entirely located here. I think at one time they owned over 200 ACRES!!! inside the
    city of Fort Wayne. Most of the electric motors, which were on all our warships, tanks, and other
    installations.....you guessed it MADE IN FORT WAYNE! ! ! !
    2.) General Electric again made our radios that were in all our equipment in WW2.
    3.) International Harvester........FORT WAYNE, INDIANA.....tanks, 2.5 Deuces, and the beloved JEEP!!!:patriot: need transmissions.....you guessed it MADE IN FORT WAYNE! ! ! ! ! (not so much JEEP, but I'm sure they
    had to make something for JEEP in Fort Wayne.....LOL)
    4.) Now this one, you don't want to be famous for, but we stored a lot of the plutonium rods that were used
    to manufacture the 2 atom bombs that ended World War 2.

CZ!!!!
    The Casad Depot isn't too far from my house. I was always told that was on Hitler's list.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom