The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Reba delivered a magnificent performance today. There are just a few rifles I have felt deeply connected to and this is one of them, along with my Noveske AR and my Howa 308 being the other.

I began with the slow, boring and mostly annoying process of breaking the barrel in per Howa's procedure. I don't normally do break in procedures, but my precision mentors insisted otherwise. I should mention that I bore sighted the rifle at the range by using the tried and trued way of removing the bolt and looking down the barrel at the target, then adjusting the scope to the same point of aim. I have had great success doing this and many times I've had bullseyes starting out, this was one of those times.

View attachment 166372

After 20 rounds, it was time for initial ammo testing. Wolf Gold 55gr put together a stellar 3 shots on group #3 at 0.361", but I couldn't duplicate it. I am going to reattempt at a later date, because I was still getting to know the rifle and hadn't quite found my rhythm just yet, so I kinda feel like the ammo didn't get a fair shake. The target shows horizontal and vertical stringing as I ironed out my issues that gmcttr is coaching me on.

After slapping the suppressor on, it took the rifle from being a rumbling punchy little fellow to a more quiet & refined gentleman. It made the rifle a downright joy to shoot. The experience became zen like the more acquainted we became. I only shot Wolf Gold for the first 35 rounds unsuppressed, everything after that had the can on during testing.

View attachment 166375

Now the good stuff begins to show. Australian Outback 69gr was impressive, but Norma 77gr stole the show. Which doesn't surprise me, because that stuff performs like high octane race fuel in my 5.56 Noveske AR.

View attachment 166376
    That looks like a good shooting rifle. Howa makes nice stuff. :yesway:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    1. Yes, it's ugly. Ghetto Fabulous is my preferred nomenclature. Frankenrest here is all spare parts laying around the garage. Didn't use the Allen rest much except to clean rifles. I'm sure it's the cheapest model available. (I have a better one in the mix now.) It provided the legs and rest portion. Can go back to OEM if need be.

2. I love making something useful out of crap. I'm cheap and don't care about beauty pageant awards if it works. It'll be less hideous when I'm done.

You have a Rock. I give you The Block.

Patent Pending.
    bfc2958c99fb57cf29eb9cd38fe8d28f.jpg

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Morning all :coffee:
    Prayers for CM and family. Heading out to Crawfordsville this morning for what I hope will be a short day. Nothing on the books tomorrow.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    FWIW, IMI has 77gr SMK also. They call it Razor Core.
    I'm familiar and have some (that I got from you ;)), but that's 5.56 and the Howa is chambered in .223. That being said, I know some .223 rifles are rated to handle 5.56, for example CZ.

1636025332002.png

I sent an email to Howa to find out if their rifles are able to safely handle 5.56 before I find out for myself.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Morn'n gents

I was informed lastnight that we theres a person with a 3D printer in the thread. Anyone know who it is?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom