The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Long day at the range. I did not have time to play with the tuner on the 457. I had the scope replaced under warranty on that rifle recently and wanted to verify the scope fixed my recent issues with horrible groups from known good ammo, which it did. Adding the tuner will happen next trip.

Rusty's Ruger American .22LR did pretty well, especially considering the scope has a fixed 100 yard parallax and I was testing at 50 yards. I figured out if I kept both eyes open and played with the focus of my eyes (like with those pictures where a 3D image appears if you look at them just right) and got the reticle to come into focus with the target somewhat blurry. I did my best to keep cheek/eye position consistent during firing to alleviate any issues associated with parallax error.

For some reason CCI SV was giving me fits today with this rifle (and the 457 too, explained later). It didn't want to extract them from the chamber. The chamber was clean, I cleaned the bolt face, removed the extractor and cleaned it too. Then adjusted tension on the extractor, still no dice. Really frustrating. Had no extraction issues with any other ammo in this rifle.

RWS rifle match won the day for best average, only because Center X decided to throw some crazy horrible group out there. SK Rifle Match had the best 5-shot group with an impressive 0.3" hole.

20211101_180742.jpg

20211101_195153.jpg

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Which one of you bought the SP-01 in the classies?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The 457 also experienced extraction issues with CCI SV today. It was a new brick I used, so maybe that's the issue. The 457 would extract them, but it took noticeably more effort than other ammo being used today. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong because the 457 has always had a very smooth cycling bolt. Nope it was the CCI SV ammo being tight in the chamber after firing.

All of the match ammo did well today with the replacement Arken scope. I chased my tail for a bit trying to figure out why my groups started going really bad with the original scope. I can't quite get this rifle to consistently produce 1 moa with anything yet. Close, but no cigar. I plan on playing with the new tuner using Eley Club, Eley Target and RWS Rifle Match to see if that helps.

20211101_194252.jpg

20211101_194413.jpg

I did start to figure out something late in the day when I was finishing up with the Tippmann rifle. I found a slightly different position while shooting the rifle from the bench where it noticeably improved the steadiness of my aim. I don't want to speak too soon, because I want to practice with it more, but it could be something that really helps with horizontal stringing. I'll practice it more and report back.

You can kinda see the difference in the last 3 groups, where I was aiming at the capital letter on each section. Again, it was noticeable while aiming, it just felt steadier.

20211101_193406.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I can't quite get this rifle to consistently produce 1 moa with anything yet. Close, but no cigar. I plan on playing with the new tuner using Eley Club, Eley Target and RWS Rifle Match to see if that helps.

View attachment 166019

20211101_195153.jpg

Click to expand to see what targets I copied.

LOTS of potential showing. All are under 1 moa without the single flyers. I'm confident those are mostly you and not the rifle. I do the same thing and it often confirms when the shot "did not feel right"...my bad. Consistency with the smallest details is the cure and I continue to struggle with it.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Click to expand to see what targets I copied.

LOTS of potential showing. All are under 1 moa without the single flyers. I'm confident those are mostly you and not the rifle. I do the same thing and it usually confirms when the shot "did not feel right"...my bad. Consistency with the smallest details is the cure and I continue to struggle with it.
    Today I worked on: keeping the same squeeze on the rear bag, keeping the same finger position & pressure on the grip of the rifle, keeping the same cheek position without lifting off to reload (457 was being single loaded, oh what fun that is).

What I am still struggling with is the light trigger pull of the 457 (just barely over 1lb). Going from my wife's AR pistol trigger (ALG mil-spec), to the 2-stage Larue in the Noveske, to the Ruger American, to the 457 and then the Larue in the Tippmann is really screwing me up. I probably fired at least 5-6 shots today with the 457 when I didn't actually want to, thankfully my reticle was close to being where I wanted, but my bad habit of staging the trigger really shines when my mind wanders ever so slightly. The 457 trigger is the only one that I have struggled with getting just right. I've tried heavier pull weights and then it gets a weird creep and break to it. If I had it my way, I'd have the exact same Larue 2-stage style trigger in every rifle I own.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Learn the light trigger and you will want it lighter yet. My 9oz trigger is feeling a bit heavy. :D

Quit squeezing the bag with the 457. Get it settled in the bags and use the front rest to align the reticle. Then grip and shoulder the rifle lightly while not moving the POA. Squeeze the trigger slowly and don't disturb the POA. It breaks when it breaks.

IMHO squeezing the bag for fine aiming easily leads to several inconsistencies such as subconsciously correcting aim with cheek pressure, trigger hand/thumb, etc changing the travel of the rifle during recoil.

To align the reticle with your Rock BR rest, start by leveling the bubble left to right with the 2 front leveling screws/feet. Make the course vertical adjustment with the pull up section of the rest to minimize height of the wheel/screw shaft and lock it off. Make a medium adjustment with the vertical wheel and lock it off. Use the rear leveling screw/foot to make the fine vertical adjustments and the windage adjustments with the cradle screw.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom