The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Our upstairs TV uses a Roku Ultra in order to stream at 4k. We have problems with it fairly often (stops responding and needs to be hard booted). Alternatively downstairs I use the lower end Nvidia Shield, which is based on Android. I prefer it myself. The one feature it has that Roku doesn't is bluetooth support. Doesn't sound that important, but being able to put on a pair of headphones and listen to TV when everyone else is asleep, or listening to other things has worked out really well in our household. It's more expensive, but worth it to me. The one thing I hate is that they've done an update that now constantly has ads on the home screen. I hate that :poop:.
    That is exactly what we are having to do with our Firestick now that drives me crazy.

That’s interesting on the Bluetooth thing, I’d have never thought about that, but damn if that isn’t a good idea! Guess I need to do some more research.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That is exactly what we are having to do with our Firestick now that drives me crazy.

That’s interesting on the Bluetooth thing, I’d have never thought about that, but damn if that isn’t a good idea! Guess I need to do some more research.
    I first bought firesticks, but had issues with them early on. My thought is that they're too small to dissipate the heat well enough without being unplugged when not in use. Switched to Roku and used them for years and they're better, but have the same issue from time to time. Again, while the set top box is bigger than the sticks, they're still not properly cooled IMO. The Shield has been better and doesn't need to be hard reset as often, though it does occasionally need to be reset from the menu to clear up the occasional glitch. It seems to cool slightly better than the sticks and Roku devices in my experience.

The Shield is built as a gaming device, as well as a streaming TV device, which is why it has bluetooth built in. It can be used for game controllers, as well as keyboards, mice and headphones. I don't use it for gaming, but as mentioned it's nice for listening to TV and not disturbing the rest of the household. Not to mention at my age I can hear much better with bluetooth earbuds directly in my ear canal than listening to the TV speakers several feet away... ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    There is a cost premium though. The Roku Ultra is only ~$85, where the low end Shield TV is $130 and the Pro is $200. Worth the cost difference for my situation. May be worth it for you as well. Look to verify the streaming channels you watch are supported, as they don't support all the same channels as the Fire TV or Roku streamers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'll start out today with some gun talk, specifically rifle talk, since MM is coming after us rifle folks now.

I made some improvements to the Howa 1500 mini action .223 recently. I no longer setup my scopes as close to the barrel as possible, because I've found myself hunched over too much and causing neck/shoulder fatigue. With the scope a little higher, I can get a more natural/relaxed position and enjoy shooting the rifle more/longer.

• 0.125" thick Kydex cheek riser
    • Howa "tactical" bolt knob
    • DIP aluminum trigger guard / magazine well
    • EGW 20 moa base
    • Arken SH4 GenII 6-24x50 MIL scope
    • Arken 1.26" 34mm rings
    • Plumbers Putty in the buttstock for increased weight/balance

View attachment 169562

View attachment 169563

Took the setup out to the range last Monday and found some interesting results. The group size shrank on three brands and opened slightly on two others, ironically the two that opened up are the flavors it likes the most (Norma 77, Aust Out 69). I could blame a little bit on eye fatigue for the last two flavors, but I won't do that. In all seriousness, I actually think I have the diopter adjustment slightly off and believe it's messing with me a bit. For some reason I find that adjustment to be frustrating and have plans to revisit my method, because it should be straight forward.

That Wolf Gold was showing impressive results on the first two groups, then I blew it on the third.

View attachment 169564
    No fancy chassis?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Pick up a copy of Strelok Pro, then run your most accurate round past Tarzans Labradar. It will let you generate some pretty useful reference images of the hold over for that optic like this one for my G4i reticle on the Sig 716
    c9b4d5c73772d6334c03c8975e801d7c.jpg
    I second this with everything. That is an amazing app for shooters. Igor is the man!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Pick up a copy of Strelok Pro, then run your most accurate round past Tarzans Labradar. It will let you generate some pretty useful reference images of the hold over for that optic like this one for my G4i reticle on the Sig 716
    c9b4d5c73772d6334c03c8975e801d7c.jpg
    Ahh, good idea. I have the regular Strelok on my phone already...... I shall investigate the premium version !

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @RustyHornet, I like the Roku Sound bar. We've got two. They add decent speakers, Bluetooth compatibility, and have worked well for us.

This setup also puts your volume control on the same remote. The Roku remote runs it all.

The speakers won't match a separate sound system, but are a big improvement over the TV speakers.

We have DirectTV Stream, Hulu, Netflix, Paramount Plus, and various of the free streaming channels. They all work just fine.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Perched on the front door this morning. The new guitar should arrive today, and I have to 'sign' for it.

I just got a fed ex notice for delivery today. I have no idea what it is. Lol

Kinda like waiting for Santa Claus.

Now that I type this, could be primers I ordered Wednesday but on a Sunday? Dang. They must be really behind.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thank you all for the advice on the streaming devices. We’ve got a 10 year old 60” flatscreen, which is thick compared to the stuff out now, but I did invest in a nice Bose amp and speakers at that time too… the budget will only allow for a more affordable streaming stick, which I guess will have to do. I’ve been told.:nono:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom